Cafe Racer Forum banner

41 - 60 of 196 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
+1 on the "superbike bars". Those work so well, on so many bikes. Almost like that is what should have come on many bikes in the first place.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Judeyramone

Blah, blah, blah...

The luggage rack is cool. Keep it (but remove the sissy bar portion). I have the exact same rack on my CB360 (need I post yet another picture of how cool Baby Sister is wearing her luggage rack, etc?) and I love it.

Seriously, that's sound advice: Don't get rid of the rack!

And you want superbike bars... once again, on my CB360, yadda yadda...

The only reason to get rid of the seat is because of the black tape on it. Just replace the cover and call it a day.
But DO ditch the crash bars/highway pegs... and the square auxiliary foglight (that's just ghey as hell).

DO NOT swap the guages.
DO NOT paint those Comstars.
DO NOT remove the side covers or factory airbox.
I'm even going out on a limb here, advising against replacement of the exhaust.
+1

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Superbike bars, but I love it how no one ever asks body dimensions. For all I know you're shaped like an orangutan.

Service the forks/steering head bearings/swingarm pivot, deglaze rotor, good pads, stainless lines, modern tires, replace rear shocks. In this order IMO.

Seat; Stock pan reopholstered. Old school if you like a hump.

80's superbike cutout style.

I'd do the flat-backed seat and get a tail bag to fit it. Tank looks too nice to scratch up w/a tank bag. Keep the rack for two-up or longer trips.

Comstar's are the ugliest wheels ever, ever, ever. PCed 70% gloss black gets my vote.

I wouldn't mess with the exhaust other than for weight savings.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
6'3" - you are too tall for that bike.

lower is one thing, but too low without readjustment of your leg and ass position and you end up hunched over with a pronounced arch in your back.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Hey, well, let him play around. If all he does is a few bolt on changes, he can find out what he likes or dislikes without buggering up the bike. Did the CB450F have different peg placement? If so, maybe a bit of internet searching could give him some more bolt on options.
Just for the trivial aspect, my mom had the same year bike but hers was the "A" for auto but in blue. I used to rag the crap out of her for it being an auto. Then my 72 T250 Suzi broke down {again}, and I was jones'ing real bad to ride. She let me take it, and I have to tell you, it was a real sweetheart. Imagine a 19 year old riding that thing, with the luggage rack on the back, and one of those hideous JC Whitney fairings on it. My friends were merciless,,, until I spanked their asses on our favorite back roads. {2 GS750s, 1 RD350!} Straight line slow, you betcha, but it could keep a good head of steam on the real gnarly stuff. And to this day, still the sweetest bike to get stuck in traffic with!

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Tabby,

Thanks for the review of the 400A

I was thinking about one of those A's for the $750 challenge event I may do. Seems like you can buy a decent one for a couple hundred,since nobody wants one. Any inherent problems with that model?

Paul, if you don't mind answering, what did you have to pay for your bike?

·
Registered
372 Posts
quote:Originally posted by JackC

Tabby,

Thanks for the review of the 400A

I was thinking about one of those A's for the $750 challenge event I may do. Seems like you can buy a decent one for a couple hundred,since nobody wants one. Any inherent problems with that model?

Paul, if you don't mind answering, what did you have to pay for your bike?
Sadly, my mom only kept it a couple of years, so I don't know how the auto part would hold up. I'm sure the rest of the engine would be typical for that series. I will say with some humor, that it WILL smoke the tire! My smart ass dad tried it. Funny as hell! He locked up the front brake, stood up from the seat and just rolled on the throttle. Slooooowly the rear tire started to turn over, and over, and over, {I think I can, I think I can}. Then the wisps of smoke gently curled off the tire. {I knew I could, I knew I could!} :D

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
A buddy of mine used to have a SOHC 750 hondamatic with a 836 kit, flatslide carbs, ported head, and a kerker exhaust. He used to whack the throttle open and the bike would leave a thick black line up the street. He took the cases apart, the tranny to a local race shop, and after that it would bang the shift from first to second. That bike took years of abuse and never broke once.

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
this thread is full of win. my favorites so far:

I think my new net name will be "Admiral Triangle"

because I am also a vet, though not a boat queer.

POS bikes are the new puppies.

punch yourself in the dick.

map of interwebs: monsters are from here.

tex

p.s.- new guy....thanks for filling out your bio. i hate having to ALWAYS call people out on that!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
yeh i know im tall for the bike but its in such good working condition and as a first bike, i didnt wanna go too big, i saw a few bigger ones for the same price and they were stored for years, not woking, maybe needed this part, maybe needed that part blah blah blah. so im gonna bang around on this little one for now till i really get the feel for all of it.

id really really like an old Triumph, someday.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

we are the bikers your mother warned you about.....mostly because your mom had never seen bikers in clown costumes before. Scared the fuck out of her.
Nah, she found the clowns amusing. It was you in drag that scared the fuck out of her.

Where'd that pic go?

Was there ever a Sport Control Kit for the 400s? Something makes me think there was. Were they ever popular for Clubman?

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Ratty-550

quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

we are the bikers your mother warned you about.....mostly because your mom had never seen bikers in clown costumes before. Scared the fuck out of her.
Nah, she found the clowns amusing. It was you in drag that scared the fuck out of her.

Where'd that pic go?

Was there ever a Sport Control Kit for the 400s? Something makes me think there was. Were they ever popular for Clubman?
sport kits were for euro market mostly. I don't have a honda accessory catalog from those years but I don't think they would have had them because they were not for every bike.

as far as racing - well ken was racing back then, maybe he remembers people racing cb400T hawks.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
I only remember one person racing the Hawk back then and I believe it was actually the 450 that was the mini-supersport model. It did not impress anybody one way or the other. Just kind of a mid-pack bike. Iam pretty sure there was not a Hondaline Sport Kit for the CB400T. The CB450 used more rearset pegs, but I don't know if they would bolt up to the 400. I suspect not.

Ken

·
Registered
13 Posts
just picked this up...1979 cb400 hawk t1, 18k, pretty clean. no rust etc. little fading and dent on tank but runs great. thought about a few mods (nothing irreplacable) like straight exhaust pipes, straight handle bars and maybe, a paint job down the line. Its all stock now....thoughts? I like the cafe look but dont necessarily want to lose this stock bike.
BTW Id buy your passenger seat/rack if you want to sell it.
Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
geeto67 your a dick! and why do you think you are somehow so above people. you must have a ton of time waste. really though, this site IS for anyone who takes the time to "drop by" and wants to learn something. for all the advice you give to EVERYONE on this site, maybe you should take a look in the mirror. go ahead, now is the point where you reply with something else lame to say...c'mon, we are all waiting for it troll...

41 - 60 of 196 Posts