Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well actually i do according to north carolinas dmv, heys guy ,a newbie to cafe racers here but not motorcycles , been on them 28 of my 35 years on this earth and loved every second of it!! i have a question about getting a title for the 1980 cb400t i just bought yesterday for no good reason other than it runs good and was super cheap (although it aint pretty ,i'll post a pic soon) i called the DMV here today and had them run the numbers and they couldnt find a record of it ,is there anyway for me to get a title if i cant get one for this bike ? any and all help is greatly appreciated ! THANKS

·
Registered
173 Posts
I don't know about the particular laws in your state, but here in AR they changed the laws and now you have to get a bonded title if you are not the original owner. You have to either take it to the state police so they can verify the VIN or you can pay them to send someone out and check it. I have no personal experience but they say it takes 3-4 weeks to process it and get you the title.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Some years ago I bought a bike with no title. In fact the seller didn't own the bike. He took in lieu of money owed and never registered it in his name. And never bothered to go get the title. Last tag was '88. I went to the DMV with a bill of sale only. DMV sent me to the CHP. CHP ran the numbers and they were clean. Back to DMV. Hand over $38 and got new plates and a couple of weeks later the title arrived. Your results may vary. The point being go to your DMV and ask them what you have to do. I'm pretty sure they can tell you what you need.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help guys, the father of a friend of mine is the dmv inspector for our area ,I'm going to get in touch with him today and see what he tells me ,hopefully nothing bad (stolen bike). I've been wanting to build something like this for a few years ,and then this thing shows up out of no where . So fingers crossed!

·
Registered
928 Posts
I used to live in NC, it's not a fun process but I'm sure you'll find that out from your DMv inspector friend.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
doesn't NC have personal property Taxes for motorcycles? you could be staring down a large tax bill for unpaid back taxes - something you may want to ask your insider at the DMV about.

A cb400T without a title should be free - $150 at most if you really wanted it.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Long story short if you have no title a bonding process is in your future, get it bonded fill out paperwork wait, DMV inspector checks it out file for title pay fee. Make sure you have bill of sale or some paperork notarized. If not go back to seller. You will more than likely need it. Make sure all of your paperwork is right the first time and follow every step exactly like they tell you. It seems like they like to find all your errors. Or have someone in another state get one though their easy process and sell it to you. (at your own risk)

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
quote:Originally posted by mega4ce

Hoof,
What state was that process in? CA?
Yeah. I see a lot of posts on various forums about bikes/cars with no title and what to do. I can't speak for the DMV of other states but CA have processes that can sort out most problems. You just have to remember that its their field, their ball and their rules. Follow them, cross the Ts and dot the Is and most of the hassle disappears.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Find a friend or relative that lives in Maine or Vermont. Super easy for anything 15 years old or more. Bill of sale and proof of insurance and zap, you are on the road.

Maybe Evil should start a sideline business registering bikes for guys. Wasn't there a guy, Diesel, from Portland Maine that had a few posts offering to do this?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok guys ,heres a funny thing! the dmv cant find it in their system ,but the bike was inspected as recently as april of 92 (the sticker is still on the fork tube). my guy ran the numbers on the "hot list" and it didnt get a hit there either. then a little birdie proceeded to tell me that for the bike being as old as it is or even how long ago it was inspected,that i would be better off to just buy a title from a destroyed bike and file it as such . and then proceded to direct me to another individual that ,after i made a call to them just happen to have a few titles to several early cb's and has a back yard sitting full of junked bikes. and since im gonna tear this thing down to the bare frame and come back up ,that seems to be the most cost efficent ,time and money wise thing to do! atleast according to the little birdie!! Oh and geeto good guess on the price ! you were within $50 of what i paid for the thing(i paid $100) AND it had a new battery in it!! the battery by its self is worth $60

·
Registered
928 Posts
That is definitely one way to do it

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
What about Title services that "buy" your bike and get it registered in a non title state and then "sell" the bike back to you so you can get it tiled in your state.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've not heard of that before,but that would definitely have been an option for me. Well I ended up getting a title for an 80 model cb from that guy thankfully! So now I can begin tearing this little piece of hell apart,yes I know its only a 400. BUT it'll be fun to cut ,hack and weld on something that I really don't have any real money in, I'm a decent welder ,and fabricater and this as I said earlier is my first endeavor into caferacers (yes I know you can't really count a cb400 as a legitamite racer) but it'll still be fun to poke around on it and I can ride back roads all the way to work. If this goes ok then id like to find a late 70's real early 80's suzuki and do it again only this time ,start with a few more cc's. Thanks to everyone for the responses ,have a good week guy's!

·
Registered
965 Posts
He found "THE" title or "A" title? I wouldn't mess around with VIN swaps. In the future (for those stupid enough to find themselves in the same situation yet wise enough to use the search function) then your two options are to pay a title service hundreds of dollars and wait months for a title to arrive in the mail or call NC DMV License & Theft Bureau at (919) 861-3141, tell them you have acquired an abandoned vehicle that you'd like to register and follow their instructions to the letter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
he found a title to a cb400t,the same thing as mine nothing much left to it but a somewhat rusty frame, A(1)fork ,the hub of the rear wheel, and a few misc brackets, so i was considering just keeping my current frame and starting to cut that one, that way i have a correctly vined frame.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I know you mean well, but that's a sure path to jail if the man thinks you are VIN tampering. And after all that you may end up with a Salvage title.

If the replacement frame has a title that checks out as OK, then you could transfer that to your name and rebuild that "bike" with your "spare parts". But you want top know that the title is clean. That has been done before now and I think it's kosher.

If the hulk has been in the junk yard for long enough, it may have dropped out of the system and come up clean from the DMV.

·
Registered
10,506 Posts
since you are dealing with a bike that is neither special nor rare why not just find a bike with papers......

1 - 19 of 19 Posts