Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I own a 1982 GS450 and I am wonder if someone could look over this simplified wireing diagram and see if it looks right?

I'm going for the basic systems to get it running, I know the coils need to be attached to Points or Picksups (are those the spark plugs?)

wire diagram.PNG

simple.PNG

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
...I know the coils need to be attached to Points or Picksups (are those the spark plugs?)
Spark Plugs are connected to the high tension wire that comes out of the coil. (the big fat wire) Points or pickups is what feeds low voltage to the coils (the thin wire)

A coil is a transformer, it takes a small amount of electricity (voltage) and turns it into enough electricity to make a great big spark (lots-o-voltage)

… the points or pickups are not shown on your diagrams :/ unless it's that thingy labeled ignition in which case it don't look like that. lol unless that's a pickup in which case it still don't look much like that.

btw: the coils probably need to be well grounded where they bolt onto the frame.

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
Actually, something doesn't look quite right about how that "starter relay solenoid" is connected :/ the way a Relay works is, it's basically an electro magnet that throws a big switch On. It's only active when you want the starter motor to run.
… start button is a momentary switch and the kill button is either a momentary switch or a toggle switch, that whole part of the diagram is obscure, an it seems to be missing a key switch.

Maybe you better just find a better diagram :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
K, you messed up a bit :|

Things to note, wiring diagram lines are all drawn as horizontal or vertical in order to make the diagram easier to follow. If you have one line go over another but not physically connected, you draw it like a little speed bump:

Ground symbols are standardized like this or something similar, they always point down ;) to the ground

… I think you missed the points completely and combined them with the ignition switch on your diagram :rolleyes: Please try again.

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
Ya, the bike is missing a few lights and a horn would be nice, unless you want to put a bell on it.

… and Brake light is spelled B R A K E unless it's broken, then it would be called the broken light ;)

… and you called the Battery a button

but you did spell rectum frier correctly

1 - 7 of 7 Posts