Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did the intro thread
(got a little flak for not wanting to restore to stock - I only cried a little)

here it is after I brought it home
IMG_20161015_101508638.jpg

Not bad for $300 and case of bacon!

front master is seized, TERRIBLE tank cote job (chunks all over), How about that seat? , several custom wiring 'mods'
not bad really.

just stripped down it already looks better;
IMG_20161016_152124926.jpg

managed to pull the tank and get it running (but not well). That is my son taking for a first ride. please don't miss the duct taped plastic tank!;
IMG_20161020_141051550.jpg

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
already made my first mistake!
Trying to clean the tank out I used muratic acid. It worked great but... I left the petcock in place. The metal screen melted off and the plastic is not in good shape anymore.
not a big deal - I can use an in-line filter - but I would like to replace that plastic piece somehow to retain the reserve tank function.

Other than that, it is running is very rough below 5k rpm and it will not idle unless the choke is on. I assume the carbs are pretty messy. I assumed I would have to clean them anyway.

I don't have a solid long term plan - but leaning towards a full cafe build. However, #1 priority is get it running great and replace that front master. Check compression, ....

Since it sounds great once the throttle is opened up am pretty hopeful it is just dirty carbs/clogged jets.

I would like some advice on cleaning out the old tank cote and re-coating it. I have some POR-15 coming but how do I clean out the rust and flush the cleaner and not let it rust before I put the new coating in?

Looking forward to keeping this thread updated and all the fantastic advice I will be getting from this forum : )

-Lee

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
already made my first mistake!

Other than that, it is running is very rough below 5k rpm and it will not idle unless the choke is on. I assume the carbs are pretty messy. I assumed I would have to clean them anyway.
Cleaning the carbs should be mandatory for any bike that you can't ride home after purchasing it. Even then, its not a bad idea.

I don't have a solid long term plan - but leaning towards a full cafe build.
That bike doesn't want to be part in a build. It rolls its eyes when it hears people talk about "bike builds". Rebuild, is more what it wants. Get it running, refurbish the seat, upgrade some components like the brakes, bars, pegs and controls, maybe the pipe. Then enjoy the best bike in the block!

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Please tell me that fairing is going back on because it makes that thing look tough as nails! DO NOT toss that fairing aside, you'll kick yourself later when your tastes matures from cafe bike hacks to real performance bikes from the 80's.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Man,look, I get it, you want to build something. But you're not really building anything, it's already done.
What you are doing is going after some hip, cool, style thing that won't make the bike any better.
Okay, leave the fairing off if you want to but don't alter the bike frame just so you can put some trendy uncomfortable cafe seat on it.
The reason "cafe racers" got started is because back in the day all there was to choose from was standard motorcycles, for the most part.
Guys stripped them down and improved the performance so they could RACE them!!!!
The bike you have is better in stock form than most anything those old guys were riding.
Get it properly tuned, put some suspension upgrades and good tires on it, repaint it and everyone at bike nite will be checking it out.
You'll be cool and have alot of money left in your wallet.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Please tell me that fairing is going back on because it makes that thing look tough as nails! DO NOT toss that fairing aside, you'll kick yourself later when your tastes matures from cafe bike hacks to real performance bikes from the 80's.
So, I have to ask- is the CB750 in your profile before or after your taste matured?
:)

And that lower heavy price of fiberglass on the gpz was ugly when it came out, and ugly now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Man,look, I get it, you want to build something. But you're not really building anything, it's already done.
What you are doing is going after some hip, cool, style thing that won't make the bike any better.
Actually, just trying to get a bike that performs well and looks good, to me.

Get it properly tuned, put some suspension upgrades and good tires on it, repaint it and everyone at bike nite will be checking it out.
You'll be cool and have alot of money left in your wallet.
That is absolutely phase 1, then decide what else to do.
Except the part about bike nite, don't go to them, and not concerned if I am cool. Moved past that one 20 years ago.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That looks nice. not a big fan of that front - but it does not require hacking to 'fix'.

even when this came out, I was not a big fan. I liked the cleaner Honda much better.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
That looks nice. not a big fan of that front - but it does not require hacking to 'fix'.

even when this came out, I was not a big fan. I liked the cleaner Honda much better.
Then you should put this back together, sell it to someone who appreciates what it is and buy a basic Honda. Maybe one that someone else has already started to butcher so there isn't another vintage bike wasted.

"A full cafe build"...no such thing can be done with a 1984 GPz.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
So, I have to ask- is the CB750 in your profile before or after your taste matured?
:)

And that lower heavy price of fiberglass on the gpz was ugly when it came out, and ugly now.
That isn't a CB750. Its a 1982 CB900F, and it more closely represents what my taste is currently. And to be honest, its where lots of the hobby is going to in my opinion. I'm slowly starting to see bikes that I appreciate again on the big blogs, Pipeburn, BikeEXIF, etc. For years I just stopped checking them out because it was the same 'ol stuff. It still is a lot of the same but at least they are maturing to something different. Fewer and fewer CB750K's, fewer flat seat fat tire CB360's or XS650 brats and more 80's era race-inspired bikes.

you're crazy if you don't think that fairing was hawt! It might very well be heavy but it looks so much more interesting and fun to me with it on.
10238734826_1ee7195826_b.jpg

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Then you should put this back together, sell it to someone who appreciates what it is and buy a basic Honda. Maybe one that someone else has already started to butcher so there isn't another vintage bike wasted.

"A full cafe build"...no such thing can be done with a 1984 GPz.
But this is what I have and I got a great deal - besides it has a better motor than the mid 80's honda.

Sorry, you don't want me to 'hack it up', but you have a while to wait anyway. I am sure it will take me most of the winter to get everything mechanically sound. Until then, there is no 'hacking' or final decisions on what I will do with it.

(unless you are SO upset by the idea that you will pay me enough to just buy what I want!?)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That isn't a CB750. Its a 1982 CB900F, and it more closely represents what my taste is currently. And to be honest, its where lots of the hobby is going to in my opinion. I'm slowly starting to see bikes that I appreciate again on the big blogs, Pipeburn, BikeEXIF, etc. For years I just stopped checking them out because it was the same 'ol stuff. It still is a lot of the same but at least they are maturing to something different. Fewer and fewer CB750K's, fewer flat seat fat tire CB360's or XS650 brats and more 80's era race-inspired bikes.

you're crazy if you don't think that fairing was hawt! It might very well be heavy but it looks so much more interesting and fun to me with it on.
View attachment 34818
I was referring to this pic in your profile;
http://www.caferacer.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=32554&thumb=1&d=1476199748

I LOVED that vintage CB900f. I had the little '81 Honda Hawk 400 (twin) at the time - I lusted after the 900F so much!

My taste may change by the time I get the thing all fixed up and running right again - and true race bikes will always have a place in my heart!

Anyway, I am excited to working on a street bike again.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Oh yeah, that CB750 is the bike I've owned the longest! I still love the thing but I'm certainly not interested in having one like it again anytime soon. But it did get me interested in bikes again and holds a place. most modified and reliable bike I've ever had.
The difference between it and my CB900F is amazing. Changing directions on the 750 you have to push the handle bar in advance, and push it hard. The 900 on the other hand is already going the direction you wanted it to before you even had the thought to execute the maneuver. Probably due to the wide bars and roundie rubber parts.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
But this is what I have and I got a great deal - besides it has a better motor than the mid 80's honda.

Sorry, you don't want me to 'hack it up', but you have a while to wait anyway. I am sure it will take me most of the winter to get everything mechanically sound. Until then, there is no 'hacking' or final decisions on what I will do with it.

(unless you are SO upset by the idea that you will pay me enough to just buy what I want!?)
If I wasn't 2000 miles away you'd have received my profitable offer already. I believe that is a fairly rare bike and better restored and improved rather then turned into another "cafe racer" that will be worth nothing.

Pampadori's 900F is a great example of respecting the era of a motorcycle. Spencer would be pleased. spencer_19.jpg

·
Registered
807 Posts
the problem with the early 80's onward "new design" stuff is that the frames are moving toward the later frames, so the undertank area is not conducive to the "cafe" look (or tank swap) as most know it. plus most of the tanks, like yours and the cb ones pampadori has, have the downsweep and lead into side panel section at the rear. i like a lot of the tails of the era. there's a honda 650 slightly cruiser thing someone here has with 4 pipes that looks great as is.

maybe you could start "nouvo cafe", use 80's square headlights and slimmed down/lowered tail sections and seats. slot yourself in neatly between cafe and streetfighter.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts