Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am replacing the fork seals on my '82 GS750E and decided to order Sonic springs while I have it apart anyway. In looking at my Clymer manual, it says the fork spring lengths should be 17.8" and 6.0" . The springs that were in there are 17.4" and 2.5" (not a typo!).

I realize that the bike seems to be somewhat of a Frankensteined mish-mash of parts from various years, but I have no idea how the springs could work properly being so short. When assembled, you have to compress the springs a bit to install the cap bolt so it seems to be right. I do not know how long the Sonic springs will be so hopefully they will work out.

Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
After so many years under compression, I'd imagine the springs have shortened somewhat... not sure if they would get that short though.

You could always go with some race-tech springs. They're all the same length and you use a custom spacer+preload-spacer to get the right over all length.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks CaTacL1sm... I hear that the Sonic spring kits come with the custom spacers as well so hopefully I can dial it in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts