Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at guages and have come across a GPS unit which combines Speedo and tach into the one guage. It seems this unit gets rebranded by a few different companies and sells for between $350 and $450.

At least one seller is honest about a critical piece of information for something that is exposed to the elements....

IMG_20171019_131521-1071x781.jpg

Looks like this.

IMG_20171019_160828.jpg

For fairweather riders only!

Does anyone have this unit and can attest to its water absorbent qualities?

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Only 8 thousand rpm on the counter. That was definitely originally intended for a 4 wheeled application.
Or v twin....

Speedhut make the original ones - and they say the same thing saying they aren't waterproof.

I've never used one but imagine they would probably be as waterproof as an Acewell (ie: not 100% but pretty good).

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Are any of the aftermarket electronic gauges waterproof? I have a trailtech Vapor on one bike and it has been through a few storms and seems to be OK. Mind you last time I rode it, it recorded a maximum speed of 262 MPH at 10,880 revs and neither of those numbers is remotely possible.

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
Can you get a rev counter on an iphone?
If your bike is EFI with an OBD II port you can. I know they have setups for cars that plug in and give you all sorts of diagnostics on OBDII setups. My BMW doesn't have an oil pressure or temp gauge but they are in the system, I used a friend's app and cable and was able to see everything the car has a sensor for, including a tach.

To be honest, you don't need "waterproof". Waterproof is for taking the thing under water, and unless you are driving into a lake, it isn't an issue. Maybe you want "water resistant" or "weather resistant" which means the thing is closed to the elements but isn't going to keep water out if you ride into the lake.

I don't think stock gauges are "waterproof", but they are, mostly, weather resistant.

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
Didnt i read that speedhut will "water-resistent" your gauge for a small fee?

Edit-
Speedhut
Interesting that the link says they are water resistant but not to leave it out in heavy rain or they may not warranty it. But pay the fee for waterproofing and never think about it again.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Our back roads are crap I'd use a ribbed one for some rough riding!

Not many guages would be entirely waterproof but it's the fog I'm thinking will be the main issue with this guage and that would be very annoying, especially with the hefty price tag. No OEM guage I've had has fogged up or had water issues.

I like the look of the acewells and will probably go that although I read that the digital screens can be hard to see particularly with polarised sunnies which I happen to wear.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Our back roads are crap I'd use a ribbed one for some rough riding!

Not many guages would be entirely waterproof but it's the fog I'm thinking will be the main issue with this guage and that would be very annoying, especially with the hefty price tag. No OEM guage I've had has fogged up or had water issues.

I like the look of the acewells and will probably go that although I read that the digital screens can be hard to see particularly with polarised sunnies which I happen to wear.
SPA design makes a Tach and digital speedo. But not GPS.

I use a Stack tach. Neither one of those will fog...
A cheap GPS or smart phone app could be used with that.

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
No OEM guage I've had has fogged up or had water issues.
Really? like every OEM gauge I have ever had has had fogging. Esp if I am moving the bike from a cold garage to warm outside. My 2006 ducati does it and there are more electronics and computers in that sucker's gauges than we used to go to the moon.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Really? like every OEM gauge I have ever had has had fogging. Esp if I am moving the bike from a cold garage to warm outside. My 2006 ducati does it and there are more electronics and computers in that sucker's gauges than we used to go to the moon.
Yeah, if ever I have had some minor moisture on glass it would be so small to not really notice.
That's comforting to know given a lot of reviews may come from climates where this can be an issue.

What you describe sounds like a cold gauge and still cold air outside you take the bike out of the garage and then the sun is heating the back of the gauge face and the air in between it and the glass. It's still just as cold outside and the glass is still cold, it may just feel warm to you as the sun is out beating down on you, the glass is still cold as it does not absorb much heat yet the air inside the gauge is heating up and the condensation forms. Ever sun baked in the snow fields when there is no wind? I haven't but I'd like to.

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
If you order from Speedhut, they will build the gauge and silicone the the unit to make it more water "resistant". Their gauges are originally intended for automobiles where there is no concern for water getting into the dash. Speed hut will seal the bezel for no charge.
Geeto, I think if you look you will not find a dive watch that is waterproof, the clearly say "water resistant to ..X meters". While many watches claim to be waterproof, the fine details change the wording to "resistant". First one I just checked said "Waterproof 30m", in the details it says "water resistant".

1 - 17 of 17 Posts