Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm get'n an 82 750cc Virago. I am deffenitly going to cafe it out. I saw some pics of a cafe'd 82 or 84 Virago; some guy on-line built it (man I gotta give props to that dude!).

I was wondering if anyone here has a Virago?

Yeah, I got a loooooooot of work ahead of me.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
zi service a couple of them, 920's

the 82, maybe 82-83, has miserable type 2 hitachi carbs and that stupid gulp or whatever valve, pretty sure and I have a pair of them scattered right this minute

I'm still itchin to have a TR1

which is the chain drive version of the shaftie virago

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
zi service a couple of them, 920's

the 82, maybe 82-83, has miserable type 2 hitachi carbs and that stupid gulp or whatever valve, pretty sure and I have a pair of them scattered right this minute

I'm still itchin to have a TR1

which is the chain drive version of the shaftie virago

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know its heavy, but I like the shaft. My old GS had a shaft.

The thing about this bike that really gets me is the mono-shock.

There is some guy on another forem that cafed his Virago and I like it, but I got somthing else in mind for mine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know its heavy, but I like the shaft. My old GS had a shaft.

The thing about this bike that really gets me is the mono-shock.

There is some guy on another forem that cafed his Virago and I like it, but I got somthing else in mind for mine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So you know of the flaw in any Virago.

Yeah, its not so hot, but I have an idea...kick start? Or just shims and a yearly rebuild.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So you know of the flaw in any Virago.

Yeah, its not so hot, but I have an idea...kick start? Or just shims and a yearly rebuild.

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Qingdao

As far a the frame being right for a cafe build you tell me. This is not mine and I am doing something different, BUT I LIKE!

http://www.caferacer.ca/cafegallery/displayimage.php?album=2&pos=195

I don't know about the Chen-Chen front tire.
Dude you are tool. If you knew the amount of frame mods that the above bike needed to even begin to look that good you would put the virago out by the curb and blind youself so you might not ever be tempted again. There is a lengthy discussion of that bike here, go look it up and you will see what I mean. Fucking newbie pie eyed bullshit. Just about everything on that custom 920 you posted is hand made - hope you have a welder and a limitless supply of metal and talent cause you are going to need it.

Honestly, I can't think of a worse platform to start with. A freaking bass boat has more potential than that lump o' shit.

Notwithstanding the design flaws of the virago which make it a bad canidate (not the shaft drive - bmws are shafties and they make some interesting cafe bikes) the bike itself mechanically looks like a floater. I hope you didn't pay US currency for it or anything on that piece. Did you get a title at least?

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Qingdao

As far a the frame being right for a cafe build you tell me. This is not mine and I am doing something different, BUT I LIKE!

http://www.caferacer.ca/cafegallery/displayimage.php?album=2&pos=195

I don't know about the Chen-Chen front tire.
Dude you are tool. If you knew the amount of frame mods that the above bike needed to even begin to look that good you would put the virago out by the curb and blind youself so you might not ever be tempted again. There is a lengthy discussion of that bike here, go look it up and you will see what I mean. Fucking newbie pie eyed bullshit. Just about everything on that custom 920 you posted is hand made - hope you have a welder and a limitless supply of metal and talent cause you are going to need it.

Honestly, I can't think of a worse platform to start with. A freaking bass boat has more potential than that lump o' shit.

Notwithstanding the design flaws of the virago which make it a bad canidate (not the shaft drive - bmws are shafties and they make some interesting cafe bikes) the bike itself mechanically looks like a floater. I hope you didn't pay US currency for it or anything on that piece. Did you get a title at least?

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
The frame of the Virago is perfect for any kind of build. It runs from the steering stem to the swing arm pivot. That is it. That is all it does. Everything else bolts to it. The shock bolts to the frame the seat mounts to a subframe. The engine is a stressed member, there is no engine cradle. The footpegs mount to plates that bolt to the frame. The rear fender and such bolt to sub frame. The exhaust bolts to the footpeg mounts. The point of all this is that if you strip a Virago down to a bare rolling chassis you can build any kind of bike you want from a BOTT race bike to a blinged out chopper. The chain drive version was not a limited edition, it just didn't sell very well. The cases of the chain drive version, XV920RJ, are different than the shaft drive version. So in my opinion, the Virago can be whatever you want it to be. If you have no imagination, then stick to a CB750 or XS650.

Ken

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
The frame of the Virago is perfect for any kind of build. It runs from the steering stem to the swing arm pivot. That is it. That is all it does. Everything else bolts to it. The shock bolts to the frame the seat mounts to a subframe. The engine is a stressed member, there is no engine cradle. The footpegs mount to plates that bolt to the frame. The rear fender and such bolt to sub frame. The exhaust bolts to the footpeg mounts. The point of all this is that if you strip a Virago down to a bare rolling chassis you can build any kind of bike you want from a BOTT race bike to a blinged out chopper. The chain drive version was not a limited edition, it just didn't sell very well. The cases of the chain drive version, XV920RJ, are different than the shaft drive version. So in my opinion, the Virago can be whatever you want it to be. If you have no imagination, then stick to a CB750 or XS650.

Ken

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

"TOOL" are you serious? You just called out someone who just posted photos of a bike and you are acting like an ass. GET THE COCK OUT OF YOUR MOUTH.

And the above posted bike doesn't have major frame mods, shit for brains.

And yeah go along with the crowd and your CB750 SHEEP.

PS: No offence to the Honda owners in the crowd.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts