Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Johnny, enough of a lip for the bearing on the wheel?

I had no problem with a single cut using the brand new 15mm drill from MM Carr.

·
Registered
504 Posts
quote:
Johnny, enough of a lip for the bearing on the wheel?

I had no problem with a single cut using the brand new 15mm drill from MM Carr.

Evil,
I never use aluminum for axle spacers. The aluminum crushes too easy. Also for the rear wheel, the end that bears on the SA should be very large diameter as it only contacts a small bit on each side of the slot. On Yamahas I usually braze thick washers on each side of the chain pullers.

FC

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JB said you'd say that. He says to make em a smidge larger and let em crush. This is for a front axle.
s

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Hehe...Frank doesn't disappoint!

Yeah Scott, that looks like something I'd use. With 6061 I've never had the spacer crush enough to ever be an issue with clearance to bearing moving parts. Big end on the SA side should be at least as large as the OEM spacer.

Frank is a tremendously strong beast of a man that tightens his axles to like 300 foot pounds. If you have any doubts about the spacers just keep an eye on them. I've been using them for about six years now and I've never had to alter one due to crushing....but then I torque them to factory specs.

If you have any problems with them I'll wax Frank's entire RV!
JohnnyB

·
Registered
504 Posts
quote:
Actually I'll just force Mary to do it....in a thong.
JohnnyB
Mary can wax anything I own! But I'll lend her my bathrobe so you guys won't be able to gawk at her.

JB, you don't tighten your axles cause you're a wimp!!
Evil, the front axle isn't as important but look at the rear spacers and you'll see how they are marked by the SA slots.

FC

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i aint trying to save weight here. one of my dumps is heavier than your head

1 - 9 of 9 Posts