Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys... and Gals;

First time poster here. I'm posting this in the Project Build forum because someone in here might have some experience, or at least an opinion, on these after market headlight assemblies I'm considering. So has anyone bought one of these or know a bro who has?

http://www.speedmotoco.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=81&products_id=1715

http://www.speedmotoco.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=81&products_id=1744

And if so, what do you think?

I'm not expecting the best. I just don't want out right junk.

Or if you've got another option for $200 max, I'd like to hear about that too!

Thanks in advance. DanO

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
200 or less will buy you many fine headlights

I am sure if you peruse some of the HD catalogs

you can find very sleek, or even traditionally shaped billet headlights with screw in bezels for much less than 200

those headlight ear things mounted to the first headlight link

they suck

the second ones are much better

plenty of nice simple headlights are out there to be had for 35 bucks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
quote:Originally posted by HackAsaw

200 or less will buy you many fine headlights
One would certainly hope so!
I am sure if you peruse some of the HD catalogs
Well now, the HD catalogs are pretty expensive. Not that they're necessarily overpriced. But the stuff I find for HD in particular, and glamour choppers in general, tends to be a bit fancy for a 'street fighter' KLR.

those headlight ear things mounted to the first headlight link, they suck, the second ones are much better
Yea. I figured. I was attracted to that unit because it included 3 way turn indicators, which I might wire up as 'running lights'. However, one poster on the KLR forums pointed out that the 6.25" headlight diameter was a bit odd, and that the 7" would make for much easier replacemetnt lenses. Just as well really, since I'm looking for a blacked out unit if I can find one. The blacker the better.

plenty of nice simple headlights are out there to be had for 35 bucks
I had hoped so. But I've been all over the internet, and I can't find them. Johnson & Wood motorcycle wreckers in L.A. want $50 for rusty, dented and scarred up old headlight shells. So I figured I'd try and find something new online.

Thanks. DanO

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
You want a 7 inch head light?

bottom or side mounts?

I am sure I have stuff laying about still in the way.

discovered several 5 3/4 inch buckets today.

I'd think if you want one blacked out, it wouldn't be nothing but a thing to find a semi crusty one on ebay for nearly free, blast and powder it for 20 bucks or so.

Take a peek at jireh cycles online catalog

sometimes they really have some smoking hot deals on close out stuff

good luck

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
why cant you use a stock looking bucket with a 7in light and adapt a HID set up to it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
quote:Originally posted by jaguar

why cant you use a stock looking bucket with a 7in light and adapt a HID set up to it?
Well that's what I'm looking to do - only HID isn't necessary.

Where I'm coming from is: I have a '07 Kawasaki KLR dual purpose bike ( I know, not really a cafe racer) which I took the mini fairing and wind screen off for better, cleaner wind management. Now I'm looking like a dork, riding around with the old frame mounted square headlight. So I'm looking for a stock looking bucket and sensible light... nothing high speed, as the KLR's stock light doesn't win any awards.

·
Registered
61 Posts
My favorite project headlight is the round 7" used on 70s Honda CB550/750s, they can be had for $20+ have room for wiring and are side mounted. I always keep a couple on hand for when a project comes up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts