Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
So, lots of , disagreement about the fairing. Ok, moving on

Advice on cleaning, de-rusting and sealing the tank?

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
EvapoRust. If that doesn't work, Ichiban might have a few suggestions.....

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Caswell makes the best sealer, easiest to work with because you don't need to surgically clean the inside of the tank, it prefers a rusty, rough surface and has "thixotropic"properties holding the sealer to the surface while it cures so it doesn't run down to the bottom and keeps a uniform thickness on the whole inside.
Gas Tank Sealer - Caswell Inc

Use a length of small sharp link chain to shake loose the rust on the inside, it's easier to retrieve when done than nut/bolts, or screws.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Use a length of small sharp link chain to shake loose the rust on the inside, it's easier to retrieve when done than nut/bolts, or screws.
i have found the nuts and bolts can be very easy to retreive from the floor once they've punched through the rusted metal and found their own way out.

i evaporusted a monster tank and it worked great for the first position, then progressively less as the active agents got used up. i really need two bottles of it at least for it.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
i have found the nuts and bolts can be very easy to retreive from the floor once they've punched through the rusted metal and found their own way out.

i evaporusted a monster tank and it worked great for the first position, then progressively less as the active agents got used up. i really need two bottles of it at least for it.
What size bottles are you buying? I buy in gallons.

·
Registered
790 Posts
it didn't do anywhere near as much in the last position as it did in the first. first was amazing, last was still fairly rusty. tank was very rusty.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
it didn't do anywhere near as much in the last position as it did in the first. first was amazing, last was still fairly rusty. tank was very rusty.
I think the surface rust was just easier to remove than the subsequent layers below, not that the solution was weaker.

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
I remember having a 20 litre container of some rust removal stuff in the shop that the boss got from some local chemical place. It had the same claim to be able to be re-used but like brad said, it was great for the first tank but not so good for the following ones.

No idea what the stuff was called, though....

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
How important to remove ALL the old Kareem from the tank? Can I put por-15 on top of the remnants?
If the old liner is peeling and you put POR over it it will continue to peel and waste the new liner. With the exception of Caswell's tank liner just about all the liners want a surgically clean surface in order to properly adhere to the substrate. If your old liner is crap what ever you put over it will be crap.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
If the old liner is peeling and you put POR over it it will continue to peel and waste the new liner. With the exception of Caswell's tank liner just about all the liners want a surgically clean surface in order to properly adhere to the substrate. If your old liner is crap what ever you put over it will be crap.
That is what i guess. Dang, that stuff is hard to remove. I used acetone and it got most of it out, but there are some spots clinging on pretty good.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
been a few weeks... and making slow progress, but progress either way.
finally managed to get all the old tank coating out. It took several acetone treatments and a 2 quick muratic acid flushes! right now I have some more evapo-rust in the tank to make sure I have all the rust out and to keep it from developing.

Question;
Do I have to flush out all the evapo-rust before I put por-15 in? or can I just let it dry and put the por-15 in?

been ordering a few things (clip ons, new master, clutch mounting, ...) I will post pics as soon as it looks any different.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts