Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rode a Street Twin today. I'll soon be riding one more often.

Incredible engine, comfortable ergos...as much as I've enjoyed my Enfield...it has neither.

IMG_1147.JPG

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
No. 2 reasons

1. I don't have the room.
2. This is happening because the bike is causing a level of pain in my knees to the point that I quickly go from being able to operate the rear brake safely to not at all. The act of shifting is sketchy at best.

It's been an issue that has kind of crept up on me over last season, but the first couple rides this year have been really bad. I think age is starting to creep into my ability to act like a kid. Glad I did it though.

It's available. Want it?

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Damn right i want it. Haha.
No money for it though, and I'm likely waayyy too fat to ride it, being 6' two and 250 lbs.
I'll trade you a diesel mercedes for it, lol. Or a diesel mercedes and a nice cb350 even. ;)

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
...and nearly a month later, here it is, as modeled by the lovely Jessica.

Who'd have thought it'd take this long to get a plain black Triumph...

20170523_131637_resized.jpg

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm going way out on a limb here...This is the best moto I've ever owned, maybe ridden.

Maybe it's just in comparison to the Enfield that I've been riding. As much as I enjoyed owning and riding that bike, it is absolutely crude and third worldly in comparison. It was a great handling frame with garbage suspension units and extremely under powered.

The opposite to my first experience with the Triumph.

The Enfield was getting difficult to ride as the seating position was destroying my knees. 95 miles home today and nothing. No pain (disclaimer; We're also comparing rearsets to "regular" controls) .

Fit and finish, great. Engine glassy smooth, snickety snicky shifting. Slipper clutch, ABS, Traction control...Modern bike throughout.

It took three pipes on the enfield, to get it "right". The Triumph? with the 270 crank, the exhaust note is very Duclike. Very. Just needs a dry clutch.

Not saying the new Bonnies are perfect. The suspension is a little soft and under damped. The saddle pushes me forward a bit too much. The mirrors suck.

·
Registered
6,206 Posts
Excuse my ignorance here why does it need a dry clutch (not disputing anything just unknowing)
Are you asking what the advantages of a dry vs wet clutch are? Dry equals more friction, dry clutches are mechanically simple, smaller, lighter and don't dirty up your transmission or engine oil with clutch wear material. Also cheaper to produce and the pull at the lever may offer significantly less resistance. Heat will kill either clutch but the wet clutch has a better chance to dissipate heat before seeing damage. Either one should last you a life time if you use it and service it right.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I'm going way out on a limb here...This is the best moto I've ever owned, maybe ridden.

Not saying the new Bonnies are perfect. The suspension is a little soft and under damped. The saddle pushes me forward a bit too much. The mirrors suck.
That's so the after market people can make some $$$$.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
This thread needs pics of more than just a hat and a crate

hapoy to hear you like the street twin so much. I didn't know the new ones used a 270 crank like the scrambler.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

hapoy to hear you like the street twin so much. I didn't know the new ones used a 270 crank like the scrambler.
I'm hunting down a rock and old beat up brick wall...

I'd been up about 30 hours when I wrote that. Glad it made some sense...

Pretty sure all three Bonnie engines are using 270s.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
IThe Triumph? with the 270 crank, the exhaust note is very Duclike. Very. Just needs a dry clutch.
Excuse my ignorance here why does it need a dry clutch (not disputing anything just unknowing)
Apparently another era has come to an end.

He was talking about the Ducati sound. Back in the 90s when Ducati had it's resurgence, they became known (almost) as much for their loud clutches as their booming exhaust note. The plates on the dry clutches would rattle, especially when they started to wear, and people made it even more obvious by putting open clutch covers on them.

Ducati hasn't used dry clutches for a few years now, so the recent bikes don't have that same rattle to them. The next time you see a '90s to early 2000's era Ducati, listen for the rattle at idle. That's the clutch. On some bikes you would swear they are running with no oil or something, it sounds downright nasty.

EDIT: So here's the basic idea. There's a rattle/ringing sound which changes when you pull the clutch lever in. This one has no clutch over at all on it, which is pretty stupid on a street bike. There are a thousand kinds of open covers out there, Google it if you care.

In other news, congrats on the new Triumph, Farmer John! Sounds like it'll be a fun ride.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)

IMG_1184.JPG

Best I could do. Had a hard time stopping.

South Lyon Hotel, South Lyon, MI. Wifey and I had our reception there a bit over a year ago and then burned to the ground a few weeks later. It was a historical building, having been built in the late 1800s. Looks like they're rebuilding it on its original footprint.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts