Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Everything you see for 100 bucks. No dryrot in the hoses, tanks seem solid, still have oxygen and acetylene in the tanks, lotsa tips and even goggles. Needs a chain on the front of the cart instead of that cheesy rope.

The regulator on the oxygen tank is a Craftsman. Didn't notice who made the other regulator.

I bought the EAA book on welding, so I guess I'll learn from there.

Seems to make fire and black boogers just fine. Any gaswelding experts care to chime in here? I have no idea what I have here. Decent deal?

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Hmmm, hot stuff :D
Keep a fire extinguisher handy :D

PJ

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Hmmm, hot stuff :D
Keep a fire extinguisher handy :D

PJ

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I paid that 30 years ago, good deal.

Now, if it is like it used to be, you will find out that the tank lease is more per year than you paid for the rig. We ended up buying the tanks for around $350, a better deal in the long run (it means nothing that you have the tanks, the gas place may only fill their tanks). Not sure if that is how it still is.

Jack

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I paid that 30 years ago, good deal.

Now, if it is like it used to be, you will find out that the tank lease is more per year than you paid for the rig. We ended up buying the tanks for around $350, a better deal in the long run (it means nothing that you have the tanks, the gas place may only fill their tanks). Not sure if that is how it still is.

Jack

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
today was too hot for me to think about welding, but I'd say ya done good. get some scraps and start working on your coupons. cheers, bcr

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
today was too hot for me to think about welding, but I'd say ya done good. get some scraps and start working on your coupons. cheers, bcr

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Something that the book isn't clear (to me) on, so please bear with the stupid n00b questions:

I know that acetylene at pressures greater that 15psi is to be avoided if I want to keep all my parts. I have heard that 5psi is a good place to start.

I have been adjusting the regulators like this:

Main oxy valve full open, acetylene about 1 turn open

Oxy at ~25psi, acetylene at ~5psi

Adjust the pressure at the regulators with the torch valves closed

Is this correct?

Also, the torch I have in the picture is a cutting torch, but the tip (4 small holes) didn't seem to lend itself to cutting well. Handling issues aside (kind of awkward), can you weld with a cutting torch? I was making puddles just fine, was the tip I had on probably just too small for the metal I was cutting?

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Something that the book isn't clear (to me) on, so please bear with the stupid n00b questions:

I know that acetylene at pressures greater that 15psi is to be avoided if I want to keep all my parts. I have heard that 5psi is a good place to start.

I have been adjusting the regulators like this:

Main oxy valve full open, acetylene about 1 turn open

Oxy at ~25psi, acetylene at ~5psi

Adjust the pressure at the regulators with the torch valves closed

Is this correct?

Also, the torch I have in the picture is a cutting torch, but the tip (4 small holes) didn't seem to lend itself to cutting well. Handling issues aside (kind of awkward), can you weld with a cutting torch? I was making puddles just fine, was the tip I had on probably just too small for the metal I was cutting?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts