Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Have a quick question about a 78 gs 750 i recently acquired. Frame says its a 78 but it has spoked rims and single disc break up front. Any ideas??

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Not sure what your question is. Yes, in 1978 you could get the GS750 with spoked wheels and a single disc brake.....if that is your question.

·
Registered
23,302 Posts
Hey all. Have a quick question about a 78 gs 750 i recently acquired. Frame says its a 78 but it has spoked rims and single disc break up front. Any ideas??
For 1977-1979 8V GS750s, they were available with either spoke wheels or cast wheels. In the US market, I believe the cast wheels came with a dual disc setup up front. All 8v GS750s would have disc rear regardless of wheel type.

Cast wheels were a mid 1978 production option (being installed on bikes built in feb 1978 onward for the 78 model year). I believe the cast wheel models were officially known as GS750EC's where as the spoke wheel GS750 was just GS750 for 78 and GS750E for 1979. There is nothing super rare or novel about a spoke wheel GS750 8v vs a cast wheel gs750, however there was a spoke wheel dual disc brake model called the GS750DB for 1977 through 1978 and those are kind of unusual but not any more valuable.

IIRC GS1000s for 1978 and 1979 came with spoke wheels as well, but I think they were laced to alloy rims instead of chrome steel. I also think those wheels are a direct bolt on for the gs750s because the hub is the same.

If you want to convert to dual disc, just get a disc, caliper, lines, and master cylinder off a dual disc model, I am pretty sure it just bolts on to the spoke wheel. you might need a fork leg off a dual disc bike as some years I don't think had caliper mounts both sides. I would take the opportunity to upgrade to braided lines and a modern master cylinder in the correct piston size that has a better brake switch than the stock suzuki because the stock switch is hot garbage.

There were also two stock seats available , a flat bench and a stepped seat. Both work fine but the flat bench is the one you want for the taller guys.

does that answer your question?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts