Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Other than the done to death tank and doughnut out back I'd be pretty happy with this parked in front of the shop. As a daily rider I think it'd be a blast and with a little suspension work/upgrades it'd be a even more fun. I just picked up 920rh(chain drive) #2.75 and one might have to be setup like this. I like it!

http://www.bikeexif.com/yamaha-xv750

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Looks a lot better than a Sportster' cafe

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Looks a lot better than a Sportster' cafe

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There's some decent power to be had in the engine as well. Apparently 90hp and more is not unheard of with the basic bolt ons, port work and more compression. I do love a good v-twin...

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There's some decent power to be had in the engine as well. Apparently 90hp and more is not unheard of with the basic bolt ons, port work and more compression. I do love a good v-twin...

·
Registered
23,302 Posts
Nah, I would say about 85%. That tank is a real deal breaker for me, plus the chubby front and 16" rear. The sporty pipes are also kind of meh. The leading axle forks would have to go as well, and I don't know what kind of rear shock he has on there but I am not seeing ohlins yellow or works brushed alloy.

I am just not seeing a lot to improve the ride quality. I certainly agree with the diet he put it on, but it looks like it would handle slightly worse than stock. There were apparently people who used to race these, I would like to see some of that tech blead down instead of just a high level of cosmetic build quality.

·
Registered
23,302 Posts
Nah, I would say about 85%. That tank is a real deal breaker for me, plus the chubby front and 16" rear. The sporty pipes are also kind of meh. The leading axle forks would have to go as well, and I don't know what kind of rear shock he has on there but I am not seeing ohlins yellow or works brushed alloy.

I am just not seeing a lot to improve the ride quality. I certainly agree with the diet he put it on, but it looks like it would handle slightly worse than stock. There were apparently people who used to race these, I would like to see some of that tech blead down instead of just a high level of cosmetic build quality.

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
Exactly. It might look good from a distance, but those stupid tires means you're just plodding around the neighborhood. Which is fine and all, if that's all you want out of it. Cheaper than a Harley.

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
Exactly. It might look good from a distance, but those stupid tires means you're just plodding around the neighborhood. Which is fine and all, if that's all you want out of it. Cheaper than a Harley.

·
Registered
23,302 Posts
I dunno if it is cheaper than a harley. most people can't build to that level of cosmetic refinishing. I think you could get a used sportster for less than what he has in paint and fab alone. And the sporty would have more potential and be more approachable for the home builder. Depending on the model it would probably handle better as well (xr1200 anyone?)

·
Registered
23,302 Posts
I dunno if it is cheaper than a harley. most people can't build to that level of cosmetic refinishing. I think you could get a used sportster for less than what he has in paint and fab alone. And the sporty would have more potential and be more approachable for the home builder. Depending on the model it would probably handle better as well (xr1200 anyone?)

·
Registered
965 Posts
quote:Originally posted by UngaWunga

Exactly. It might look good from a distance, but those stupid tires means you're just plodding around the neighborhood.
The Bostrom brothers didn't seem to have many complaints about it other than limited ground clearance in right hand turns due to the exhaust system. Granted, their commentary was for a television program and they're both talented racers who could ride the wheels off most anything, but it appeared to be a fine handling machine on the small road circuit they were testing on.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts