Cafe Racer Forum banner

Aerial Dog Fights

4K views 38 replies 9 participants last post by  ttilghman 
#1 ·
I know there are a few guys on here who are into combat aviation. It may be "old news" but I just ran across a show called Dog Fights, I think form the History Channel. Anyway, it's mostly CG re-enactments but it's still way cool. Stuff from Korea with F86 Sabers and Mig 15s and Viet Nam F4 Phantoms and Mig 21s.

#2 ·
Show has been around for a while. Anything now is usually re-runs.

Just so you know there are combat simulators out there where you fly the plane. Usually cost about $3-5k but you get to shoot down someone in a real airplane.

#3 ·
Show has been around for a while. Anything now is usually re-runs.

Just so you know there are combat simulators out there where you fly the plane. Usually cost about $3-5k but you get to shoot down someone in a real airplane.

#6 ·
I remember while growing up in Wyoming seeing aeral dogfight between biplanes on a yearly basis. I suppose they did this on their way to airshows in Denver and other airfields nearby. Scottsbluff Nebraska had a large airfield as did Cheyenne Wyoming. Could have been any of those places. Later on there were WWII planes doing the same thing. I was amazing to have our own little airshow.

#7 ·
I remember while growing up in Wyoming seeing aeral dogfight between biplanes on a yearly basis. I suppose they did this on their way to airshows in Denver and other airfields nearby. Scottsbluff Nebraska had a large airfield as did Cheyenne Wyoming. Could have been any of those places. Later on there were WWII planes doing the same thing. I was amazing to have our own little airshow.

#11 ·
There are 11 episodes on Netflix. Not sure how many there are in total but they're fun to watch. The interviews with the actual pilots are some of the best stuff, you can still see the gleam in their eyes as they talk about it 50+ years later.

Geeto,
I took my kids to the Franklin Institute a couple weeks back and they had a flight simulator. I was tempted but I passed. Earlier this summer I was at the beach and my 14 yr old niece wanted me to go on this ride (can't remember the name) that whipped you around pretty good, at least a G. Took me 3 hours to feel right again. I used to be able to spend all day on those rides. I must be getting old.

#10 ·
There are 11 episodes on Netflix. Not sure how many there are in total but they're fun to watch. The interviews with the actual pilots are some of the best stuff, you can still see the gleam in their eyes as they talk about it 50+ years later.

Geeto,
I took my kids to the Franklin Institute a couple weeks back and they had a flight simulator. I was tempted but I passed. Earlier this summer I was at the beach and my 14 yr old niece wanted me to go on this ride (can't remember the name) that whipped you around pretty good, at least a G. Took me 3 hours to feel right again. I used to be able to spend all day on those rides. I must be getting old.

#13 ·
Combat simulation = real equipment but fake situation (think laser tag with airplanes)

Flight simulator = fake situation in fake equipment

If you ever want to see WWI biplanes dogfight there is a show at rhinebeck NY every weekend.

#12 ·
Combat simulation = real equipment but fake situation (think laser tag with airplanes)

Flight simulator = fake situation in fake equipment

If you ever want to see WWI biplanes dogfight there is a show at rhinebeck NY every weekend.

#15 ·
quote:Originally posted by Geeto67If you ever want to see WWI biplanes dogfight there is a show at rhinebeck NY every weekend.
Saturday is the barnstorming show and Sunday is the WWI show. The FAA doesn't allow them to get too wild these days but it's still damned cool to see a Fokker Triplane and a rotary engined (the engine and prop spin around the stationary crankshaft) Sopwith Camel circling the field.

They had an episode about the WWI planes and the flat half spin they show Voss doing at around the 7 minute mark looks like it would hurt:

You can see a triplane in flight with a rotary engine at the Golden Age museum in Pennsy:

http://www.goldenageair.org/

Oh yeah - if you ever get a chance to take a flight in a open cockpit Stearman, jump at it. It's an entirely different experience than flying in a closed cockpit Cessna.

#14 ·
quote:Originally posted by Geeto67If you ever want to see WWI biplanes dogfight there is a show at rhinebeck NY every weekend.
Saturday is the barnstorming show and Sunday is the WWI show. The FAA doesn't allow them to get too wild these days but it's still damned cool to see a Fokker Triplane and a rotary engined (the engine and prop spin around the stationary crankshaft) Sopwith Camel circling the field.

They had an episode about the WWI planes and the flat half spin they show Voss doing at around the 7 minute mark looks like it would hurt:

You can see a triplane in flight with a rotary engine at the Golden Age museum in Pennsy:

http://www.goldenageair.org/

Oh yeah - if you ever get a chance to take a flight in a open cockpit Stearman, jump at it. It's an entirely different experience than flying in a closed cockpit Cessna.

#16 ·
I've been to Rinebeck to see the air show. The museum on the property is very cool with a ton of vintage motorcycles. I've also been to the Curtis Museum again a mix of planes, cars and motorcycle. It has always amazed me how most of the early airplane designers were first into motorcycles and engine building. If I ever win the lottery my first dime I'll spend will be on a flight experience in a P51 down in Florida.

#17 ·
I've been to Rinebeck to see the air show. The museum on the property is very cool with a ton of vintage motorcycles. I've also been to the Curtis Museum again a mix of planes, cars and motorcycle. It has always amazed me how most of the early airplane designers were first into motorcycles and engine building. If I ever win the lottery my first dime I'll spend will be on a flight experience in a P51 down in Florida.

#18 ·
Jim, if you ever saw the flying farmer act in the 1980s, the pilot (whose name I am blanking on) used to fly a j3 sideways, often for over a minute. My father showed me the trick in a 172 when I was a kid, it is disconcerting but doesn't "hurt". Imagine a donut in a car but slower and softer. To hold it you are basically cross controll lock to lock. In a 172 you sink like a stone like that but a cub has so much lift you can sorta hold altitude.

Cubs - they will fly in a stiff fart.

#19 ·
Jim, if you ever saw the flying farmer act in the 1980s, the pilot (whose name I am blanking on) used to fly a j3 sideways, often for over a minute. My father showed me the trick in a 172 when I was a kid, it is disconcerting but doesn't "hurt". Imagine a donut in a car but slower and softer. To hold it you are basically cross controll lock to lock. In a 172 you sink like a stone like that but a cub has so much lift you can sorta hold altitude.

#21 ·
quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

Geeto - Stan Segalla the Flying Farmer. He just retired about 4 years ago. Supposedly, he's training his son to carry on the routine. As for the flat 180 they show Voss making - I was thinking the gees at even the slow speed the Tripe flies at would be an eye opener for some of the creaky old farts on this board - you know like Mickey....

#20 ·
quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

Geeto - Stan Segalla the Flying Farmer. He just retired about 4 years ago. Supposedly, he's training his son to carry on the routine. As for the flat 180 they show Voss making - I was thinking the gees at even the slow speed the Tripe flies at would be an eye opener for some of the creaky old farts on this board - you know like Mickey....

#22 ·
I knew someone that claimed to have been in a dog fight with a large scale RC plane once. Really was a cool story, and the home built Bi plane that he was flying was not that much bigger then a large scale anyway...lol

Its been a long time since I was up to Rinebeck

I love in the summers when the local air power museum takes the planes out for flights on the weekends
Something fun about being out at the beach in the morning and a B17, B24, P51, P47 Helldiver(i think) and a few others fly over. Sometimes the L39 circles the WW2 guys the whole time

#23 ·
I knew someone that claimed to have been in a dog fight with a large scale RC plane once. Really was a cool story, and the home built Bi plane that he was flying was not that much bigger then a large scale anyway...lol

Its been a long time since I was up to Rinebeck

I love in the summers when the local air power museum takes the planes out for flights on the weekends
Something fun about being out at the beach in the morning and a B17, B24, P51, P47 Helldiver(i think) and a few others fly over. Sometimes the L39 circles the WW2 guys the whole time

#24 ·
God jag, you are so bad at this....

P47 thunderbolt (also called the Jug):

SB2C helldiver (of which there are no survivors anywhere near NY)

The airpower's collection has a thunderbolt. I wouldn't give you so much shit about this of you weren't studying aerospace engineering. I would tell you to read a book once in a while but you have had my copy of flight of passage for a year and haven't touched it.

#25 ·
God jag, you are so bad at this....

P47 thunderbolt (also called the Jug):

SB2C helldiver (of which there are no survivors anywhere near NY)

The airpower's collection has a thunderbolt. I wouldn't give you so much shit about this of you weren't studying aerospace engineering. I would tell you to read a book once in a while but you have had my copy of flight of passage for a year and haven't touched it.

#27 ·
I missed ONE FUCKING COMMA OK!

Yes they have a P47 thunderbolt
AND
a a navy something or other. I dont think its a helldiver, its something similar though

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.