Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so my New Year's resolution is to get an old dirtbike (who says resolutions have to always be so damn negative anyway?)

I just want an old moto-x'er like I used to dream about when I was 10. Like a CR, RM, YZ or KX, say '76 through '80. I know they're pushing 30 years old, spendy for what you get compared to new bikes, probably have been used, abused & neglected and will give me a whole mess of fits, but I don't care. I want a cackling, peaky bitch that'll piss off wildlife for miles around.

My dream is a '79 red-engined CR125.

Honda go sideways!

http://groups.google.com/group/co-ohvinmoto

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
80's bikes seem new to me, but when I actually realized, yeah, those are nearly 30 years old I feel ready for retirement. When I was a kid the best dirt bikes were the Spanish bikes and Huskies. The first time I went to Unadilla Valley for the motocross races there wasn't more than a handful of Japanse bikes there, mostly tacos, ossas, Maicos and huskies. I do remember a 4 stroke thumper that sounded really neat.

Good luck in fulfilling your dream--mid O in july will be like your candyland.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I had a red engined cr125 (my very first bike)....fun fun fun. Was stolen out of a buddy's garage in 1996 or so. we bought that neglected warrior for $800 in 1991 or 92.

Having ridden cr125s and 250s and kx125s and 250s I have to give the nod to kawasaki. The CRs are good all rounders but the kx is a real rocket ship and makes you feel like you are in the moto-x ring even in your own backyard. Every kawasaki 2 stroke has that air of "come on lets get the fuck going already...what are you waiting for?" but the kx bikes have it in spades.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Fine idea. My oil salesman at the store has recently got into vintage motocross. It sounds like a blast. I'm watching an old YZ250 right now. If nothing else I'd use it as a buddy-bike.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts