Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m new to bikes. I got a license in Dec of '07 and purchased my first banger two weeks ago. I bought this MF'er for $875.00. It was running and braking well except it had fuel spilling from the carb over flow tube. My guess it was ‘cause the floats and needles were rusted up from the 1/8" of rust I found in the tank. I have already torn it apart in the hopes of giving it some sweet style. Now I’m waiting for parts to come in. If I can stay under 2K with out tearing the engine apart I will be pretty happy for my first bike. If this is something I like as much as I think I will, then once this one is finished and I have a few thousand miles under my ass then I want to rebuild an older 550 from the ground up. Here is what I have done so far:

When I got it home:

Swee Tape grips...available at your local bike shops:

Ripped the can off to put on new indicators. New low rise bars, bar end mirrors, and new grips:

No ugly seat and tank is off to clean:

Stripping the tank:

After 400grit:

I cleaned the tank with Rudy's Zep's Lime Calcium and Rust Remover trick and it worked wonders on the inside. I am waiting on the carb rebuild kits, new gauges and tail light to come in. After that I want to upgrade the brakes (either dual piston calipers or dual disk set up with new braided lines and pads) and paint it. After that it should be a pretty sweet whip to ride around town in and get to work. Let me know what you think and Ill keep the updates flowin’.

RT

·
Registered
204 Posts
Blue and orange honda hawk 400t was my very first bike. sold it to my buddy, his first bike. He sold it to another friend who hit and killed his dog with it, broke his arm and parked it on the same day he bought it. His first and last bike. don't go too crazy with the performance mods, cause i dont think too many exist. Might as well go crazy on the styling though. Good luck

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh man... poor dog. I really dont want to do any performance mods on it. I bought a 400 for a reason, It's pretty slow. I dont need temptation at this point in the game. I just want to like looking at my bike. Thanks for the well wishes.

·
Registered
326 Posts
quote:Originally posted by burntblacktoast

Blue and orange honda hawk 400t was my very first bike. sold it to my buddy, his first bike. He sold it to another friend who hit and killed his dog with it, broke his arm and parked it on the same day he bought it. His first and last bike. don't go too crazy with the performance mods, cause i dont think too many exist. Might as well go crazy on the styling though. Good luck
Good advice there.:D
These are NOT performance models,but they are OK bikes.
My brother-in law had one brand new and the stock suspension left a lot to be desired. Honda cheaped out with this bike and it wasn't their best effort.

As burntblacktoast suggested fix it up to look how you want it and enjoy it for what it is.

You can if you want,but I would not waste money and or time converting it to duel disc. A stainless steel braided brake line and premium EBC pads,new fluid and bled correctly should give you more than enough stopping power the performance/tire grip available.

·
Registered
13 Posts
quote:Originally posted by burntblacktoast

Good choice on a first bike man. Even though you're having to work on it, atleast you're learn a whole lot.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
I think Coolatula had good advice Re: dual disks. Spend the money on rear shocks and good rubber. I think you will have some fun on the 400 and it will be a great project. Once you have it done, I bet it will surprise a lot of people with its performance, too.

Ken

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice and the vote of confidence on the purchase. I was a little apprehensive at first because of the stock styling. It was hard to see the potential but the more time I spend with it the easier it gets. I will look in to pads and lines. Any hot shit steel lines I should know about to save me the time and misfortune of picking out a crappy set?

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
Well, one nice thing is that exhausts for that bike are easy to find...also, I believe that while not high-powered, those motors are supposed to run forever.

·
Registered
326 Posts
quote:Originally posted by sxecafe

Thanks for the advice and the vote of confidence on the purchase. I was a little apprehensive at first because of the stock styling. It was hard to see the potential but the more time I spend with it the easier it gets. I will look in to pads and lines. Any hot shit steel lines I should know about to save me the time and misfortune of picking out a crappy set?
The old stand by brake lines are "Russell" brand,but there are others that are good also such as Goodridge,Spiegler,Galfer etc.
Any of the name brand SS lines will be of a higher quality than your stock rubber line.

We put a front set on my buddy's KZ750 and it honestly had a better brake feel and performance(TWO finger stops with no line expansion)than my very nice CBR600 Hurricane that had stock lines and the CBR stopped VERY well in it's own right.

There are also components you can buy you can do yourself. You buy the line,ends you need and bolt them together.

J&P cycle or Dennis Kirk I think sell components.

If you can find the right size and length I would just buy a line already crimped and ready to go. Don't forget to buy NEW copper/crush washers!

Braided lines are very easy to come by and as long as you get the right size/type/angle on the ends(1omm/12mm etc.),hole size in the line,line size/type and correct overall length they will bolt up and work. It's not rocket science,but you have to match them to what you have/need in order for them to work properly/get the best performance
out of them.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/5/82/116/DPCLASS/Street-Bike-Brake-Lines-Brakes-Parts.aspx

http://www.spieglerusa.com/cfm/brakelines.cfm

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
quote:Originally posted by borzwazie

Well, one nice thing is that exhausts for that bike are easy to find...also, I believe that while not high-powered, those motors are supposed to run forever.
Thanks man! Where can I find exhausts mods for this? Just some straight pipes? Spread the knowledge seed man.

·
Registered
326 Posts
You can get universal type cone tip and Dunstall style mufflers(Emgo brand) from J.C. Whitney and other places. That's the cheapest brand out there I believe. Higher quality mufflers are considerably more money.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Finally! I had some time to upload and write some updates to this project. Things have been moving along lately. I have been riding and having a blast. Here are some pix of the progress:

Here is how it looked after I stripped the tank:

I cleaned the dirty ass carbs but I think they are part of a new problem:

I painted the crank case with some high temp:
Masked

Painted

With an unpainted tank shot (maybe I should have kept it unpainted...)

The tank with etching and builder primer on it:

I dont have new pictures of the finished tank but I will update but I will post some soon.

My Gauges came in!!!!:

A Side view of what was once a four foot console:

Ill have more photos very soon.

Next I have to upgrade breaks, finish painting the rest of the bike (i.e. fenders and covers), polish the metal, and fix this big 'ol seat. However, as I was riding this weekend I started to experience some serious throttle bog down as I was coming up my hill. It literally died right as I got to my driveway after a morning of riding. Now I have a very hard idle and a throttle that bogs for a few seconds and then clears up at high rpm although thats only when Im standing next to the bike, not riding it. I can barely get the thing to move! If it idles for more than say 10 seconds it ends up dying. Im worried I threw a rod or something but think that maybe my tank is still really dirty and rust is back in the carbs... I dont know. Im going to post a video of what Im dealing with in a subsequent post so not to load this one up too much.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Glad to see your project, I have the same bike got it for free just needed the carbs cleaned and a few things adjusted hear and there. Look forward to seeing your progress. I still have a lot of work to do on mine but heres a little pre-viz i did.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
quote:Originally posted by illking

Glad to see your project, I have the same bike got it for free just needed the carbs cleaned and a few things adjusted hear and there. Look forward to seeing your progress. I still have a lot of work to do on mine but heres a little pre-viz i did.

That thing looks cool! Im happy with this purchase finally. I was pretty apprehensive as I got it. It was different than earlier more common CBs and now the things that were freaking me out are my most favorite parts of the bike.

What did you use to make the seat?

RT

1 - 20 of 25 Posts