Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently bought an 87 Rebel 250 for the wife to learn on. Top half of engine is froze up. Looking for piston heads, cylinders and cylinder heads ( hopefully with valves)

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
There is a vintage forum for honda twins. It's privately owned so I can't post the name here but good bunch of people, really know the twins, you may have some luck with parts there. They have a procedure for joining so read the new member thing.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
I know of a fella in Vegas that has a collection of old Rebels, do you live in Vegas,
it sounds to me like you really need a replacement engine, for the top end to be frozen up it was likely starved of oil pressure before it went squeak. They have a very weird oil filter setup that operates on centrifugal force plus a screen to stop chunks getting through, that's it for filter. If the top end is seized the bottom won't be healthy.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im in North Idaho. In researching I discovered that the Gen1 CMX250 only ran from 85-87 and then bolt patterns on the barrels changed in 88. So I have very limited pool of used parts. I am currently looking at going one of two ways, dropping a newer CMX250 motor in (parts will be easier to get ahold of) or taking a gamble on a ZongShen 250cc thumper.

The ZongShen is an interesting route, my knee jerk reaction is never buy Chinese motors, but I recently read that they are making motors for Norton and Aprilla, so thats something right? I can pick up a brand new motor for about $350 USD, might as well buy two for the spare parts. Run the thumper for a year or two until my wife is comfertable and ready for something a little bigger. Then either take the time to do a full and proper rebuild on the original motor and fully resto the Rebel, or turn it into a little bobber and then who cares what motor is in it.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Recently bought an 87 Rebel 250 for the wife to learn on. Top half of engine is froze up. Looking for piston heads, cylinders and cylinder heads ( hopefully with valves)
Honestly,
just go out and buy the wife a nice almost new or new old stock Honda Rebel 300 and she will ride it for the rest of her life, it will never let her down and everything on it will work good from the get go so she can concentrate on learning to ride. She will thank me for it ;)

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Honestly,
just go out and buy the wife a nice almost new or new old stock Honda Rebel 300 and she will ride it for the rest of her life, it will never let her down and everything on it will work good from the get go so she can concentrate on learning to ride. She will thank me for it ;)
But I have this really bad addiction for 80's Jap bikes lol. I've only owned 8 or 9

1 - 7 of 7 Posts