Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
As long as we're going off the rails here, pulling significant vacuum in your airbox seems a bit counter-productive. If the breather system depends on vacuum in your airbox, why would ram induction be a good thing?
The ram induction is to increase the air intake pressure and oxygen flow.
The crankcase vent is timed in opposition to combustion chamber compression.
Two different things, you always want close to atmospheric pressure in your crank case.
Your intake wants a large volume of reasonably non turbulent air to draw from :|
forced induction is just forced induction, pound more air and fuel into the thing before you slam the valves shut and compress it with the piston = bigger bang

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Early Ducati EFI did not use a closed loop with O2 sensors. Looks like you bike has a different ECU than my 2004 ST3, but you can probably reprogram it or get a chip burned at the dyno shop, but what filters are you fitting? the Ducati performance air box was basically a lid with the top cut off to eliminate the restriction caused by the intake snorkels. That leaves stock intake velocity stacks in place.

There may be a separate pod filter system with inbuilt velocity stacks. I'm new to Ducati ownership, so check things out and go over to Ducati.ms and see if "Belter" will chip in. Brad Black is the expert and is probably the one guy that can answer your questions.

Mine has straight through DP pipes, DP airbox and DP ECU. WIth the right USB adapter and software it's not hard to program, but I'd suggest that you go to a Ducati shop with a dyno and ability to tweak the mapping to get yours to run right. All that assumes you have a good air filter setup of course. And that takes us back to where we started.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
That's the ticket. May still need an O2 sensor to look at ratios at various RPMs but just use it as an analytical tool to build a good map.
Thank you!

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Stock pipes have a small bung which I think is designed to take a CO sensor to set slow speed mixtures. If/when you strap it to a dyno, they should have a sniffer to measure at least lambda. It's a useful tool, but that's not the main event for performance or to eliminate flat spots but it will at least show up where on the map it's too lean or too rich.

Your ECU may also have a trim pot (potentiometer) which adds or deletes fuel (pulse width). I don't know if yours is external or is under the sticker beside the EPROM. Brad will know though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
My system is Marelli IAW 5.9M. Yup that bung was exactly where I'd planned on installing it.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Plenty of places can re-flash your stock chip. not so easy with a 99 but you have the 2000 with the 5.9 not the earlier 1.6 that only a few can flash. Leave the air box cut the top add a K&N for a VW. You should be able to find the part number on Ducati MS pages. Leave the ductwork to the triple tree clamps so you direct the fresh cool air to that area.
To the guy picking on the little filter on his other bike you missing the separator valve under the filter very little oil comes out due to the valve action and the baffles in the cases.
My 99 ST4 is basically same bike My stock valve cracked at the hose fitting motor stayed clean it was busted over a year cause i wasn't going to spend 5hr pulling all the fairning untill it needed service. I've replaced it with the alum aftermarket unit.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
5.9 looks just like a 5AM which is what my ST3 has. I am pretty sure you can use tuneboy or JPDiag to reprogram the chip and I would think you should be able to find a dyno shop that has that. You may need to buy the cable to connect your diagnostic port to OBD2 and from that to USB to work with the dyno shop's software but they should have one.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
You will love it if you are brilliant with the right computer software and internet savvy and trust that the aftermarket maps built into it are at least as good as the factory ones.
  • Each Power Commander Unit includes a built-in microprocessor and a base map for your motorcycle. Updated base maps are available for download from the PowerCommander.com website.
You can learn to tune fuel injection by altering the maps on a PC laptop computer program :cool: or if it messes things up just unplug it. Hope you have a laptop, it would suck to use a desktop.

... and a dyno, gonna need one so you know if you improved anything.
UNLESS...the PC III usb is compatible with Dynojet's Auto tune module, with which you set a target AFR, install at least one wide band O2 sensor (they make two set ups. AT200 single channel and AT300 dual channel) and and wire it into a switchable 12v power source and the damn thing tunes as you ride. Pretty slick.

The only thing the PC III doesn't do is allow ignition tuning, which the PC V has...Your bike is too old for that.

·
Registered
811 Posts
if it's a 2000 it has a 1.5m ecu. the 59m started in 2002 with the st frame redesign. trimmer on either is electronic.

you can flash 1.5m using the guzzi diag software, it's pretty easy.

a narrow band lambda is useless for tuning. it's a rich / lean switch, with pretty much no progressive lineararity between the two. you need a wide band lambda to tune.

oem closed loop systems run at steady throttle and rpm conditions over a designated area of the load range as set by the govt regs they're trying to hit. it's no good for transient conditions, it won't respond fast enough on an accelerating engine. as a self tuning system it's only at the lower end of the throttle range and hits a target you don't want anyway.

the pc3 usb for them had a distinct connector that plugs into the ecu itself. same as 750/900ssie 00 - 02. dynojet might not list it anymore, and if they didn't do a map for them they say they don't have it. 98 - 99 models and guzzi v11 are the same, but the loom is a bit different as the later ones use a side stand switch so i don't know that the earlier pc3 would work. no ignition timing mods on any ducati pc3/v.

you'd use some sort of dynojet solution (and you can probably use any ducati power commander that has injector connectors, they're all the same except dynojet act like their special for each model) and get it tuned as that's by far the easiest for local support and custom mods.

otherwise, getting the ecu flashed with a custom map is a much better idea if you can find someone who can do it. dynojet local support is high level saturation. 1.5m ecu custom mappers is not.

i run most of my ducati with open lids. i like the noise personally. if you have some sort of pod filter straight on the throttle bodies it will, ime, make pretty much no difference at all compared to the std airbox. they like some length and a bell. use the rubber bends 02> monsters, sc, gt use and put a trumpet in there like the corse dynamic or tpg or even seen people use the 4v/3v trumpets, all with some sort of large filter. of do whatever you have in mind. just tune it right.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts