Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
image.jpg

I always wanted an 82. I have seen folks with good success with tuning on these. Every time I come across one they are in decent original condition. I personally think its a mortal sin to take a good original example of a fine machine and take a saw, hammer and paint stripper to it. That's just my opinion. It is also my opinion that putting that type of seat setup on an early 80s bike is like installing the rear fins from a 1961 Plymouth Fury on an 82 Trans Am. But to each their own and no disrespect to ones build creations and dreams.

I would have like to have the chance to own this bike but like with most of my life........always a day late and a dollar short. Good luck to the new owner. The more I look at the photo the more I get used to the seat.

·
Registered
767 Posts
View attachment 11997

I always wanted an 82. I have seen folks with good success with tuning on these. Every time I come across one they are in decent original condition. I personally think its a mortal sin to take a good original example of a fine machine and take a saw, hammer and paint stripper to it. That's just my opinion. It is also my opinion that putting that type of seat setup on an early 80s bike is like installing the rear fins from a 1961 Plymouth Fury on an 82 Trans Am. But to each their own and no disrespect to ones build creations and dreams.

I would have like to have the chance to own this bike but like with most of my life........always a day late and a dollar short. Good luck to the new owner. The more I look at the photo the more I get used to the seat.
282236_471370042892518_2083993654_n HARRIS F1 KZ750 1984.jpg DSCF0206 (3).jpg

Yep that motor can really sing if treated well. The motor pictured is a 1983 GPZ750 and complete bike pictured competed in the World F1 TT championship in 1984 finished 8th overall (highest position for a privateer bike). World F1 TT was a 1000cc till 1884 then became 750cc and was to become World Superbike in 1988.

The engine made about 100hp rear wheel HP (best figures were 104hp). Engine spec had the crank much lightened, standard rods shot peened and polished, Omega pistons which gave a true 750cc and 12.5:1 compression, cams were reprofiled originals increasing lift and duration, valves were special oversize, with Moriwaki works springs. Gearbox was a full works Moriwaki close, carbs are also works Moriwaki Keihin CR 33.5mm in magnesium with nice big ports to breath into. Ignition is Mistral (John Carpenter) distributor electronic running on via a Lucas perm mag alternator.

A nice thing. Engines are bullet proof. Engine was stripped of its paint when restored!

·
Registered
767 Posts
Should have mentioned that we are now restoring another F1TT bike which as the sister bike to this. The bike above was ridden by Asa Moyce, the sister bike was ridden by Jim Wells and pictured below are both bikes at Villa Real Portugal in July 84, just a few weeks later Jim had a near fatal which ended his career.

Both bikes are Harris F1 framed, forks are Suzuki Rg500 mk9, Dymag wheels 16 front and 18 rear, Brembo Magnesium brakes. And just over 320lbs.

DSCF0080.JPG

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
View attachment 11998 View attachment 11999

Yep that motor can really sing if treated well. The motor pictured is a 1983 GPZ750 and complete bike pictured competed in the World F1 TT championship in 1984 finished 8th overall (highest position for a privateer bike). World F1 TT was a 1000cc till 1884 then became 750cc and was to become World Superbike in 1988.

The engine made about 100hp rear wheel HP (best figures were 104hp). Engine spec had the crank much lightened, standard rods shot peened and polished, Omega pistons which gave a true 750cc and 12.5:1 compression, cams were reprofiled originals increasing lift and duration, valves were special oversize, with Moriwaki works springs. Gearbox was a full works Moriwaki close, carbs are also works Moriwaki Keihin CR 33.5mm in magnesium with nice big ports to breath into. Ignition is Mistral (John Carpenter) distributor electronic running on via a Lucas perm mag alternator.

A nice thing. Engines are bullet proof. Engine was stripped of its paint when restored!
BEAUTIFUL bike boss. Now I really am energized to find the right machine to fulfill my vision.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Yep it is, light and very small with a seat height of just 27inches. The engine is pitched a way forward which helps to really push the front end.

Don't overlook the z650 they have good engines too. Fit with the aircooled GPZ750 cams and they really start to show their potential. Oh and don't forget those big early GPZ1100's they are brutal with a little work.

Photo's of another Harris we built a few years ago, Its a Mk1 Magnum with full endurance spec Z1000mk2 engine (rear wheel 122hp) and built in period style C1978 which was when the frame was made. A really competent handling bike, solid and stable, quick to turn too. When I was 17 I remember a local guy had Magnum 1 with a Z900 in it, I lusted after that bike for many years. In 85 I bought a Honda VF1000R and had quite a few Sunday runs with that magnum in tow, he hung onto the back of the VF everywhere and match me everywhere on the twisty bits. Although not in the current "café racer" style the Magnum really was a café racer of the 80's and a proper superbike.

Harris Magnum 1 Kawasaki 1.jpg Harris Magnum 1 Kawasaki 2.jpg Harris Magnum 1 Kawasaki 3.jpg

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
can't add much to this thread but here's a GPZ700 (us only model) that someone dressed up as a 1 of none ELR 750/700. Saw this bike at Rice paddy a couple months back and thought it was cool. This is pretty much how I would do a gpz 750 since I hate red.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Really really love the GPZ bikes. I hope to own an 1100 some day. I know what you're talking about OP.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A while back I had a GPZ1100 that was painted the ELR colors that was the EFI model. I heard some real nightmares about those early year fuel injection GPZs but never had a problem. I had more efi hiccups on my new TL1000S that I bought new than I ever had on that old kawasaki. I had grand dreams for it but just rode the fun out of it.

·
Registered
767 Posts
A while back I had a GPZ1100 that was painted the ELR colors that was the EFI model. I heard some real nightmares about those early year fuel injection GPZs but never had a problem. I had more efi hiccups on my new TL1000S that I bought new than I ever had on that old kawasaki. I had grand dreams for it but just rode the fun out of it.
The EFI systems on the later models is better for a number of reasons. I have never owned an 1100 but have ridden quite a few, mostly the later Unitrack. Most of the EFI problems I found were either rotten / high res connections (in the days when riders used their bikes everyday in all weathers) or voltage problems in the charging system.

I liked the Unitrack and it was a difficult decision when buying a new bike in 84 GPZ1100 or the new FJ1100 (neither Honda or Suzuki could guarantee delivery for summer of a VF1000R or Katana). I went with the FJ and loved it but bent it 3months later. Then came the VF1000R I bent that too. By this time I was skint and the local undertaker was hawking my street so I stayed away from big road stuff for a while.

·
Registered
767 Posts
For those that are interested in race bikes.

Mentioned earlier in this thread I was building another Harris F1, well here it is approaching final stages of build. As you can see the engine, suspension and wheels are in. Have just done the wheel alignment and in the process of positioning the engine in the right place (move across on its mounts and make spacers). Rather than starting a new thread I though I would post here.

The frame need a lot of repair work to correct the mods carried out by a complete dickhead who should never be allowed to weld again. The bike had a GSXR750 lump fitted; 1990 engine which is a great motor which shared the same longer stroke config of the 1st slabbies but wrong for this bike and was in the process of escaping from the chassis due to fore mentioned dickhead. We have made a new tank as guess what? The same guy who played with frame also screwed the old tank up. We fitted the new tank with a Suzuki RG screw cap and flange. Yokes are original to the bike as are the Suzuki RG500 Mk8 forks (as rare as....) and so to the original Dymags 16 and 18 rear. Likewise the brakes with are magnesium Brembo callipers, the disc carriers are also magnesium which is unusually as they are normally cast alloy.

We have sourced several cheap motors and have used the best of the parts. The crank has been lightened, tufrided and balanced to stock rods polished and peened and 810cc forged pistons. Oversize valves, big lumpy cams and race springs with titanium collars. The head has been gas flowed seats bored out for new big valves, the tracts have balanced as have the combustion chambers. Compression is just under 12:1 with the head skimmed. Gearbox is standard. Clutch is race kit from Barnett, new chains and manual cam chain tensioner. Carbs are 33mm Keihin CR. I have yet to make the exhaust.

Coming together nicely. Will post a couple more when complete.

The bike was campaigned by Jimmy Wells a British rider in 1984 in World F1 TT alongside the other Harris F1 (white bike) above as part of a 2 rider / bike team sponsored by Harris Performance and Shell oils, the other rider was Asa Moyce. Sadly Jimmy didn't finish the season due to a big off in the Ulster GP which ended his race career, despite missing the last three races he finished 13th in the championship. The bike was then used by another British rider Mark Linscott to win the British Motorcycle Racing Club (Bemsee) Unlimited Championship in 1985.

Harris F1 wells bike in build.jpg Harris F1 wells bike in build 2.jpg

·
Registered
10,485 Posts
I know someone looking to sell a GPZ1100 fairly cheap.

·
Registered
75 Posts

Mentioned earlier in this thread I was building another Harris F1, well here it is approaching final stages of build. As you can see the engine, suspension and wheels are in. Have just done the wheel alignment and in the process of positioning the engine in the right place (move across on its mounts and make spacers). Rather than starting a new thread I though I would post here.

The frame need a lot of repair work to correct the mods carried out by a complete dickhead who should never be allowed to weld again. The bike had a GSXR750 lump fitted; 1990 engine which is a great motor which shared the same longer stroke config of the 1st slabbies but wrong for this bike and was in the process of escaping from the chassis due to fore mentioned dickhead. We have made a new tank as guess what the same guy who played with frame also screwed the old tank up. We fitted the new tank and fitted a Suzuki RG screw cap and flange. Yokes are original to the bike as are the Suzuki RG500 Mk8 forks (as rare as....) and so to the original Dymags 16 and 18 rear. Likewise the brakes with are magnesium Brembo callipers, the disc carriers are also magnesium which is unusually as they are normally cast alloy.

We have sourced several cheap motors and have used the best of the parts. The crank has been lightened, tufrided and balanced to stock rods polished and peened and 810cc forged pistons. Oversize valves, big lumpy cams and race springs with titanium collars. The head has been gas flowed seats bored out for new big valves, the tracts have balanced as have the combustion chambers. Compression is just under 12:1 with the head skimmed. Gearbox is standard. Clutch is race kit from Barnett, new chains and manual cam chain tensioner. Carbs are 33mm Keihin CR. I have yet to make the exhaust.

View attachment 16061 View attachment 16062
Beautiful stuff. What will it weigh with fluids?

·
Registered
767 Posts
Beautiful stuff. What will it weigh with fluids?
About 320lbs with oils, brake fluid and 5 litres fuel. With rear wheel 105-110HP with the 810cc kit.

In period the bike was a little heavier at about 345lbs. Today with availability of lightweight bodywork, lightweight fasteners and brake fittings, tyres and a few other bits its easy to loose 5-8% of the bikes original weight. Unfortunately humans tend to get heavier.

·
Registered
767 Posts
stuff like this deserves its own thread. why not start one in the racing section? bikes are great.
I don't think there is an appetite on this site for race bikes which I thought was the origin of the caferacer style. If was posting photos of CB750 or Commando or CG125 commuter café or spending 6 years building a Triton it would be different = hero status.

There is some real special stuff in the shop at the moment but I who the fuck is interested in Harris Magnums and F1, Egli's, Manx's, TZ's, TR's. Doing a very special Yamaha FZ with Genesis top end to compete in championship next year and TT2's for the 2016 Manx GP (or whatever its called nowadays). I am doing a GS1000 perhaps that will work for some.

I guess its pertinent to the individual and what you can realistically aspire too, I am not talking money but rather what is available.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
great bike and parts list and story!
those look like some beefy forks for that time.
what an interesting rear shock set up. trying to picture how the bottom mount attaches to the frame.

The frame need a lot of repair work to correct the mods carried out by a complete dickhead who should never be allowed to weld again. The bike had a GSXR750 lump fitted; 1990 engine which is a great motor which shared the same longer stroke config of the 1st slabbies but wrong for this bike and was in the process of escaping from the chassis due to fore mentioned dickhead. We have made a new tank as guess what? The same guy who played with frame also screwed the old tank up. We fitted the new tank with a Suzuki RG screw cap and flange. Yokes are original to the bike as are the Suzuki RG500 Mk8 forks (as rare as....) and so to the original Dymags 16 and 18 rear. Likewise the brakes with are magnesium Brembo callipers, the disc carriers are also magnesium which is unusually as they are normally cast alloy.

The bike was campaigned by Jimmy Wells a British rider in 1984 in World F1 TT alongside the other Harris F1 (white bike) above as part of a 2 rider / bike team sponsored by Harris Performance and Shell oils, the other rider was Asa Moyce. Sadly Jimmy didn't finish the season due to a big off in the Ulster GP which ended his race career, despite missing the last three races he finished 13th in the championship. The bike was then used by another British rider Mark Linscott to win the British Motorcycle Racing Club (Bemsee) Unlimited Championship in 1985.

View attachment 16061 View attachment 16062

·
Registered
767 Posts
The bottom of the shock is mounted on the swing arm (underneath) and connected to the rocker at the top. The rocker pivots (almost) centrally on a frame thu shaft. The other side of the arm is linked to the top of the swingarm via the wishbone. Rising rate and quite special in 84.

The forks are pure GP RG500 Suzuki in 40mm, works bikes and later RG got 41mm (see other Harris in white above) the brakes are similar quality.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts