Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to say Hi (new to forum and ridding) and quickly share my completed Yamaha. Picked it up last year, paid 1350 I think? with 3,500 mi in good condition. Bike has 500 mi since completion and has been pretty much trouble free and a blast to cruse around in. Pics: bone stock, midway, and completion. Enjoy (or dont) :}

Attachments

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Other than the pods, that green paint (?) and dual sport tires, it's ok.

Congrats, a good deal of the membership here won't tell you, you fucked it up!

What else besides the new makeup did you do?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yikes, if you rode it before hand you would not think so. Start up, throttle response, acceleration, top speed, braking, handling, night driving visibility, and overall reliability have all been drastically improved from previous state. The green paint was service tribute from my friends in thanks for my 6 tours over seas to Iraq and Afghanistan with the Marines and private industry...

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I think you're being a bit quick pulling the "I won a trip to the middle east and all I got was a taste for tahini" card.

Details about the bike first, man.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Spec Sheets pay off. just posting pics is asking for it.

Looks alright. Seat looks like it has no real padding. Other than that you have fenders, lights, signals, and I don't see anything dangerously cheap so good job. they are never done so be expected that you have more to do....

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I had a friend with that bike's near twin, in Red, back in '79 in the Navy in Corpus Christi, TX.

The bike was not bad, for it's day. Somewhat short of a superbike, but better than the old 750 twins by a good margin.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Not nearly as bad as the usual new arrival. But FYI, lowering the rear end didn't help handling. It slowed the steering down. That is not necessarily a bad thing for you, particularly if you do not ride aggressive twisties. It would be more stable in a straight line, and on highway, but would be "heavier" feeling initiating turns.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think you're being a bit quick pulling the "I won a trip to the middle east and all I got was a taste for tahini" card.

Details about the bike first, man.
You asked about the paint, that's the correct answer and only answer. I didn't choose the color. And I don't even know what a tahini is. I won't even bother with service details because you simply do not rate.

For the bike, to everyone, they are just some pictures of old bike needing some repair to what it is now. There are plenty of full blown projects on here worth every detail and your attention, this is not one of them so I kept it short (you would of been rather bored seeing in detail all the ordinary stuff being done. I asked my friend and father to complete this for me as I was gone the last 2 years on diplomatic security service. I would of loved to participate, but I cannot be two places at once. Not only did I receive a, IMO, a beautiful bike, it was hard earned money stretched further as it gave them a project to complete together.

Of course, maintenance came first, everything not being replaced was rebuilt, IE front shocks (one shock was empty, other had water in it), brakes, clutch, pet cocks, etc / all fluids changed (no fluid was in drive shaft), etc.

All new modern wiring and devices powered by a mini lithium ion battery relocated under the new seat, which, is very comfortable...

New parts: upgraded exhaust, upgraded rear suspension, upgraded carbs and air filter (yes, after it was done I took it to a local speed shop to have everything properly tuned, as if I would spend a bunch of money on something to enjoy and then be satisfied if it ran like crap, come on individuals!) upgraded brake reservoir and pads , upgraded headlamp, upgraded rubber (damn near had the originals on it)and all the little things like blinkers, hand grips, bars, etc

Modifications to the frame was chopping and welding the seat loop, and welding up a low pro box for wiring and battery under seat / non frame, shortening and reforming the rear tire guard.

Bars were left higher and no rear sets as too much of an aggressive lean aggravates an injury from my second "won trip", as it sits it does make for a very comfortable ride, reported by long time sport and Harley riders alike.

Hmm, what else, all paint and powder coating was done in house.

(Love using the kick start, it works, and works well, it did not before.)

Everything has been properly installed and torqued, the only issue, and I do mean only issue, was that the front tire was leaking which was mounted by HD, that has now been corrected. There are no ebay products or imitation parts on this bike. It is a very safe, properly running and fun bike, if there was room and pegs, I would put my mother on it.

I may be wrong (8ball) I do not think the rear was lowered, just the way the pictures were portrayed maybe?? (side profile below)

Not sure if I left anything out but my days are limited before my next "won trip" , and I have an hour before sun down, I am going for a ride, "later dudes"

Attachments

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
......I may be wrong (8ball) I do not think the rear was lowered, just the way the pictures were portrayed maybe?? .......
Yeah, that angle is better. If it is lowered at all, it isn't much. I'm not crazy about the dual sport tires, but that's just personal. I tend to push tire traction.....a bit. Over all, I like it. Your injury sounds like it made you avoid one of the most common bad decisions. clip-ons with out rear sets. ;) The riding position you have will make for a much more enjoyable experience for you. I've been riding sportbikes for over 25 years and prefer the aggressive riding position, but I don't use those bikes for long rides. Most people bolt on a set of clubmans or clip ons, and leave the pegs in their stock location....ending up sitting folded up like a taco.

Ride the snot out of it and enjoy it!

Just a word of advice. Keep up with your oil and filter changes. Those bikes had a tendency to spin the center con rod bearings if maintenance is ignored.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
So I'll be the dick here. Did private industry come after active duty ? You don't get won trips with private industry. I worked in the industry.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's not being a dick, only reason any of that nonsense was brought up was because someone was curious why builders chose frame color. I was just keeping the same lingo for uniformity, not worth going info further details of that whole boat. Now they are more "forced" than anything, bills bills bills :} glad the bike is running, saves on gas. Filled up on premium for the car at 3.90, ugh. Let's not get sidetracked though, keep it about bike stuff.

Ride safe

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I really like the yammy triples, especially with a noisy exhaust. It's a really unique sound, which was my favorite part of owning one. I believe I'd put some longer shocks in the rear to help it steer quicker since these heavy pigs are something to wrestle in the curves, but over all, I like it! Enjoy!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ill try to get a sound clip out soon, maybe tomorrow. It's a little on the quite side while just scooting, but under throttle it might sound like what you remember, let you be the judge on that. (forewarn, no Go Pro, so video quality will surely suck :} )

·
Registered
405 Posts
I like the green frame ,that it's not the typical Yamaha black frame makes this stand out..
I would fill in the space at the side covers ,with originals painted in the tank's general pattern.. then make one easley removeable concealling a storage area built between

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
You gotta rev that motha! I like how the triple sounds like a twin at idle, and like an inline 4 on throttle.
Mine seemed really hard to kick, like it had super compression. It was locked up when I got it, and I unlocked it by filling it all the way up with diesel, and rocking the bike back and forth in gear every couple of days for a few months, finally got a full 360° spin out of it, and got it started with the rebuilt MKII mikunis. I was pretty proud of the thing for running so well. A week later I rode it several hours from White House, TN to the Barber vintage festival in Birmingham, AL, and back with my wife on the back. It really sucked for a long trip with both of us on it, haha.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yah, I do not think I'm personally up for anything more than on hour on this one, maybe with smooth roads; not getting that in Wi though, harsh winters... I know, I did rev it, but, lol, the Iphone just couldn't pick up the sound, it sounded like the exhaust was hissing. It sounded terrible and very funny, just not worth a post. My buddy mentioned Go Pro reworked their original, which he purchased at a very reasonable price (120) and is pleased with the quality, used on bike rides, family events, etc.. So, I will look into that, plenty of other uses for it anyways. I'm surprised I have not already caved to one by now. For the hell of it, Ill try again before I get too busy, just put the phone farther away so the decimals are not so high, if it still comes up nasty, I'll post it anyways, give people stuff to make fun of. (as if there is not enough of that going on already on the site)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts