·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
OK OK... I HAVE TO USE A BAD WORD!!

That Muther fucker does some FINE ass work. Some of the nicest work I've ever seen on vintage bikes. Just right mix of old and new. Some beautiful machines he's got going together.
JohnnyB

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
i'm with johnny b.....

that dudes parts are the dogs bollocks.

kinda wish i had a 400/4 and some dough.

nice find bull!

tex

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Bull, you are way to critical of the use of the term "cafe racer". Glad you aren't into boats where they call cigarette style racing boats for private use "cafe racers" as well. Remember the original term ofr a cafe racer was a vehicle that looked like a racer but was atually no good for anything other than looking racy parked out in front of the cafe.

The modern interpretation of this original term is ricer when used to describe something like a honda civic with an aluminum wing, body kit, carbon hood and deck lid, and a stock 4 cylinder. It is a good thing that the term cafe racer evolved.

That ttr400 site is neat-o.

edit: Has anybod thought about using modern racing bicycle parts on their cafe racers? Some of the stuff out there is super light and super trick like carbon fiber 7/8" handlebars, lightweight cable actuated controls (how cool would a shimano cable push button shifter be if it actually shifted the bike?)

On a more vintage note I found an old set of bicycle handelbars in my shed that are 7/8 and the old curl around 10 speed style and think they would look awsome on a cafe bike.

Edited by - Geeto67 on Dec 09 2005 2:13:57 PM

·
Registered
55 Posts
No you are talking! Bicycles I know, bicycles I love. They were my first love. I picked the bastard bicycling genre of Track bikes (or fixed gear).

I find that it is identical to the people who love cafe racers. In a world were everyone wants a road frame that is thousands of dollars, there is this sub genre of riding were the importance is on functionality and simplicity. we make them sleek and fast. we take off the gears and makes it direct drive. We ditch the spandex and ditch most cycling styles. We ride fast in the middle of the street racing cars downtown and organize night rides that end in chaos. anyway... this reminds me of cafe racers. Motorcylces are just as comon place. Except we have (not me or you... normal people) this gross love with load ugly harley crusiers that are soaked in chorme and excess. 40 somethings in all leather garb just to go down the street. Tassles... really? tassles.. i mean those arent tuff... they dont make the bike faster, why have them? (side note here...most of these bikers comment on homosexulas.. yet i have never seen a homosexual wearing chaps with fringe, a matching jacket with fringe, a leather bandana and matching tassles on a bike) so when you get a group of individuals that take a simple bike and take off all the crap, make it faster and just do their own thing... thats the same. its that racer spirit. anyways, im not making since because rum is good.

but i say... throw those deep drop track bars on your cafe racer!

and the name cafe racer.. yeah i dont really care. But if you dropped a 302 in that MGB (ala carol shelby) that would for sure embrace the cafe racer spirit (of today, not the all style no substance days). IF that bicycle frame gets built correctly (first off we want to change those drop outs and cut those brazeons, then put some 700's on there) then it could be a cafe racer...

well guys.. thanks for reading and remember
horse is a horse, of course, of course,
And no one can talk to a horse of course
That is, of course, unless the horse is the famous Mr. Ed.

Go right to the source and ask the horse
He'll give you the answer that you'll endorse.
He's always on a steady course.
Talk to Mr. Ed.

david
nonsense is me

Edited by - ascentofstan2 on Dec 09 2005 3:04:13 PM

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I'm just saying that "cafe racer" used to be a term for posers and it evolved into something better.

I've seen that cb750 before and it is pretty trick, not a big fan of his decision to keep the pegs in the stock location but myabe he is short and it is comfortable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts