Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
i use the measure method. someone yell at me if im wrong.

pull the springs. drain the forks. completely compress the tubes. fill til 6"from the top. use freakin fork oil.

10-15w

jc

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
i use the measure method. someone yell at me if im wrong.

pull the springs. drain the forks. completely compress the tubes. fill til 6"from the top. use freakin fork oil.

10-15w

jc

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
http://www.sohc4.us/forums/index.php?topic=9459.0

CB500 K0-2 : 5.4 (160cc) Replacement / 5.3~5.6 ozs. (155~165cc) at disassembly
CB550 K0-2 : 5.4 ~ 5.6 ozs. (160~166cc)
CB550 F0-1 : 5.4 ~ 5.6 ozs. (160~166cc)
Cb550F2 and CB500/550 K3 - 4.8-4.9 ozs. (145-150cc)

http://www.sohc4.us/forums/index.php?topic=2809.msg20430;topicseen#msg20430

1. Loosen the triple clamp at the highest clamp (right around the top filler cap nut) before you loosen the cap on top. If you do not loosen the triple clamp, it will be very hard to loosen the filler cap nut, And I am sure getting it back in is tough also.
2. Remove the drain plug bolt at the bottom of the shock on the outside (not at the very bottom when the front wheel is removed, and removed with a 6mm allen or hex, that is not the drain)
3. If the fluid is old, it may be sludgy and not come out at first. I pumped the shock upwards a bit and a gelatinous chunk came out then all the dirty old fluid drained out.
4. Next waste some ATF/Fork Oil by pouring fresh fluid in the top (a funnel really helps) until it comes out clean at the bottom (let it all drain). Now tighten the drain plug bolt. Now try to use the bottle of ATF/Fork Oil to estimate how much fluid you put it (you could measure it with kitchen tools if you wanted to be really accurate) and put in the proper amount of fluid. It will not fill it all the way to the top so it can probably be overfilled if you pour it until it overflows.
5. Check the torque of the other clamping points of the triple tree. It was around 13 foot pounds so I got a 20-250 (0-~20 ft-lb inch pound torque wrench from Sears for $75. These bikes have so many torque specs in this range that I figured it was worth it.
6. Tighten the filler cap. You should clean the filler cap nuts up nice while they are off, a drill and a tiny wire wheel do wonders if it is really really rusty, you can do much less if your nuts are shinier to begin with. The filler cap nut may be difficult to get started because the spring is pushing up against you. A perfect tool for this is a ratcheting box end wrench because you can push down with your finger while you turn the wrench. You cannot get a socket in there because of the cable directly above (on my CB400f at least). You could do it with an open end but I am sure it is much harder to do.
7. Tighten the top mounting points of the triple clamp to the proper torque. I think the CB400f was around 13 but check a manual. You don't want to over tighten these so at least use a big torque wrench.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
http://www.sohc4.us/forums/index.php?topic=9459.0

CB500 K0-2 : 5.4 (160cc) Replacement / 5.3~5.6 ozs. (155~165cc) at disassembly
CB550 K0-2 : 5.4 ~ 5.6 ozs. (160~166cc)
CB550 F0-1 : 5.4 ~ 5.6 ozs. (160~166cc)
Cb550F2 and CB500/550 K3 - 4.8-4.9 ozs. (145-150cc)

http://www.sohc4.us/forums/index.php?topic=2809.msg20430;topicseen#msg20430

1. Loosen the triple clamp at the highest clamp (right around the top filler cap nut) before you loosen the cap on top. If you do not loosen the triple clamp, it will be very hard to loosen the filler cap nut, And I am sure getting it back in is tough also.
2. Remove the drain plug bolt at the bottom of the shock on the outside (not at the very bottom when the front wheel is removed, and removed with a 6mm allen or hex, that is not the drain)
3. If the fluid is old, it may be sludgy and not come out at first. I pumped the shock upwards a bit and a gelatinous chunk came out then all the dirty old fluid drained out.
4. Next waste some ATF/Fork Oil by pouring fresh fluid in the top (a funnel really helps) until it comes out clean at the bottom (let it all drain). Now tighten the drain plug bolt. Now try to use the bottle of ATF/Fork Oil to estimate how much fluid you put it (you could measure it with kitchen tools if you wanted to be really accurate) and put in the proper amount of fluid. It will not fill it all the way to the top so it can probably be overfilled if you pour it until it overflows.
5. Check the torque of the other clamping points of the triple tree. It was around 13 foot pounds so I got a 20-250 (0-~20 ft-lb inch pound torque wrench from Sears for $75. These bikes have so many torque specs in this range that I figured it was worth it.
6. Tighten the filler cap. You should clean the filler cap nuts up nice while they are off, a drill and a tiny wire wheel do wonders if it is really really rusty, you can do much less if your nuts are shinier to begin with. The filler cap nut may be difficult to get started because the spring is pushing up against you. A perfect tool for this is a ratcheting box end wrench because you can push down with your finger while you turn the wrench. You cannot get a socket in there because of the cable directly above (on my CB400f at least). You could do it with an open end but I am sure it is much harder to do.
7. Tighten the top mounting points of the triple clamp to the proper torque. I think the CB400f was around 13 but check a manual. You don't want to over tighten these so at least use a big torque wrench.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts