Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
I love those old Hodakas but do you really think a 40 year old dirt bike is a wise choice here?
i'm looking for a second project now that mine is coming to a close.

just cause I want it doesn't mean i'm gonna get it.

I'll probably end up in another cb. or a triumph.

whatever i can find in my area.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
And yeah Hodaka is not a smart choice for the girl who started the thread - a rare(ish) 2-smoke dirt bike is not ideal. I just think they are cool and show how silly over priced some of the CBs are.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
+1 on the helmet. Seeing my friends face sans teeth after they hit the ground first had me rushing to buy my full face the next day. Joke is his old teeth were shit house and his new ones are perfect. Not a joke how obsessed I am with my helmet now.

Hodaka's were badass, as novel dirtbikes. I'd buy anything called the 'Combat Wombat.'

But yet again, agreeing with Kero. Not great for a first bike on the roads of LA.

I'll stick to my guns on this. For the same money, and yeah it's in the middle of the country, but for the money, I'd pick up this.

classic 74 suzuki gt250

A 250 stroker would be much less of a headache then a 175 honda with it's valves bouncing all over the place. Not to mention a shitload faster. I also have no qualms about riding a pink motorcycle.

·
Registered
477 Posts
After reading all your other info, the SYM seems to have a good warranty, the shop has a good rep, the financing looks good and most of all it will do for the sort of riding that YOU want it to do with it. Also, it's new and it looks like it's the right size for you. I say go for it!

I wish I lived in Ca...going to F---ing snow here again tonight...sigh....

·
Registered
830 Posts
A Motorcycle Safety Foundation Basic Rider Course should be on your list of initial expenses along with the purchase price of the SYM and a good helmet, gloves, jacket and boots. The life you will save will be your own.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
vespa GTS 250 (or 300). Water cooled, easy to operate, lots of aftermarket, and they will do 90 two up. If you can't find a used one for $2K, you aren't looking.

·
Registered
681 Posts
If you get the Sym, change the oil immediately, unless they can document and demonstrate it's been changed to a good oil already. The chinese fish squeezings if present will be a light gold color with an odd odor for oil. Toss it, put in a nice non-synthetic, like say Castrol GTX and use that to break in with. After 4 or 5 full heat cycles, change again.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Amazing how helpful everybody is when a girl asks for help.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Well it helps that she didn't say she is new to motorcycles and wants to build a turbo goldwing cafe racer from the frame up and has no wrenches.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What about a bike from Cleveland Cycle Werks? "Tha Misfit" is budget-friendly and carries a 250cc engine, not too powerful by any means (i think i saw the top speed is mid-70s stock). I know I'm new to this game, but I've seen solid reviews on the bike, and it seems to be in your ballpark for wants/needs

·
Registered
681 Posts
What about a bike from Cleveland Cycle Werks? "Tha Misfit" is budget-friendly and carries a 250cc engine, not too powerful by any means (i think i saw the top speed is mid-70s stock). I know I'm new to this game, but I've seen solid reviews on the bike, and it seems to be in your ballpark for wants/needs
The CCW 250 and the Sym Wolf 150 are actually about the same power wise. For the money I'd go with the Sym just because it sports the more modern OHC motor compared to the CCW's pushrod mill. Especially when you add in the fact that CCW is using a OHC intended tach (12k RPM redline) on a motor that shouldn't be pushed past 9k. If CCW ever decides to put the same cost, same mounts, same electrical connections, aka a complete drop in OHC 250 in there then I'll say it's the better mount.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Now that everybody with reading comprehension issues has given you all the info about bikes that won't work for you for all the reasons you listed, I still stand by the idea of getting the SYM if that is what you want. Comparing working on a new Chinese bike with a decent dealer down the road to diagnosing why the 35 year old DT175 is fouling plugs, hard to start smoking excessively and blowing transmission oil out the vent, is silly to say the least.
There has been plenty of good advice on what to do with the SYM as far as changing oil and checking over nuts and bolts. That will be a great introduction to working on your own bike. The idea of getting a crappy bike like a CB400 and then modifying it with crappy aftermarket parts to try and make it something it will never be borders on stupid.

Get the SYM or if you have the money or financing look fo a leftover Suzuki TU250.

Ken

21 - 40 of 80 Posts