Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still trying to close in on the bike I want to clean up this winter. There has been some discussion about my choices in an earlier thread here. I still love the CBX, but I acknowledge that a CBF is more conservative and probably easier to live with.

I've got a lead on 2 bikes I want to check out in person:
  • The closer one is an '82 CB900f, 64,000km (39,800mi). I've exchanged a few emails with the owner and had a brief chat. It sounds like it's dead stock and aside from wear items is still all factory original, including paint.
  • The second is an '81 CBX, all stock, 49,000km (30,500mi) and sounds to be truly 'like new'. Has the full fairing and panniers from the factory. Guy says it really is immaculate. I've exchanged 2 emails with this owner, no chat yet.
They both look and sound great in the ads, but we all know how different things can be when you get up close and personal. Both have too-high asking prices, but I know that there's all kinds of room to negotiate. I believe I could get the 900f for $3000 and the CBX for $5500 (Canukistani dollars). They are about 1h away and 1.5h away respectively, so not onerous to go see them.

I'd welcome any comments on known issues to watch out for. Any reason to run away from either one?

·
Registered
1,686 Posts

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
cbx CBX C B X but that is me ,maybe you like noise an inline four makes ,
me? i actually dislike inline 4's
one of the reasons i have a tl1000r is that it makes the best sound of any proddy mc bar none
where i worked the one lead welder not a motorcyclist ,a fisherman
would walk by huge smile ,slap me on the back and thank me profusely
they would wait listening for the booming 530 am arival,it could be heard for 3 miles coming in the cool air and walnut orchards acting as gods amp
even the boss who had 23 chronni corvettes so far would smile wryly ,then again tom has never missed a west coast nhra meet in 20 years
so yeah cbx's there is nothing like it sound wise and its a bitchen sound to boot
asking which one is silly an obvious troll

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
but dont buy a clapped out cbx
its a 100,000 mile engine if not abused and that means heat and gasoline thinned sump oil
2 things just as easy to ignore as they are to avoid

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I have owned both and honestly in stock form they are very different bikes.

The cb900F is a superbike. It is closer in kin to the 1978-1980 naked CBX in that it's a big honking leg burner of a GT motorcycle with a bit more "sporting" feel. Yes you can add a hondaline faring to it and saddlebags (I had hardbags for mine until the cast bracket to mount them broke), but at that point you might as well buy the CBX because you will be in it for the same money and the 1981 cbx is just a better sport tourer.

As to the 1981 cbx, it's a big sport touring motorcycle that is brilliant at that and that's about it. There are people that convert them to naked bikes but the aftermarket support for the pro-links isn't as good as the earlier ones and the naked cbx doesn't have the same visual appeal as a 1979-1980 nekkid cbx. I sold mine because it was such a big bike and honestly it felt like a hassle for the short trip commuting I did (although to be fair I should have just taken the bags off). $5K is low for one so if it checks out it's kind of a steal, something tells me you are going to find a ratty neglected bike though instead. But you should still go look at it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
These the bikes?
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes/oshawa-durham-region/honda-cb-900f-super-sport/1279606253?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-touring/city-of-toronto/rare-1981-honda-cbx/1274268241?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Personally I don't understand why anyone would buy a CBX, but to each their own. You will find better deals when we move into fall/winter, prices drop significantly.
Yeah, I'm not in a hurry. It would be nice if I can get a few hours on the road this year before cold weather...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cbx CBX C B X but that is me ,maybe you like noise an inline four makes ,
me? i actually dislike inline 4's
one of the reasons i have a tl1000r is that it makes the best sound of any proddy mc bar none
where i worked the one lead welder not a motorcyclist ,a fisherman
would walk by huge smile ,slap me on the back and thank me profusely
they would wait listening for the booming 530 am arival,it could be heard for 3 miles coming in the cool air and walnut orchards acting as gods amp
even the boss who had 23 chronni corvettes so far would smile wryly ,then again tom has never missed a west coast nhra meet in 20 years
so yeah cbx's there is nothing like it sound wise and its a bitchen sound to boot
asking which one is silly an obvious troll
:D The CBX does sound good.

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
$5K is low for one so if it checks out it's kind of a steal, something tells me you are going to find a ratty neglected bike though instead. But you should still go look at it.
Yeah, it's really hard to be sure of anything until you see them. I'm always amazed at the number of calls or emails I get when I'm selling something from guys who want to negotiate before they've even seen it. Stupid.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Will it be like Italian women and cars? Expensive to buy and even more expensive to keep?
ya know, the Italians made the alfa romeo spyder which is like the cheapest sports car to purchase and maintain. They also made the Fiat 124 and the Lancia beta.

Cagiva was the company known for pulling Ducati out of the production quality toilet, and the alazzurra is the poor man's Ducati pantah considering they share almost everything but bodywork.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts