Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've removed the knee pads from my Triumph, and left behind is dried- up, crusty residue from the old adhesive. Any suggestions as to how this can be removed without damage to the paint on my gas tank?

·
Registered
115 Posts
3M has what you want part number is 08987 almost all car parts house has it or can get it. by the way it a can. you can get bigger if needed.

eric750

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was unable to find that 3M product, so I ended up trying some stuff called "Oops!" (contains Xylene), recommended to me by the counter guy, and it worked really well. Thanks.
Now, what do I use to re-stick them? They haven't been stuck properly since I bought the bike 10 years ago. I examined several automotive trim adhesives, but nothing really seemed like the right thing.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
oops and goo gone are probably the best easily found adhesive removers.

AS for resticking the knee pads, I'm pretty sure the original stuff is NLA, however what you need is the adhesive that bodyshops use to stick weatherstrippng to cars. I forget the name of it but we used to have some at a resto shop I worked at. It brushed on. Talk to your local body shop and ask them what they use.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any opinions on butyl? That's what I've had recommended by a local bodyman.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts