Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking around alot at "cafe'd" bikes and I rarely see american bikes being done. My friend's dad is trying to get me to take this '75 Harley Aermacchi SX-250 off his hands. I think it'd be cool to do it cafe. I might just get it to try and do that.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
I think the SX250 is a 2 stroke single that came after the 4 stroke 250. It has a cool looking chromed down pipe. With a good looking tank and seat, I think it could get a Bultaco Metralla kind of look going. Go for it.

Ken

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
if it is a two smoke then you will have a lot of fun with it (just remember chambers are your friend).

The only problem with the italian HDs is parts can be a bear to locate. that being said any 2 stoke is stone simple to work on.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
A long time ago in Ireland Queen's Universtiy in Belfast built up a Harley stroke racer. It was ridden by Ray McCullough. I have a photo somewhere. If I can find it I'll post it. As I remember it was a very handsome machine.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
sportsters and aermacchi's are not really the same thing....

actually now that I am thinking about it, isn't the SX250 a high pipe scrambler (dual sport) and not a regular street bike. Also, and I am not 100% sure on this, but weren't some of them made by cagiva?

in converting it to a street/race style bike you may end up using only the frame, motor, and pipe.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
my two sense...the maccis are the balls...the only harley badged rig i could own (excepting an xlcr). with an itallian heart...my wife's half italian. i love her very much.
-parks

·
Registered
241 Posts
Paul Brodie out here (actually Canada, but from you guys perspective pretty much the same thing) builds some very nice 350 Aermacchi racers.

I agree with you Parks - all of the Aermacchis I've been in contact with have been the balls. Those little X-90s are built like watches inside - everything has a bushing or bearing insert, all the bearing bores in the cases have steel bearing inserts, everything is built better than it needs to be for a little bike built to compete with Honda's Monkey bike. The 125 Rapido was <really> cool - had been siezed when almost new, partially taken apart then shoved in the back of the shop. It was like a time machine - even the fuel tank was <perfect> inside - looked like brand new. Rebuilt the engine and cleaned it up.

Michael

1 - 12 of 12 Posts