Cafe Racer Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts
where were they taking measurements of 125s that they were 105db? we talking vintage 125s? last time mine got checked it was way quieter than it needed to be. 96db i want to say. that was revving it in the pits though, did they do trackside checks?
GIMME DA HEAT

Z

where were they taking measurements of 125s that they were 105db? we talking vintage 125s? last time mine got checked it was way quieter than it needed to be. 96db i want to say. that was revving it in the pits though, did they do trackside checks?
GIMME DA HEAT

Z

we were taking readings (J. Marhan) at the scoring box on the straight. He had the meter sitting on the jersey barrier at a 90 degree angle to the wall. this was at the last races at Loudon last year. I forget exactly what the race was, and I do not know if it was modern or vintage as I am not well versed in the 125 stuff.

scott

quote:
At 90 degrees to the wall it would get some nasty bounce back and reverberations going back and forth between the outside wall and pit wall.
...and those aluminum stands.

I recall Jay taking readings on the inside of T2 once. That and T6 would be a great place to take a reading.

i dont like my pipe cuz its a 2-1 and drags. and its just ugly and i know there is a power difference in mid range with the ones im currently running. the reason i had those pipes built was because i originally thought theyd be fine for a while if i didnt squash them. the other problem is my belly pan im pretty sure does not fit around my 2-1. its not just an issue of the noise, but the fact that they dick around and decide mid winter, instead of having this crap taken care of before the end of last season. things like not having a rule book, new rules being puled out just a few months before the first race and stuff like that leaves me feeling like i shouldnt bother. its inconsiderate to the racers, and just not cool. and im not whining about the fact its been lowered. we as a club are the ones who seem to be getting the screw job. and thats what i dont like. it sounds more and more like its just us who have to comply with that low limit. which in my opinion sucks. i feel like and aggree with steve d' on this one. i made sure i complied right out of the box. it was 2 seasons before they started seriously busting balls about it. which sucked. yeah, they do sound checks at vir. but i dont know anyone who was puled from the track. and there are some seriously loud bikes out there. ive never seen them do any sound checks at summit. on the flip side, if there were 20 bikes out there, there might be bigger problems. im just tired of it. thats all. it makes me not want to make the drive up. and if it werent for all of you guys, i probably wouldnt.

jc

It's for sure they for some reason our limits are lower than others at Loudon. I heard the sound thing is like credits that are traded, certain amount of noise for a certain number of days. Basically NHIS uses up all their credits on the big money days and we end up with the short end of the stick.

And yes belly pans are a total pain in the ass on 2-1 system. You should see what I came up with. It's a box bent up out of 24ga steel, pretty light and bent up with a triangular recess that the 2-1 pipes go through...then has a deep section on the left side to hold the oil...it's only about 3/4" deep where the pipes go through...but I figure the oil will run into the deep section. It doesn't however hold three quarts of oil...fuck'em...the engine only holds 1.4 quarts and only about 1 quart will come out without disassembling the engine. The pan will hold about 2 quarts. If this thing ever blows bad enough to need a belly pan then some 24ga steel is not going to stop the parts from hitting the ground...at 12k rpm it will blow that pan right off. And the other places that can leak...like the clutch seal and counter sprocket seal...well if they go it's going to spray oil all over the chain and drive sprocket and the pan won't make a difference there either.

But I'm in a different situation than you...I run 2-1 because it's they type of system that works best on these engines. And it doesn't hurt the power for it to be quiet, and nothing drags, so I might as well use it at every track I go to. I'll probably be running 4 times at NHIS this year and three or four times at other tracks.
JohnnyB

that reminds me, any chance of seeing you at summit this year??? aaron says he misses you when youre not there. i cant wait to see ropey at nhis on his 350. hes going to spank the gp class on that thing.

jc

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.