Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
The company I work for makes RFID labels. That's a pretty clever idea and never thought of it used that way.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
The company I work for makes RFID labels. That's a pretty clever idea and never thought of it used that way.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Pinche,
I've been poking around the various companies that produce RFID components (the tags, the readers, etc), but haven't been able to get any prices without getting on the phone. All the companies seem to want to sell you consulting and a package deal. Conceptually it would not be difficult to purchase and set up our own RFID system. I suspect there are a lot of issues to deal with, but if I can't determine how expensive a scanner / receiver unit is. Do you know much about how much the tags and reader really cost... $1/tag might be realistic for walmart ordering 10million, but want about ordering 150 tags?

Any info is interesting at this point.

Thanks
karl

·
Registered
725 Posts
Pinche,
I've been poking around the various companies that produce RFID components (the tags, the readers, etc), but haven't been able to get any prices without getting on the phone. All the companies seem to want to sell you consulting and a package deal. Conceptually it would not be difficult to purchase and set up our own RFID system. I suspect there are a lot of issues to deal with, but if I can't determine how expensive a scanner / receiver unit is. Do you know much about how much the tags and reader really cost... $1/tag might be realistic for walmart ordering 10million, but want about ordering 150 tags?

Any info is interesting at this point.

Thanks
karl

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
What I want is for credit card companies to start putting them in their cards so I can walk around with a reader and read all your credit info. Hope the Real ID passes, so I can get all your other personal information as well. Then I can retire and race for fun.

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Karl,
Typically the RFID tag in our case would be ordered "blank" and programmed with info by the club. Or would be ordered with each having a unique code. The code would be tied to rider information in our computer system by scanning the tag. We'd most likely be ordering from a "middle man" that buys them by the 1000's and pays pennies each, we'd pay a tad more, say 40 cents to 1$ each.

Costs for the tags vary depending on how much info can be stored on them. Supermarkets etc. like tags that store sku#, price, location, etc. We'd probably just be using tags with a simple code. The computer software has the info for our members entered into it, you bring up the members info, scan the tag, the software attaches that code to that rider, now when that rider passes through tech and gets scanned the software knows "John Doe" went through tech. Ditto with loops at start/finish, pit in, pit out, etc.

The more advanced setups have rider information on the tag, you walk up to registration they scan the tag, it automatically brings up your name, USCRA number, AMA number, etc, rider tells them what classes he'll be running, done. Now that rider is entered in the event software, it will be looking for him at tech, it will be looking for him on the grid, it will be looking for him during the race.

To mullify the tin foil hat crowd we'd probably have to go with a simple code tag, so that if you lose your tag in a crash, if you throw it away etc. it won't have any personal info on it.

As for costs, the systems I've seen quoted for racing say 40 cents to $1 each for tags, I'm sure you'd buy the tags from the people that supplied the system.
JohnnyB

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Rob...go ahead and steal my identity....I'm not using it anyway.
Long as you beat Parks and Champ in 250 my identity will be happy.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Off the top of my head, JohnnyB is pretty close. We don't kick out huge numbers of these as the work that is involve weeding out the duds from quality labels. I mean it's actually done with one person going through a roll one at a time. Lets just say I bow down to the person who can sit there and do that for 8 hours a day 5 days a week and so on. These labels are really kept track of no grabbing a few. Unlike other labels where they get tossed out like a dirty tissue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts