Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
Does any year Yamaha R1 Complete front fork which includes the break system , suspension , rims and tires , and handle bar with gauges fit in my newly purchased Stock 83 Yamaha Virago 500 ..Thanks guys
I’m new in the forum community

·
Registered
790 Posts
did you read this first?

asking because people here are more about how things work, not putting late model upside down forks into cruisers to fit an alleged cafe racer ideal you have in your head. and the responses new people get are often not what they want or expect. dotheton is much more the vibe for that kind of deal.

i have no idea about your question. the all balls site will give you info about bearings that might allow you to do it, otherwise you have someone make you a new stem for the r1 lower triple to suit the frame. if no one's ever done it before you need to do the leg work yourself.

·
Registered
235 Posts
One thing please do the research before completing this modification.
Its not conducive to a functioning motorcycle and can make the steering geometry flat dangerous to ride at even legal speeds. Please at least work out rake and trail numbers.
If your after art that will look cool outside the local starbucks follow the bellow link.

I feel like im enabling an alcoholic

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One thing please do the research before completing this modification.
Its not conducive to a functioning motorcycle and can make the steering geometry flat dangerous to ride at even legal speeds. Please at least work out rake and trail numbers.
If your after art that will look cool outside the local starbucks follow the bellow link.

I feel like im enabling an alcoholic
Good point
Thanks mini man

·
Registered
5,959 Posts
Consider all the similarities between a cheap early 1980's 49 horse Virago 500 and a turn of the century 20 thousand dollar 130 horsepower sportbike.
You are basically asking what Porshe Carrera front end will fit onto a Nissan Versa, and the correct answer is 'none of them, not even close'.

... but with six times more powerful brakes up front, it sure would stop fast.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I have seen lots of pictures of Virago "cafe" conversions but never read a post chop, road test report. Have you ever run across anyone who's written about how the bike handles when their "visions" have come to fruition? I can't even remember seeing any "builder" do the math, as miniman suggests, to determine whether what they built is sound.

Get the motorcycle working properly as is, ride it. Do not strip it (or is it too late). Plan a functional motorcycle by doing the measureing and mathematics required. Research what will fit and where to source the best parts for the project. Meanwhile, ride the bike. When you have all the math done, know where you'll source the parts and their price and have ridden the bike enough to know it's dependable. Then sell it and find another bike. A 500 virago was meant to be that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts