Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMG_20141211_104607763.jpg

In Mexico last week we kept seeing this bike around town. Looked in very good condition guesing it is a late 80's or early 90's model. Anyone have any history on this model / looked neat.
ed

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I didn't even know these existed! It seems they were only in Mexico and Austria, from what I can find. Very interesting!

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The funny thing is all the other bikes we saw that week were those very small displacement models disguised as big cruisers. The cops were using a bunch of Segways in town (PVR).

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
That isn't a standard CBR600. That's why I was surprised by it. I never knew they made a 500 (498cc), before.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Different countries, different laws (license, age, bhp limits, insurance categories), different emissions regulations.

France I think has a 100PS limit, Switzerland too (used to be lower), UK has age, HP, CC limits. Manufactures have to get round this stuff somehow.

So a 500 in Mexico but a 600 the UK.

·
Registered
10,485 Posts
My friend had a mint one for years. Then it got fucked up in his garage. Sucks, wanted that thing

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Looks just like a standard CBR600F to me, except for the 500F decal. They were the racebike to have for a couple of years, 87 - 88, until the FZR600 came out. They owned C production and C superbike. I was the 1988 SE region C production champion on mine. It had a Fox shock, Progressive suspension fork springs, stainless brake lines Metzler comp K tiresand EBC brake pads. That is all you were allowed to change for production class. It was a really easy bike to ride hard.

Ken

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Somewhat on topic...Why CBR in U.S., but Fireblade in U.K.? "Fireblade" seems kinda hackneyed to me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It was called a Fireblade in the U.K. Because the Brits had trouble spelling CBR. Just joking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
They had the same trouble with "YZF", and had to resort to "Thunder Ace"....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts