Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I got a few questions for doing a front fork conversion. What kind of front ends do you guys use and how indepth is the swap. Im thinking of using either a CBR or GXSR front end. Can I do this with ease or am I gonna have to break out the welder and get creative?

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
First off 'front ends' bolt on, you don't need no f'ing grinders & welders unless you are scratch building a frame.

1983 CB550 and you are going to stick a 'front end' on the rest of that bike using parts that are suited to a motorcycle that is several generations newer an made for bikes with way more weight and power, way, way more weight and power. You are going to have like 30 times the brake force on the front end only, you are going to have real suspension on the front and shite for brakes and suspension on the rear :|

By now somebody has already fitted a CB550 with every stolen front end imaginable! But only because it is pretty, rarely because it was a great idea. (n)

Look up look way up at the top of the page at that blue Norton, if you can do that good you are f'ing brilliant, but you will notice he did not 1/2fuk up the other 2 bikes with inappropriate front ends. (y)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yo dude, just asking a question. No need to get angry about it. Im still new to this, how am I supposed to learn if you dont ask. See now I know I dont need to hack up my frame to do this. Plus on top of that you have no idea my plans for the bike. So thank you for making everyone in this forum seem like a**holes. Since you cant ask a question with out someone being a d*ck.

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
I'm not angry. Just telling you like it is, none of the regulars here are going to tell you much different. Holler if you need some technical help that is what the guys here excel at.

and best luck with your art project.

and yes we have a very good idea what your plans are for the bike,
no fenders, no guards, no air box, no real performance modifications, LED everything, marginal signals, lowered seat with stock pegs, painted steel rims, oem rear shocks, chopper license plate, fat tires, big open triangle with something about bone lines. Am I close?

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Yo dude, just asking a question. No need to get angry about it. Im still new to this, how am I supposed to learn if you dont ask. See now I know I dont need to hack up my frame to do this. Plus on top of that you have no idea my plans for the bike. So thank you for making everyone in this forum seem like a**holes. Since you cant ask a question with out someone being a d*ck.
When I read your post I thought someone had left the gate open and ts185 got out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey guys I got a few questions for doing a front fork conversion. What kind of front ends do you guys use and how indepth is the swap. Im thinking of using either a CBR or GXSR front end. Can I do this with ease or am I gonna have to break out the welder and get creative?
Hi Shane,

We are in the process of building a pair of Classic Superbikes. Because we will race them around the world we will be trying to keep them looking close to how they looked when raced. When we made this dissension it forced use to use conventional forks and twin rear shocks. Rules allowed us to go to 41mm forks but we will stay with a braced OEM chassis. Here is where you need to start considering what you want to make your motorbike do.

Early (especially sporty bikes; ours are Suzuki GS1100E's) motorbikes tend to have flexible frames. Bracing can get a good percentage out but by no means all the flex. With each component you go screwing on you scooter you must consider what effect that change will have on the total package. If you were to change the triple clamp and that change extended the wheelbase then that will slow down the steering but make the motorbike more stable on the highway. Almost everything you do; wider wheels, larger fork tubes,braced swing-arms and on and on will cause the frame to twist. The twist is not a huge problem but when it untwists can be a bitch.

Our motorbikes are being built so we can head back to the IOM and do the Manx Classic again then on to Phillips Island for the Classic there. Because of C-19 not this year because most of the big events are DX'd but next year that's the plan. Because of planning on the IOM we have spent quite a measure of time bracing the chassis and swing-arm and finding a good set of forks to work with (ALL-Balls bearing has a good chart that shows what forks will work with which steering stems and triples) you motorbike races such as the Irish Road Races are held on public roads and tend to be quite bumpy. This bumpiness dictates that we make the foundation of our racers very solid so we can dial in the suspension based on weather and road conditions without chasing chassis flex any more than necessary. If you are building a street only bike then this may not have the degree of importance it does for us.

Do take the time to sit down and write down each change you are thinking about making then list the pro's and con's of the change and the cost. That way you will begin to get a feel for what amount of time and money you are setting out to spend. My advice at this point is to take what ever time and money you come up with and double it and you'll be in the ball-park.

Good luck to you and most important "HAVE FUN!"
Cheers
Richard

·
Registered
654 Posts
Another consideration would be the wheels. When you change the forks you will most likely need to use the wheels that fit the forks or modify the wheels you want to use to fit the forks. It's best to have front and rear wheels match, style wise, so this would mean addressing the rear too. When you put the 19" spoke wheel on a CBR front end, you have to change the wheel bearings to fit the 20mm axle and then you have to make rotors and calipers fit and line up without binding or rubbing, it gets dicey. It's doable but it's a lot of work and trial and error. Also it must be safe! no cheating with bearings or brakes or pain will probably result. Please be careful and take your time. Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Another consideration would be the wheels. When you change the forks you will most likely need to use the wheels that fit the forks or modify the wheels you want to use to fit the forks. It's best to have front and rear wheels match, style wise, so this would mean addressing the rear too. When you put the 19" spoke wheel on a CBR front end, you have to change the wheel bearings to fit the 20mm axle and then you have to make rotors and calipers fit and line up without binding or rubbing, it gets dicey. It's doable but it's a lot of work and trial and error. Also it must be safe! no cheating with bearings or brakes or pain will probably result. Please be careful and take your time. Good luck.
All is true, We went with the bits off a Suzuki SV650. We did away with the rear brake that is stabilized with a long arm and set it up with the type that mounts off the hud (sprocket carrier) with the SV front that is almost a bolt on proposition. We did some work with the steering stops and welded a mounting to the steering stem for mounting the gauges and early 80's 1/4 fairing. As Oldhonda said it can get quite involved if you don't plan ahead. Lucking in our case the SV stuff transfers over pretty well. Even the wheels are a swap over. If we chose we could even go with 180 rear tyre
if we wanted or even 190's or 200's if we spaced the sprockets a wee bit. We are sticking with 160's as we think that anything wider would start driving the chassis beyond it's limits not to mention that much more lean angle and we're going to need to chamfer the engine cases.

Again ALLBalls catalog has all sorts of cross over lists that let you figure out what bearings will let you use CBR wheels on early what ever's with a different axle diameter.

Cheers
Rich

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey Rich46,
Is the Island Classic still on your agenda for 2021?
If so, what’s your rider or team name?
I’ll be wandering around the pits next year and would like to drop in and have a look at your beasties.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey Rich46,
Is the Island Classic still on your agenda for 2021?
If so, what’s your rider or team name?
I’ll be wandering around the pits next year and would like to drop in and have a look at your beasties.
Hello Peter,
The riders will no doubt be Wade Boyd (has about 50 IOM starts if you include sidecar outfits) and Eric Lindauer. We would like to race our two Classic Superbikes and a 1000cc Moto Guzzi plus a Honda NC-30 400cc. The team is Sportcraft.

If you would like to check out our last adventure go to [email protected] and she has the story of our last adventure or better stated mis-adventure

Cheers

·
Registered
43 Posts
OK Rich,
blog received and left me travelling down memory lane, not to mention The Promenade, Glencrutchery Road, et al. Holly’s blog was absolute brilliant, right down to the “right across the other side of the country” comment. As an Australian, I view distance through a similar prism to you. What an epic trip. Sincerely hope you‘ll be at the Phillip Island Classic in January. Our ferry tickets are booked, from Tasmania, now it’s just a matter of waiting to see if the world has returned to some sort of normalcy by then.
thanks for letting me share your adventure.
Peter

·
Registered
11 Posts
OK Rich,
blog received and left me travelling down memory lane, not to mention The Promenade, Glencrutchery Road, et al. Holly’s blog was absolute brilliant, right down to the “right across the other side of the country” comment. As an Australian, I view distance through a similar prism to you. What an epic trip. Sincerely hope you‘ll be at the Phillip Island Classic in January. Our ferry tickets are booked, from Tasmania, now it’s just a matter of waiting to see if the world has returned to some sort of normalcy by then.
thanks for letting me share your adventure.
Peter
Peter,
We do look forward to coming back to PI. We have done quite a few races across the waters and the P.I. Classic is the one that we'd skip the others to attend. If, as you say the world returns to some semblance of normalcy we are planning to start next year at PI and then we would love to do a few of the other IOM road races put on by Mr. Peach before the formal TT course races. This way we can leave the motorbikes with friends on the island and save some of the costs running them back and forth. That's not mentioning the amount of time the scooters spend at sea.

Truly glad you liked Holly's blog. She was the one who found the engine after we broke the first lump......Well it may have also been with a wee bit of help from the fairies as we stopped at their bridge (just before you get back into Douglas) and appealed to them for special consideration and help .

Cheers

·
Registered
43 Posts
Peter,
We do look forward to coming back to PI. We have done quite a few races across the waters and the P.I. Classic is the one that we'd skip the others to attend. If, as you say the world returns to some semblance of normalcy we are planning to start next year at PI and then we would love to do a few of the other IOM road races put on by Mr. Peach before the formal TT course races. This way we can leave the motorbikes with friends on the island and save some of the costs running them back and forth. That's not mentioning the amount of time the scooters spend at sea.

Truly glad you liked Holly's blog. She was the one who found the engine after we broke the first lump......Well it may have also been with a wee bit of help from the fairies as we stopped at their bridge (just before you get back into Douglas) and appealed to them for special consideration and help .

Cheers
Spot on Rich. I only ever crossed Fairy Bridge once without greeting the fairies and, YES, I ran out of petrol halfway between Ballasalla (or however it’s spelt) and Castletown. Always said Hi after that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Spot on Rich. I only ever crossed Fairy Bridge once without greeting the fairies and, YES, I ran out of petrol halfway between Ballasalla (or however it’s spelt) and Castletown. Always said Hi after that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
LOL Peter ,

I must guess that you gota have been there to get this one. I'd love to promote the fact that racers are not superstitious..........but then that would be nonsense. Every time we did the TT course we'd tip our cap or say hello. No not a believer .......not .....me !

1 - 16 of 16 Posts