Cafe Racer Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
I skipped the second coming of the water buffalo but had quite a bit of time with the oil boilers. It looks like your photo does not show the whole story. The oil is above that area also. More troubling is that water on with the oil in the corner of the cylinder head and head. The cylinder head looks mighty wet above the head gasket. The valve covers on these are prone to leakage with sloppy mechanics being the issue. The oil boilers had pressured oil running through the valve cover so if they kept this you could see quite a bit of oil streaming out of the engine up there. One problematic zone for many people on these was cross threading and stripping the valve cover cap nuts or loosing the seals out of the cover when putting it back in place.

This is an interesting project. If it were mine and I ran into engine issues I would see if i could fit an 1100w in that frame I think they were all similar enough to get that done. I think you could even fit the 1100 oil cooled engine in that even say out of a bandit.

Everyone I knew blew the 600s up.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I got them out by slotting them with a cutoff wheel and turning them out with a flathead screwdriver. Guys I'm having a problem. Cylinder 4 is not firing. I have spark, fuel, compression, and the carbs are spotless. (Slides work flawlessly too) what is left? Could a grossly misadjusted valve be the cause?
Try a different spark plug. You can have a plug that sparks in open air fail under compression. the lead and cap could also be suspect. If the second lead on that coil is long enough swap it to see if you move the problem. With poor valve adjustment you would not have compression. One more thing to look at is that if your carb is fueling and you ran it without that cylinder firing you should get a wet plug when you pull it to verify the fuel charge is there.

·
Registered
36 Posts
You need a hanging fuel supply or low pressure pump to tune the carbs. I had a used Honda cvcc pump for the gsxr's. Syncing the things is key to getting any real idle or acceleration. Hanging idle to me with these things sounds like you may have muffed up the carb reassembly after cleaning them. I found this was quite a common mistake with many people in the past. Take the caps off and make sure the bellows and the o ring are in the proper location. I liked to sync the carbs closest for a strong takeoff rpm not at a flat idle. Probably best to go with flat idle if you just want to be done. I miss the rumble of these beasts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts