Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would cause the bottom of 1 out of 4 carburetors to corrode?

I pulled my bike into the garage after a ride saturday and gas was pouring out of the #2 carb overflow tube. I thought stuck float and pulled the bowl. I was amazed to see that the throttle body was horrible corroded. I pulled the bank off and removed the remaining 3 float bowls. They were nearly perfect. I dont get it.

Does anyone have a spare they could part with? I believe its a 26mm as measured from the inside diameter of the carb where it attaches to the intake boot (pipe).

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Was the drain screw stuck? If so maybe the other three got drained but that one did not?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Drain screws came out fine, in fact, everything including the jets look new as if the previous owner rebuilt them reguardless of the corrosion. WTF...really?

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
I have a set of RD400 carbs that the previous owner tried cleaning with laundry detergent I think. He claimed they were cleaned and dried and left sitting for some time in which the cleaner was still working on the aluminum turning it to powder.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have no idea what was done, but to have 1 of 4 carbs rot out like that is strange. I guess its time to search fleabay for a carb set for parts.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Which carb? #1 and #2 are usually the most messed up as people leave bike on sidestand.
Fuel inlet is between #2#3 so all the crap, water, 'stuff' gets into #2 carb before any other

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats what I was thinking, PJ. The whole bottom side looks like swiss cheese. It must have sat for quite a while for it to rot out like that. The previous owner hacked off the center stand and most of the right side P-peg mount to make room for a shitty 4-1 headder can.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts