Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like this video, you can guess where it's going pretty easily and even though it's 20 minutes long I still enjoyed it :)

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
why are almost all motorcycle short films about crashing?

There was one a while back where the dude gets up from a wreck with a minor head injury and starts calling home to his wife who isn't answering. He gets more and more frustrated, meanwhile she was actually on the back of the bike and was lying an a field badly hurt. I felt sooooooo bad watching that.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He didn't crash.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I think anyone who does a lot of their own mechanical work can relate to this video pretty well...

I actually expected it to be about a crash after the first minute or so; I'm glad it wasn't. The one Geeto's talking about just sounds damn depressing.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I think I am going to just put this out there.....

I really truly believe that in order for someone to make a movie about you, you need to do something interesting and notable first. Call me crazy but after this string of "working class hero" style short films about douches who build mediocre style bikes (see "Cafe cowboy", etc) I don't really want to hear your philosophy about life and wrenching as some metaphysical exestential whatever.....I want to hear at 200mph all you could think about was not pissing yourself because the salt was loose that day, or what a real struggle it was figuring out how to do your own engine from scratch, or something more than I bang metal seat pans for shitty japanese bikes and dress all 1967 and drive an old ford pickup.

I will admit, I watched 45 seconds of the above posted move. I saw a helmet rolling around and said, not more of this shit. I have no idea who the dude talking is or why I should care. If he does something

·
Registered
586 Posts
I like it. Not much extra fluff. About the sense of riding. It's joys and frustrations. Not all buddy buddy and shit. Yeah, dude was way hipper than I. Sort of Thin Red Line meets On Any Sunday meets hipster.
Maybe a little Tarkovsky in there. Was waiting for the buxom, red headed moto-fairies to show up, sprinkle some faerie dust and send hipster dude on his way. Or possibly the bike was gonna start through sheer will-power alone.

Feelin' all artsy-fartsy today,
NE

·
Registered
101 Posts
@nic-frustration with something inanimate and mechanical when it doesn't work right after working on it for awhile, and then the feeling of success and happiness when it all decides to work right, which makes all the frustration worth it. I guess this mostly relates to cars I've built rather than motorcycles, where something always seems to go wrong and it can seem like the project or machine is actively working against you. It becomes a challenge of sorts, and it is all very gratifying after, say, rebuilding carbs and kicking it over the first time and feeling the fruits of your labor. Or at least that's how I feel, haha.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Ha. It's happened to me a few times now -I'll get all geared up and go to kick my bike over and...nothing. I've learned to start the bike, THEN get all my gear on.

Director gets 1000 points for using the Jesus and Mary Chain for the soundtrack.

Um Geeto, there's no one talking in this video. or crashing, or trying to persuade you that their outlook on life is more zen than yours. It's just a little flick about a guy riding his old Triumph around in the English countryside and then flailing around like a bitch when he can't get it started.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:Originally posted by cafe350

Um Geeto, there's no one talking in this video. or crashing, or trying to persuade you that their outlook on life is more zen than yours.

It's just a little flick about a guy......flailing around like a bitch when he can't get it (His triumph) started.
I can see that on nearly any street corner in williamsburg, why do I need to see it on my computer too.

Seriosuly though....I said I didn't watch it. I guess I am burned out on all the moto-culture short video that is floating out there on the web.

Anywhere Jesus and Mary chain is used in a vid gets points. So...um...I guess I have to watch this shit now.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
That was great. You can go from hating the thing to loving it in one second, or vice-versa.

I'm guessing he probably didn't need to choke it. I know very well the experience of being in full gear and the bike not starting, though: getting hot and tired and pissed off and screaming obscenities at the machine. I also know what it's like being stranded and pushing the machine home. The machine does not notice or care about your frustration. It is a machine. It is unaffected by your emotion. It IS, however, affected by having wet spark plugs.

I seem to remember Pirsig describing his anti-mechanic, BMW-riding friend having an almost identical experience on a hot day. Pirsig pulled the plugs and let them dry out while he had another beer, I think. It really does pay to know how the machine works.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
So was anyone else asking themselves why he didn't try to bump start it? "Gee the kick starter isn't working. Let me keep kicking"......

·
Registered
101 Posts
If kicking it didn't work, would bump starting make much difference? sorry, not trying to let my noob show, but seems like either way the engine is tuning over, so bump starting wouldn't necessarily help.

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
quote:Originally posted by gearheadE30

If kicking it didn't work, would bump starting make much difference? sorry, not trying to let my noob show, but seems like either way the engine is tuning over, so bump starting wouldn't necessarily help.
You can get more of a continuous turn-over with push starting than using the kicker. If the bike is flooded, this will help clear it quicker.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts