Cafe Racer Forum banner

41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
A chick. Riding around town, avoiding highways. Stated she PREFERRED no clutch...

To me that screams Honda cub (c70 or any variant). 4stroke, 3speeds with no clutch, and if they're running well- hit 55+ EASY with this type of rider.
1965 Honda CUB 49cc (Restored)

I wish this was in FL...
Vintage Honda Cub 50 Scooter (c. 1965)

That or any top tank moped like a Puch Magnum or any other brand... (Honda hobbits arent top tank mopeds, but they're super easy to mod, if you want a project)
Mopedery+037+(Medium).jpg

I know they're fugly. but these things are bulletproof...
Rare HONDA MB5 motorcycle, 6.7 HP, 49cc

If not, what kenessex said... or a Yamaha tw200 even! if you dig the look.

·
Registered
203 Posts
A chick. Riding around town, avoiding highways. Stated she PREFERRED no clutch...

To me that screams Honda cub (c70 or any variant). 4stroke, 3speeds with no clutch, and if they're running well- hit 55+ EASY with this type of rider.
1965 Honda CUB 49cc (Restored)

I wish this was in FL...
Vintage Honda Cub 50 Scooter (c. 1965)

That or any top tank moped like a Puch Magnum or any other brand... (Honda hobbits arent top tank mopeds, but they're super easy to mod, if you want a project)
View attachment 1920

I know they're fugly. but these things are bulletproof...
Rare HONDA MB5 motorcycle, 6.7 HP, 49cc

If not, what kenessex said... or a Yamaha tw200 even! if you dig the look.
If she had said "rode around campus" I'd agree, and I understand that she wants to avoid freeways, any newbie would. But she won't stay a newbie forever (which also deals with the clutch issue) and to get around in most cities you need to be able to hop on the slab some times. 55 mph vehicles are freeway chum (you know the stuff that attracts sharks). I'm thinkin' of the choices put here, the PC Honda and the Vespa are at the front of the pack with the Vespa (at sub 2 grand and more availability) crossing the finish line first.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
New Vespa. Highway safe, excellent gas mileage, looks distinctive, and an automatic. Seems to check all boxes except the need to look like some ***** 1950's ton up boy (or girl).

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
New Vespa. Highway safe, excellent gas mileage, looks distinctive, and an automatic. Seems to check all boxes except the need to look like some ***** 1950's ton up boy (or girl).
Reading comprehension 101, where she clearly stated she is not interested in a Vespa. Next you'll suggest she should get a Guzzi T1000 convert, cause you a re a Guzzi lover and a Vespa lover.

Just let the girl get the bike she really wants. It will be just as high of quality as some 30 year old rattle trap "cafe racer" and won't be full of Italian electrics or inconsistent Italian assembly.

Your Pal,
Ken

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
new vespa isn't very distinctive - I believe they are quite well made though. For sure better than SYM.

But I think the "style" was the imperative factor...

·
Registered
211 Posts
Ill give you some advice stay away from anything china or taiwan makes.

I have relatives that were suppliers to dealers of both atvs and motorcycles made by two different chinese companies, constant problems with them, long waits by dealers for parts.

China, tiawan makes there scooters and motorcycles there nothing but junk.

Suzuki makes a 2013, 250 single " standard " motorcycle called the TU250X. zero percent financing for five yrs and it won't be junk. Just go to suzuki web site look in there " standard " section. If you have ridden dirt bikes you can ride this. ITs the same standard " style " as the sym your looking at.

I bought a 2011 DR650 suzuki enduro it now has 8,700 miles on it never been back to the dealer for anything.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Reading comprehension 101, where she clearly stated she is not interested in a Vespa. Next you'll suggest she should get a Guzzi T1000 convert, cause you a re a Guzzi lover and a Vespa lover.

Just let the girl get the bike she really wants. It will be just as high of quality as some 30 year old rattle trap "cafe racer" and won't be full of Italian electrics or inconsistent Italian assembly.

Your Pal,
Ken
no ken I read it. even though she stated she didn't want a vespa ALL of her criteria describe a vespa (at least the important ones). Sometimes you have to smack people in the face with repetition before they realize the smart choice and the thing they don't want are really the same thing where as the stupid choice is the thing they are gravatating towards.

And ken - reading comprehension 101, I already mentioned the convert and suggested the OP would probably be crushed under its weight.

#1 reason I wouldn't buy a sym or a CCC or any of this new crop of retro 250s: Who is going to fix it? While I am sure nearly any competient mechanic is able to fix it my bigger concern is where do you get the parts and how long do you have to wait for them. Nevermind that every shop I know that sells these steamy piles are shops with dubious reputations for fixing stuff, if you have to wait 3 months for a gasket kit then you are better off buying a ducati - only because at least the ducati will have some resale value. I don't see any "real" motorcycle people buying these things, only people who think all new things are the same and just because it is new it is well built or reliable - basically people intimidated by the prospect of having to work on their own bikes.

Actually the best in the bunch to fit the OP's sense of style, that nobody mentioned, is the Royal Enfield EFI bullet. But that costs twice as much as any of the aforementioned steamy piles of bike and has only a slightly better rep for parts and service. It does however have a way better rep for reliability - the damn thing is pretty bulletproof (pun intended), there is a pretty strong owners group, and I do see real motorcycle people buying these.

·
Official Site Vendor
4,219 Posts
she realised im a big well hung Brit and got scared, shes only used to teeny weener yanks .

·
Registered
13 Posts
You may consider the Suzuki TU250x. It looks like the Sym, but is a 250, and I think it costs about the same. They have been making them for a few years now, so look for a good used one. I also just read a write-up on the Sym in the July/August Motorcycle Classics Rag. They seemed to like it, but personally, I would pick the Suzuki.

41 - 60 of 80 Posts