Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just got a new bike in...well new to me. I just received the bike in the title and it runs perfectly! I paid 800 for it and it just and new tires, oil changed, vales and carburetors rebuilt, only thing it needs is new gauges...Oh and to be a cafe racer! I have never done anything like this before but I do a lot of body work and stuff on cars so I have a full shop. I am just basically wanting cosmetic stuff for it. It runs just fine for me to get around town so nothing to change there. here is what it looks like now.
2013-08-31 10.06.32.png
I already took the silver seat bar off and the badges off the bike!

Thanks for the help guys!!

(budget sensitive please :D)

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Great engine. The frame does not lend itself well to the "cafe racer" style, though anything is possible with enough time and money.

The backbone of the frame rises to a very "tall" neck.

At least the seat area isn't scooped like a KZ440LTD frame.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
I'm pretty sure that spoked gs550 wheels and such will fit, the dual disk setup from a gs750 will fit the gs 550 stuff, as well as say, an entire gs750 or (early)1000 front end.

I mean, the bike has possibilities, and wasn't as structurally neutered as many of the other small "cruiser" bikes of the same era.

I'm just saying this isn't as hopeless a case as a LTD or C. I have a friend who made quite a nice little street racer from a gs425, which has a very similar frame.

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
I'm pretty sure that spoked gs550 wheels and such will fit, the dual disk setup from a gs750 will fit the gs 550 stuff, as well as say, an entire gs750 or (early)1000 front end.
I'm pretty sure the 4 cyl rear wheels have wider cush drives than the 2 cyl GS bikes - not sure if the 450 cush drive will fit the 4 cyl wheels either.

Just a heads up because you may have chain line issues to deal with.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
I'm pretty sure the 4 cyl rear wheels have wider cush drives than the 2 cyl GS bikes - not sure if the 450 cush drive will fit the 4 cyl wheels either.

Just a heads up because you may have chain line issues to deal with.
That could very well be true.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah the wheel doesn't allow for a thicker tire I noticed. What I am mainly wanting to do is just get better bars(these suck) and new gauges. I dont really know how to tell what bars to get or not. and gauges yeah same story! Hahaha

1 - 8 of 8 Posts