Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
The café kids can't afford a ratted Austin-Healey that smells like a lathe, so they go for the stale gas and oily cases perfume vibe.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
yeah but comparatively speaking 4 cyl japanese motorcycles don't smell anywhere near as good as other old vehicles. Anything British smells like old leather and machine oil (even the bikes and they don't use leather). old Airplanes always smell like hot oil, light mildew, and avgas and it is wonderful (oddly enough in summer my jeep smells exactly like I remember my father's '46 cessna 140 and '63 mooney smelled like inside).

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
yeah but comparatively speaking 4 cyl japanese motorcycles don't smell anywhere near as good as other old vehicles. Anything British smells like old leather and machine oil (even the bikes and they don't use leather). old Airplanes always smell like hot oil, light mildew, and avgas and it is wonderful (oddly enough in summer my jeep smells exactly like I remember my father's '46 cessna 140 and '63 mooney smelled like inside).
Best smelling motorcycle that I ever owned was a 1931 Norton 500 International that lived on a diet of good fuel and an oil tank full of Castrol R 40.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Oddly enough I just bought one of those old Santee chrome "airboxes" and split it open for cleaning. Guess what I found inside? Ok, I'll tell you...rubber velocity stacks just like honda used stock. They aren't the same shape so some carb tuning will be necessary but my point is - this isn't "new" information. People have known about this for decades and it is the difference between a well made part and a piece of garbage.

100% about carb vents. Even not having the rubber lines attached in a vent to atmosphere setup can have some effect. Just from an aesthetic standpoint, forget the functional for a second, I don't understand these cafe kids with 4 cylinder hondas who prefer to have carbs vent excess fuel right on to their engine cases instead of on the ground like it should.
You are correct about the well made and piece of garbage. These weren't Santee. They were more or less enclosed on all 4 sides with louvers stamped in, didn't have anything resembling a velocity stack and didn't work at all. I agree the velocity stack thing isn't new, but thought it might be appropriate to post it here, because there seems to be folks that aren't aware of it.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I'm SOMEBODY, now!!! Things are going to start happening to me, now!

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Ive heard of covering carbs on zip karts with your hands to richen up, but using a leg on a road bike is a pretty ridiculous suggestion.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
It would be far more sophisticated to have a velocity stack in the seat, directly under the riders butt, to allow tuning adjustments at high speed. Then the bike could be tuned to optimum performance by shifting the butt around. It would be living proof that hipster - buildr café racer bikes truly suck ass. :rolleyes:

Danger, is my business.

·
Registered
7,020 Posts
I had to post just so I could get the previous posters name off the index page. It's been so nice and quiet here without him. It was the right move for the site. Kudos to those in charge.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
there's some straight b.s. and bad info in this thread

don't say laminar flow just because it sounds cool
To quote Frank Stephenson:

.Please warn us what is the name of your aeroplane so that we never run the risk of being driven in it by you. Life is short enough as it is without guys like you around to scare the crap out of us with your aerodynamic incompetence and disregard for precision work. Now go drive your aeroplane and try not to fukall the innocent passenger's lifes.

·
Banned
1,926 Posts
Yamaha were using a Helmholtz resonator in the mid 80's, (first on MX bikes, later on street bikes, the 'boost bottle')
Except for a few engineering types who knew what it was, everyone else wondered what the hell it was for
I'm going to link this thread 'over there' ;)
I have been dabbling with helmholtz resonators for a few years now and with me starting to get better with an arduino I might have a pop at a variable resonator on my single cylinder racebike next year. There is a lot to be gained by playing the old slide whistle in both the intake and exhaust tract so long as you can learn the tune!

Nice thread on pods and a must read for anyone wanting to know why the cheap ones suck... or not as the case may be.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts