Cafe Racer Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m starting a tracker build, picked up a 1983 cm450, it needs a bit of work. It’s already been converted into a cafe racer.

right now I’m having trouble figuring out exactly what to do.
for the most part I know what I want to do but I am lost on an risky finding or know what parts to get.

I need new forks, and handbrake assy. Looking to ad a digital odo as well.
for the most part I can find everything else I need in terms of parts, ODEM parts for the engine and anything mechanical.
but I’m having trouble with forks, like what I could actually put on to the bike without modifications or if there’s ones I could put on, and then what would I have to modify.

any help is appreciated,Talk to me like I know nothing. I’m trying to learn as much as possible.

·
Registered
890 Posts
we need to know specifically what you have now and what you want to end up with. then we can tell you why you're an idiot, etc.:ROFLMAO:

seriously though, the idea you have in your head needs to be described or visualised and then we can either help or direct you to say, do the ton where they tend to be more into things modified for appearance sake rather than performance sake. it's more performance and function here.

the basic issue i see is that you have a chopper someone made into an alleged cafe racer that you now want to into something else. and it's an auto. it might not end up where you want, but you might learn a good amount none the less.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I’m starting a tracker build, picked up a 1983 cm450, it needs a bit of work. It’s already been converted into a cafe racer.

right now I’m having trouble figuring out exactly what to do
Let's see some pics of your project so we can get an idea of the situation.

The old CR.net would have the hazing already on full bore......but the new CR is more sensitive and tolerant and socially correct.

As far as suspensions and front ends are concerned there are swaps that can be made with minimal modification. Sometimes... Actually more of the time steering stems need to be shortened to be made to work for newer USD front ends. Allballsracing.com has a fork conversion page to help guide you with bearings, available front ends, etc......but the main thing is to visualize a look for your ride while all the while ensuring you are at best maintaining original performance and hopefully improving performance.

What's your riding experience?

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Look up aftermarket steering bearings for your bike. That will probably give you a list of alternative bikes that use same bearings. You will then have an idea of whats a more or less direct replacement. It would probably be a good idea to get a CB400T or maybe CB750/900 'Supersport' rear wheel to replace the 16" on CM if you really want a flat track style.
You'll also find all modern USD forks are substantially shorter than even stock CB400 / 450 forks unless you use 'dualsport or MX forks which will probably be way too long?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts