Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought this clean one owner out of Orange county California for the foundation of my build, smelled like cat pee and was full of fur and bugs.

Stuck it my fiends 85 Audi 5000 Turbo Diesel Automatic Station wagon and drove my prize home.

And now the fun begins.

The plan is as follows:

It has the better Keihin CVK36 carbs
Jet kit
DIY air filter box with foam filter element
Stock header
Reverse cone shorty mufflers
Modify the stock rear sub frame
Triumph Thunderbird Tank
Modified Thunderbird seat pan
TT600 clip on handle bars
Stock Damper rod forks with Race tech Emulators
Sonic Springs 1.00 kg/mm fork springs ( I'm a big boy)
Stock front 17" Wheel with Michelin tire 120 70 17
Stock Trophy 1200 rear shock without the hydraulic preload or external rebound adjustment, I might do a Hagon shock eventually.
Fork Brace
Triumph 17" rear wheel from Trophy/Sprint/Daytona/ T300 bikes
Michelin tire 180 55 17
520 chain conversion
Honda 1983 CM450A/VFR750 520 chain rear sprocket from Vortex
Honda 520 front sprocket
DID VX2 520x114 chain
310mm Trophy front rotors
TT600 front calipers
5/8" front brake master cylinder
Trophy 900 oil cooler and frame
Kawasaki ZX10r coil on plug ignition coils, the stock PVL coils suck
Ignitech programmable ignition module
APSX D1 Wideband controller, I cant help myself, grew up on fuel injection and I need some kind of data to make sure my jetting choices are working, forgive me.

That about does it, there will always be more but this is a good start.

Screenshot_2016-05-27-21-57-40.png
My Inspiration bike

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm going to use used Triumph parts and other Ebay sourced cross referenced parts to keep the cost down and a programmable ignition module with a Wide Band Oxygen sensor for jetting feedback and data logging. Keeping the carbs, no USD forks or GPS speedo's.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
My Inspiration bike

You realize that....

1) your inspirtation bike has so much frame structure cut out of it that it's probably a pretty terrible riding motorcycle, and...
2) that if you wanted something that looks like that you could have just bought a 1998 Thunderbird sport and added clip-ons, an exhaust and a corbin gunfighter saddle:

1998-triumph-thunderbird-sport-1.jpg

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very true, I could have just bought a Thunderbird sport, but what's the fun in that.

The Tbird only has 80hp and the trident has 98 with better cams, higher compression, better rake and track, higher rev limit, tubeless wheels. The Trident was 600 bucks a Tbird Sport are 4k and up, that's a lot of go fast parts I can buy and track tires. In the end I wanted a project to tinker with, try new ideas such as the coil on plug ignition, wide band oxygen sensor and some other stuff with out chopping up a perfectly good old man bike.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Very true, I could have just bought a Thunderbird sport, but what's the fun in that.
Riding it and then upgrading to 98 hp specs in the winter.

The Tbird only has 80hp and the trident has 98 with better cams, higher compression, better rake and track, higher rev limit, tubeless wheels. The Trident was 600 bucks a Tbird Sport are 4k and up, that's a lot of go fast parts I can buy and track tires. In the end I wanted a project to tinker with, try new ideas such as the coil on plug ignition, wide band oxygen sensor and some other stuff with out chopping up a perfectly good old man bike.
ok, let's see what you can do.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Street bike with some track usage in mind. Im guessing the oxygen sensor is related to the pollution control question.
A wideband oxygen sensor is a great tool to use when changing fueling on any internal combustion engine. With the info it provides you can tailor your jet selection and the new controllers are so small I will be hiding it out of sight and use the on board blue tooth transmitter to view the data on my cell phone, when stopped of course.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Just found your other thread "I have always had fuel injected projects and this is my first carbureted project and I chose to do this to myself, I will have to remind myself later." Yep, das is for sure!
Sounds like you are hoping to apply modern tuning techniques to obsolete carburetor technology to me :/ Best luck with the endeavour.

What's the idea of the slightly lighter X-ring chain, are you wanting to lighten the final drive by a whole 2 pounds at the cost of longevity, do you need all new sprockets and chain and plan to save a few bucks, or are you trying to make clearance for a fatter tire?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I hear you on the tuning, its a challenge but I admit not typical. I will see how the info comes out. From what I have read on the CVK36 carb they are easier to tune that say and FCR flat slide. It will all be a learning experience for sure.

Im doing the 520 just because, thought I would try it out. The bike needs a chain and sprockets so I was curious and found some Honda parts that will work. The bike is for seasonal use, the diminished longevity of the chain is not a high priority, the challenge of making it work sounded cool. Although race bikes do change their chains very frequently the chain is able to hold up to the 100 or so HP I plan on producing plus no standing starts for me either. It was more or less and Why not.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
I can't fault that, personally I am thinking of replacing my sealed chain with a regular roller chain aka racing chain aka let the sucker fling grease and I'll just clean the wheel more often.

You do realize however; the difference between FI and CV is that with FI you turn the throttle and it's all happening right now, with CV you twist the throttle and eventually it happens ;)
CV carburetors suck. ... literally! To my recollection nobody Ever put vacuum carburetors on a motor for track performance considerations, they came about purely as a need to comply with emission standards of the day and that day is gone, imho you are going to be disappointed with the CV carburetor technology and a toolbox full of little brass jets that you have to swap out depending on the climate and elevation changes. ymmv.

btw Utah is a very :cool: place, love your Moab !

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Utah has some great riding when its not snowing.

From the carb issue, I know it is a new experience for me, we shall see. I keeping the CVK36 carbs only because they came with the bike and from what I have heard they are less problematic when riding in town, is it true the FCR are either on or off?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
The '98 should have come with CVK36s.

I have CVK36s on my '98 TBS and FCR39s on my '99 Legend. The difference is significant.

If you're buying a new set of carbs, pick the FCRs.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Keihin FCR is a completely different beast compared to Any Constant Velocity carburetor.

Are they(FCR) either on or off :/ nothing at all like a Lake injector. Does a CV carburetor respond to your throttle, nope, it responds to the vacuum that hopefully happens when you call for more throttle. CV carburetors can have as many as 5 fueling circuits, pretty sure FCR has 2, they can't help but be easier to tune in view of the modifications you have planned. CV carburetors came to find their way on motorcycles because manufacturers were compelled to make them run as lean as possible under all operating parameters and they do just that. Everything you are doing to your engine in the way of modifying the intake and exhaust is contrary to that criteria.

;) But don't let me stop you, you too can experience the joy of tuning a bank of lean mean CV motorcycle carburetors.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts