Cafe Racer Forum banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
nice caliper. they'd look good on it. loaner?

i was curious as to how it would work with the 13. i know the sensation of a too big master, but hadn't had one too small before. with the organic pads i need more pressure that with the sintered too, and thought it might work ok. but it's just too much travel. feels like the late model stuff with abs - lever comes back a long way without a lot of feel, but on the road the sintered pads make it stop almost in spite of how it feels. so, curiousity answered, back to making it work.

maybe i should try the 15. i took it off the 851, which as the black 4 piston calipers where the pistons are all the same size. 32mm maybe? the 16 was an improvement on that, but it sintered pads and the 320mm snowflake discs and stopped pretty well. with the organic pads it's more about the squeeze, which i kind of dislike in brakes, but i'll get used to it.

guess i'd better find the 15. it's in a tub somewhere.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
couldn't find the 15. ordered a 16, if for no other reason than that about 10 minutes after it's fitted the 15 will just jump out in front of me.

still have to work out what to do with the dash speed sensor. i don't really want to drill into the disc carriers, as paso floating discs are pretty rare, and there's so little clearance between the discs and forks due to the wide wheel centres. time to suck it up and make a decision i guess.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
the 16 arrived, so i popped it on and gave it a reverse bleed and it was good to go. it really surprised me that the 13 didn't give a pressure rise and go hard at some point, it just came into the bars with pretty consistant pressure. the 16 is 50% larger, and it builds pressure quickly. hopefully it has some feel.

of course, the new one is the later style brembo that has a larger, squarer res than the old original coffin style, so the chinese billet caps i bought a few weeks ago don't work on it. and the pivot pin is now silver since they don't cad plate anything anymore. but at least it works. ordered a new clutch slave to match this afternoon.

painted inside the end of the new muffler black too, just to take the edge of it. still loving the new muffler.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
i cut and pasted the below from my blog - too lazy to type it out again. forgive the tone as required.

i was worried about the 16" wheels and how it'd steer. it did turn pretty crap before anyway, i'd not really been comfortable on it since i got it back on the road a couple of years ago now. when i put it all together with the new wheels it was a bit weird mid corner. i was told that pasos liked 38psi at both ends, and i had run them at that for the first few rides. yesterday afternoon i dropped the front to 34, and it made a difference that really surprised me for only 4 psi change. now it's almost normal, and frankly, better than it had steered recently with the 17's. i was relieved. i've ridden a few paso and 750 sport with these tyres, and they've been fine, although the last one exhibited the "where's the front end" feel that i was getting with 38psi in the front. although nowhere near as bad as the only 851 tricolore strada i've ever ridden with the original two piece marvics. i've ridden a few kits with the 17" marvic mag wheels, and they're much like my 89. i rode an original strada a couple of years ago with the 16's and these tyres and it was weird. really, really weird. like there must be something wrong with this weird.

anyway, into the blog post.

At the start of the week I had a "to do" list for Minnie to get her ready for the Festival Of Italian Motorcycles today.

171105  (13)s.jpg

"Front brake work?" at the top literally meant "does the front brake work? With the second front disc adding a corresponding caliper, the demand for front brake fluid displacement increased by 100%. The original single disc front master cylinder is 13mm, the original dual disc front master is either 15 or 16mm, depending on model. My 851 had a 15mm master originally, which I replaced with a 16mm (from my Sport 1100i after I crashed it I think). I was curious to know how it would work with the 13mm, as I'd never tried it before. My feeling was it would just have a lot of travel and probably some good feel. But the reality was you could pull the lever back into the bars with little discernable increase in pressure. Like it had air in it - I spent ages bleeding it thinking I'd screwed that up somehow. Whereas on the road it gave a lot of travel before it finally started to stop, without a lot of feel as to when it was going to stop. So, curiosity answered, larger front master needed. That was Monday's decision.

The 15mm master is 31% bigger, the 16mm 50% bigger. I went looking for my 15, but couldn't find it. I figured the best way to find it was to buy and fit a new 16mm master (it worked). Because the look for this bike is the "coffin" style masters, I had to buy a new one as the Sport 1100i 16mm now on the 851 is a remote reservoir style. The new one turned out to be the new style with the larger fluid reservoir, meaning the lovely Chinese billet reservoir caps I'd bought the week before didn't fit anymore. Great. And the pivot pin, which is cad pacified (gold zinc) plated on the originals, is now silver and I've spent a heap getting all the fasteners replated so I had to refit the "not so shiny like the rest of the fasteners" original. Hmmmmmm. Did have a nice new lever too.

But, it worked. Funny how a 100% increase in fluid demand is happily dealt with by a 50% increase in delivery. The very cool floating cast iron discs don't like sintered pads, so I went through my stash of old single pin original pads and found a couple of pairs that were bead blasted and fitted. Stops better than it used to with the single disc, but with the organic style pads you just don't get that initial bite that I do enjoy so much. Maybe some new Ferodo Platinums will help. More money.

So that was #1 ticked off the list.

The speed sensor for the Acewell was the next issue. With the caliper adapters there wasn't anywhere to fit a little bracket like I had previously. I liked the little bracket, as it is a serviceable solution (as in you can remove and refit). My mounting as below is not - double sided taping it to the bottom of the fork leg. The sort of thing that customers do that annoys me. I drilled and tapped a thread into the disc carrier and fitted the little magnet and away we went. Easy. Compared to the 120/70-17 circumference of 1860mm, the 130/60-16 measured at 1735mm. But after riding it around with the iPhone zip tied to the handlebar clamp and the speedo app running, I increased the setting to 1760mm (1.5%) to bring the speedo in on the underside of accurate. #2.

171112 (2)s.JPG

The tacho drive is due to this being an SS engine, which has a cable drive tacho. I do have a Monster blanking plug somewhere (at least one in an engine), but laziness had kept me from moving it any closer to the engine. I found a little blue rubber cap that fitted just fine, and it has resisted bailing for quite some time now. But, I figured I'd make it a little nicer and I like machining stuff, so turned up a little cap and screwed it on with an old cable collar (I always cut them off old cables just in case).

The rocker covers were looking a bit crappy, but I didn't have any paint close to hand that I thought might be a good fit. Well, I have some gold that is possibly a good match for the Paso rockers covers that I always liked, but didn't think it'd match the rest of the bike. I didn't want anything bright, but didn't have any shades of real grey so I gave them a coat of cold gal. With the rocker covers bead blasted and heated with the heat gun the cold gal dried at is hit them, the finish is rather matt and coarse and lighter than I expected, but it's there and that gets it ticked off the list.

171112 (7)s.jpg

This engine has the D on the timing belt covers and the DUCATI on the alternator and clutch covers, so I scraped, rubbed and polished the paint off. I thought it was a nice little detail.

171108 (5)s.jpg

I needed a new clutch lever and reservoir cap (to match the new original on the brake master) and the master body had a fair bit of scraping along the road damage near the pivot. I figured the best solution was a complete new master. Easy.

I was looking for something to fashion a brake line bracket from to hold the front brake hose at the lower triple. I usually find old horn mounts are good for this sort of stuff, and I stumbled across a nice gold zinc one. Just lovely. A quick bend and on. Another one down.

171112 (5)s.jpg

The last point on the list - frame bolt caps - had me loking for the rubber caps that go into the tubes for the engine/frame bolts, and it took me to a tub that I thought (possibly correctly) contained mostly parts of the disassembled 400SS. And in that tub, I found the 15mm front brake master cylinder. Bugger.

At least I know where it is, so now I can lose it again for the next time I want to use it.

To make the inside of the muffler end cap a little less obvious I tried to clean up the inside with some scotchbrite (which didn't work as hoped polish wise), then ran some masking tape around the inside of the outer and the machined end cap. I had machined the end cap prior to giving it to Ken when he made the muffler so I could fit a baffle as used in the last muffler. It didn't make a lot of difference sound wise, so I made another with a smaller and longer internal tube and then folded a piece of sheet metal into a u shape and welded it on. Suitably low rent, and effective I must say. I don't really know if it's that loud, but the high outlet certainly gets into my helmet.

171112 (4)s.jpg

And today at the FOIM, after a lot of them had left. I think it might be finished at this point.

Now I can pull it apart again.

171112 (8)s.jpg

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
this is the baffle I welded up prior to riding to the FOIM. it was a very quick job. not pretty, but very effective as it happens. it's a bit loud without it, but not like the previous muffler.

a local exhaust bloke told me years ago that a baffle needs to fully obstruct the linear flow of the gas to really work, but without that obstruction being restrictive as such.

the previous one was a shorter tube much the same size with an open end, like a staintune baffle would be. it really didn't make that much difference.

not sure how this will work on the dyno - don't want or care to find out really.

171113 (3)s.jpg 171113 (2)s.jpg

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
someone replied to a facebook pic of minnie that she looks like a pit bike, so i made the helmet bigger in the pic he was alluding to. looks pretty good grom sized.

171112 (8) pit bike 4.jpg

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
as a book end to this, minnie went back to std and left on a rainy day. i don't sell many bikes, and generally am happy to just wave them goodbye, but i was really worried about the new fella having any issues with this one.

ended up with the hot 750 engine cooled down to mostly std as i couldn't sell it locally. a guy had bought it, but it turned out he wanted to take it to bali to fit to his m400 and the bribes to get it through customs were huge. i ended up filing off the engine number very neatly to stamp a 600 number from a set of cases i own, but once filed i then proceeded to start restamping the original 750 number. unbefuckinglievable. so then i filed that off with less neatness and got it right. going over it with some coarse emery paper and a soft hammer gave it some "not just filed off" texture.

having been all apart it was clean, and std and hopefully reliable and gone. all the custom bits are distributed around the factory, and i have a 95 m900 frame i hope to put it all in. and a m659 engine (little 696 for lams) that could be fun. maybe.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I just noticed that your old stinger design is exactly the same as J&R used in their two stroke exhausts back in the seventies for exactly the same reason.

61 - 70 of 70 Posts