Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, sorry for making this my first post on this forum. In my own (flimsy) defense, though, I have read a few builds on here.

With that out of my way, let's move on to the matter at hand. As stated in the thread title, I have an '81 GS550 and it has a shifter cam bearing.
9480591689_4a225241a7_n.jpg
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3807/9480591689_02fa200b29_o.jpg

The thing is, said shifter cam bearing is the LAST THING in-between me and full disassembly of the block, and thereafter immersion of said block in solvents so I can get it clean and back together again. It could probably be removed with some... persuasion, but I am reluctant to try too much of that because little bits like this are hard to find for a 32-year-old bike.

Being new to this whole fixing things thing, I don't know many tricks of the trade. Would this be something where I should freeze it? Because it would take a looooooot of effort to convince involved parties to let me put a grimey (note: that is going to be fixed once I get the solvent-averse bearing out) crankcase-half half in the freezer. Or is there something else that I should do? Because it would be super nice if there was, of if persuasion could be used with confidence.

tl;dr: NEED BEARING OUT NOW. HALP ME.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
is there a bicycle shop in the area? a specialized shop is preferred. they have a bearing removal/insert kit that is good. drifts and a adjustable puller ( slap hammer that a autobody shop might have but smaller) also see if they have some "park" brand bottom bracket tools, they might work, stuff for a bb30, 86, 90 pressfit bearings (trek, c'dale)

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
I'd say you'd need to press that bearing out, rather than drift it. You'll probably ruin it if you try and tap it out.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
If that is the bearing for the end of the shifter drum, then it is a $15 part. I wouldn't worry too much about destroying it. It should be available from your dealer, or try partsfish.com. Part # 09623-40001

·
Registered
405 Posts
putting stuff in the freezer isnt an issue if you put it in a clean plastic bags first...:)

secondly, heating the case generally lets bearings be removed easyer as the aluminum expands more than the steel...

an electric oven work's best heating the whole part for about an hour at 250-300 degree's ...wear leather gloves or thick oven mitts !!!

when I did the side bearings on the SR years ago, it was mom that was not happy about the smell through out the house...

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Freezing the case won't work to get bearing out, you freeze bearing to re-fit it into 'room temperature' crankcase
Heating case is the only way to go.
You should be able to just bump case on soft wood block and bearing will fall out

·
Registered
7,020 Posts
If there is any lip on the inside of the bearing that you can get to then a blind bearing puller is the proper tool to use. Autozone "loans" them if you don't have access to one. You pay for it and then just return it for refund when you're done.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Why do you need to remove the bearing? I am pretty sure solvent wont hurt it. Just make sure to put a little oil on it when you reinstall the shift drum. Maybe I am missing something.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts