Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was totally shocked to see that all three riders who tossed their motorbikes down the road in Spain and ended their race day in hospital have been(y) OK'd to race this coming weekend. It's a good thing that Titanium is legal to use in MotoGp as those boys are riding with their fair share of the stuff on board ; and not as part of the motorbikes.

Will really be interesting to see how the teams do now that they have a full weekend behind them. Looks as if the weather will be a wee bit cooler (not much) with some cloud cover so all in all about the same.

Cheers

·
Registered
476 Posts
Short season. Can't afford to miss races and still be in the title hunt.

Still, insane 93 is going to run after snapping his arm clean in half.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
J-Rod and TR,
True with the season being as short as it is a guy like M & M will be done (especially considering how well Top Gun and El Diablo are going) if he was to miss two finishes in a row. But crap I had the exact same break he has (30 years ago so the fix'n is no doubt better ) and I was drugged and on my back for two weeks hurt like hell too ! He's a tough cookie ya ask me.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Y'all see the clip of the workout the GP docs put Marquez through to declare him fit?

50 pushups, with a freshly broken in half arm. Made it look easy.

Good race. Vale held Vinales off for damn near 20 laps. Just couldn't get those last two done.

I think Quartararo is going to throw a kink in 93's domination. He's good. He's fast.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
The KTM’s all seemed to want to get back to their dirt roots....

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The KTM’s all seemed to want to get back to their dirt roots....
True but you got to admit the South African (when he stops rearranging pea gravel) is going to be running at the front. I also loved how the Old Man kept his head; didn't wear himself out and beat the kids. Had to feel for Bags tho, having the bike leaving him at the last when he had done so well, .

Cheers

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
True but you got to admit the South African (when he stops rearranging pea gravel) is going to be running at the front. I also loved how the Old Man kept his head; didn't wear himself out and beat the kids. Had to feel for Bags tho, having the bike leaving him at the last when he had done so well, .

Cheers
All true, I hope Binder grows out of the sand traps, but he’s been Binned it Binder for a while. I was crushed for Bagnia. And I’m glad to see FQ come into his own. I had high hopes for him when he came out of dominating CEV as a 14 year old.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
It is really interesting how fast rookies are on the yamaha... but now KTM! And to think that it is basically a steel trellis chassis.

Mat Oxley always has interesting insight...

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
I made a slow motion of Marquez crash and his arm was bending like a second elbow. Never thought he was ever going to make the race the talk was all media hype. Hope he did not do further harm to that radial nerve, that could end his career.

·
Registered
476 Posts
It is really interesting how fast rookies are on the yamaha... but now KTM! And to think that it is basically a steel trellis chassis.

Mat Oxley always has interesting insight...
KTM has never had a power issue. They've had a put that power to the ground issue. Seems they seem to be sorting that part of it out.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

KTM list 2 2019 RC16’s for sale at £260,000 EACH
The SloMo shows a lot of what happened and thanks for that. I didn't really see the bone displacement but it did look as if he might have gotten tangled up with the motorbike while he was playing in the landscaping. I don't think that Honda was doing any hype in letting him try and ride. I've had both plates and hydrosplinting and when the bone is plated it feels fairly stable. I think he was trying to get as many points as he could and I suspect that the Honda boss felt he owed Mark a chance to try. I say this if for no other reason than at the pre-race interview the team manager wasn't looking too pleased that Mark was going to give it a go. This was just the opposite of what I would have expected.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
The SloMo shows a lot of what happened and thanks for that. I didn't really see the bone displacement but it did look as if he might have gotten tangled up with the motorbike while he was playing in the landscaping. I don't think that Honda was doing any hype in letting him try and ride. I've had both plates and hydrosplinting and when the bone is plated it feels fairly stable. I think he was trying to get as many points as he could and I suspect that the Honda boss felt he owed Mark a chance to try. I say this if for no other reason than at the pre-race interview the team manager wasn't looking too pleased that Mark was going to give it a go. This was just the opposite of what I would have expected.
Just as well once you catch what his arm actually goes through you cant un-see it. I found it quite amazing how the spinning front wheel grabbed him by the arm and just shot him out. My thought about him not being able to race was due to the radial nerve being disturbed and the risk of loosing hand strength and not being able to stop, clearly he recognized the loss in power as he put it and quickly pulled in.

Injury of Radial Nerve: Causes, Symptoms & Diagnosis

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Poor Zarco is such a victim of the greener grass syndrome, KTM could have a chance this season.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Poor Zarco is such a victim of the greener grass syndrome, KTM could have a chance this season.
I think Zarco just couldn't ride that bike. Pol didn't do horrible on it last year.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think Zarco just couldn't ride that bike. Pol didn't do horrible on it last year.

Nic, My wife were both volunteer ambulance medics for Sears Point and Laguna years ago so I had to go back and see the vid again. You are quite right it does look like the wheel tagged the arm and just wrapped it up with the leathers. I also suspect that there was a considerable insult to the joint from the twisting that must have taken place. Often that injury will also involve the head of the humerus so the fact that he even tried to ride makes me think he was very luck and it was limited to the humerus only. I also agree it must have tweaked the nerves somewhat but if he;d had any nerve deficit MotoGp doctors would have found it when they cleared him to race. Still and all one brave lad as it had to be painful and he couldn't have taken many meds and still ride.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Nic, My wife were both volunteer ambulance medics for Sears Point and Laguna years ago so I had to go back and see the vid again. You are quite right it does look like the wheel tagged the arm and just wrapped it up with the leathers. I also suspect that there was a considerable insult to the joint from the twisting that must have taken place. Often that injury will also involve the head of the humerus so the fact that he even tried to ride makes me think he was very luck and it was limited to the humerus only. I also agree it must have tweaked the nerves somewhat but if he;d had any nerve deficit MotoGp doctors would have found it when they cleared him to race. Still and all one brave lad as it had to be painful and he couldn't have taken many meds and still ride.
Impact from the front wheel is what snapped his arm, they said.

He posted up pics on Insta of it. Clean break, and they certainly bolted it back together.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts