Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys figured I would document my slow transformation of my '79 Yamaha XS650 Special. This will be a long process as I work full time during the summer and and work and go to school during the winter, but all I have is time right now. Money on the other hand is limited too so that will be a factor in the speed. OK here are a few pictures of how the bike looked when I got it:

and here it is after new drag bars, grips, clutch cable, brake cable, and an original seat I bought off eBay:

The next step is to change the mirrors and lighting and to work on electrical and wiring. Also soon look for an upholstered bump seat that a guy I work with is gonna do on my spare seat pan.

·
Registered
699 Posts
man, just that little bit of work made that bike oh so much better, great work!

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea those couple parts have totally changed the look of the bike. Cant wait to do some more.

·
Registered
3 Posts
im buying a '75 xs 650 in a couple of weeks from a friend. the first thing im gonna do is the bars and seat. still debating between drag, clubman, and clip ons....

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Should have kept the seat on it. It is way cool.
Looking good. Those XS650s have so much potential if you don't go cookie cutter with the street tracker or wannabe Brit Cafe look. Just a good, clean look.

Ken

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea well I am really just going to do what I think looks good dont really care if it looks cookie cutter or not as long as I like it.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks bcr so i got a favor to ask you guys. I need help choosing a color scheme for my bike. The main reason for this choice now is to decide between black or brown leather on the seat. My options are:

All flat black with a brown seat and red and gray pin striping (I am a big fan of classic hot rods)

Same as above but with a black seat.

Black frame with forest green tank and brown seat.

Blue tank with silver frame and a brown seat.

Blue tank with black frame and black seat.

Deep red tank with black frame and black seat.

Or suggest something.

Thanks a whole lot for your help.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Black frame with forest green tank and brown seat sounds really interesting.
I like red with a silver frame/motor and a black seat also, but mine will be silver with a black frame and seat whenever I do, do it.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
i like your bike man! as long as the seat's brown, the rest is gravy!!! green sounds super cool!!!

really reconsider flat black though...that's almost worse than a fuggin' 59 club sticker! especially on a standard '79. you've come so far in the right direction, it'd be a shame to see it wasted into a cliche pit of cheesedom!

good job!

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea I know the flat black is a little cliched but yea i really like the idea of the forest green, but i also have another option.

satin maroon with gloss black frame and brown seat.

saw it on a bike today and loved the look.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Painting a bike is a highly personal statement. For me it's an opportunity to pay homage to some other machine that I happen to like. '68 Camaro SS sea foam green w/ a black stripe for the tank, brown seat if you gotta, and a red pin stripe would be killer, my .02$.
Anything but flat black. I'll second catboy of the 59 cheese factor. Resist at all costs.
Have fun with it.
cheers, bcr

·
Registered
222 Posts
My next bike will be a very dark, metalic British Racing Green with a satin clearcoat (TM). I like the color and I think it will be interesting to see how the metalic flakes are knocked down by the satin clearcoat.

--Chris

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK so I have decided on a color scheme. I am going with the glass black from and all then with flat maroon tank with a black leather seat. Should look pretty unique.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Its a 1940 Chevy Special Deluxe with a 3 inch chop and suicide doors. Its a fun little car.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey ZouLou,

Nice to see another guy cafe-ing an XS. I'm doing a frame-up on a '78E (the standard, not the Special). Currently the project is in many pieces of various sizes, but I hope to have it completed by Summer's end. I'd like to see what your bumstop seat will look like, once you've got it done.

Best,

Michael

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
To up date you guys on the progress. I just put a new wiring harness on my bike and incredibly everything works haha. But my next task is to start on a custom seat so keep a look out for progress pictures of that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts