Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not a build but a light restoration.

Backstory:
I bought this bike in 2008, it was rough round the edges but served me dutifully with only servicing required in the two years of ownership. I put a few miles on her as she was my only transport.
She looked like this when shortly after got her:
FB_IMG_1600243120646.jpg

After two years of ownership I decided I wanted a new, more powerful bike so bought a 2006 ZX10R in 2010 (wish I kept her but that's another story). So I was selling my 'blade. My SiL had not long passed her bike test and after riding an XJ750 was after a bike, she wanted the blade but I was sceptical, I relented and she bought it, rode it a little and after a few years passed it onto my brother, it went out a few times, never got washed and was left either inside a wood shop or outside in the rain. So ended up in a state, the rear shock was shagged, the bodywork even scruffier, the wheels peeled badly and it was dirtier than than a meth whore.
10 years after selling her she went on the healing bench.
20200415_174938.jpg

The Restoration begins......

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The shock was shagged so went to shock factory (Shock Factory), which was set up by Mike Capon for a new one. They're not the cheapest but far from the most expensive and are really nice shocks, set to your weight and riding style from the factory with lots of adjustment if needed.
Cleaned all the gunk away from underneath and installed the new shock and swingarm, got the wheels back on.
20200424_203214.jpg
20200514_094812.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The front forks had not long had new seals and a change of oil, I just reset them to factory specs as a baseline

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Now to start it, or not as the case was. Took the bank of carbs off and cleaned all the jets a passageways, luckily that worked so didn't have to break the bank up. The pilot jet on 3 needed a bit of persuasion to clear the hole, luckily a long soak and 100psi did the trick.
20200412_124326.jpg
20200413_123517.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
There then followed a lot of cleaning, a bit of spraying (the rad had started to peel) and some carb balancing, all of which I didn't take pictures worthy of posting

Oh, nearly forgot, had to completely strip the rear caliper, it had seized on and the disc needed replacing too, all stripped, cleaned, new seals and put back on
20200418_180716.jpg
20200419_190104.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
God knows what's happening to the pictures, ignore the S1000R and headlight glue job.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Sh!t, wasn't it your brother that let it get into the condition it was?
He don't deserve it... ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts