Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
screw it I need to go on a long ride. Friends all ready to go on their big cube twins, problem is the only machine I have registered at the moment is my gt185. She runs like a dream, new lazertech tires, rear shocks, chain, sprockets ect, problem is i'd be doing a 660 Mile round trip from sydney to coffs harbor.

Am I just an idiot for running this thing over 5 thou revs all day for that long? Any special precautions on a little stroker for distance?

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I wouldn't do it. I have no specific knowledge about how long a 185 can bear those revs. Probably longer than I think, so long as the oiling system is working well. But I have an aversion to using the wrong tool for the job.

Do you have a bigger bike that is unregistered? Here in CA, we can get a temporary permit for vehicles that are being moved from one location to another. It's valid only for a day or two. Maybe you could check with your roads department and see if they can give you a temp. permit.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have my brothers t500 running nicely, problem is he's let the registration lapse. It cost around 900 bucks all up to rego the thing as well. No temporary permits I can see.

I would take it, but the ramifications of getting into an accident, or getting caught here are huge.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
That bike doesn't even reach peak til 7500 rpm. I can't see how 5k rpm all day would be an issue.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't get me started on the fees. Everyone over here complains a lot, but they don't actually do anything about it. When they organize a protest ride like they did in melbourne recently, I think only around 100 people showed up and they shot themselves in the foot anyway saying stupid shit to the press. But I digress...

anyone done long distance on a little stroker? moto giro types?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I watched Stephen Flach ride a 160 over 200 miles a day for 5 days straight in HOT California in July. And that was PRE-SlimFast Stephen Flach.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
My brother rode an RD400 from Wisconsin to Alaska and back. It is bigger than yours but WI to AK round trip is a lot more than 660 mi. I would take it and not worry about it, it will be fine The only thing I might do is try one heat range colder plug. It probably runs a B8ES and I would see if I could run B9ES as long as they didn't foul before it warmed up.

Ken

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Little bigger, but my 550's happy place is about 52-5400 rpm, around 72 mph. It'll run faster, but the mileage goes way down.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
bob dog.....that doesnt sound like alot to me....take it easy, dont push and im sure you and the bike will be just fine!!! heck we do moto giros on like bikes and we are pushing all day....go for it :)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Go for it! I know a bunch of guys that log 500miles on their 2 stroke vintage vespas in a weekend. Most under 200cc and some with 8" wheels.

Good luck,
Billy

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I think you can do it but don't plan to keep up with the big V-Twins...

·
Registered
854 Posts
In WI we can get away with a lot. Switching plates from one bike to another is nothing. Not legal, but I have been riding for over 10 years now and have never been pulled over. to top it off only about 4 of those years I have been fully registered.

I know nothing about 2-strokes, but run it and have fun. Chew up those twins in the turns and eat some bugs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts