Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im after a set of gauges for my 75 Cb360, and found a set made by Drag Specialties that i like. But before i go and buy a set, id like to know that they will work, and correctly. I have no clue what ratio our speedos and tachs work, (1:1, 2:1, 2240:60, etc.

Anyone have any insight on this?

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Matt N

crap. no one knows?
I don't, but I've wondered the same thing.

Saw on a chopper once a little Drag Specialties speedo that mounted right on the brake drum. I'm sure it was totally useless, but thought it would be cool for a cafe if you lived somewhere that you needed a speedo to be legal.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
the speedo on the drive was a cycle exchange thing. They sell the kit for a cb750. good for keeping track of mileage and having one just to be legal. other than that useless.

Ok, yo you want looks or accuracy? those generic drag specalities mini-speedo types are ok but keep in mind most honda speedos are probably only just ok at this point. I guess what I am getting at is when it comes to this stuff, close enough is good enough since unless it is perfectly calibrated and certified (like on a police car) it is going to be off.

If you really want an accurate tach, why not look into an electronic one (analong powered by coil impulse not a digital display)? Most of the drag bikes I know run autometers.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
don't know about the speedo thing, but schitsu tachs work well (have to keep them charged) look nice, require no tach drive (clean install) but are pricey....and i wouldn't dare get a used (electronic) guage.
-parks
ps. a lot of giro dudes use bicycle speedos. although they don't look the part, they are letter of the law legal, spot on accurate (when set up properly) offer mucho additional info, and are cheap. you could hide it where no one would see.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im not looking for dead on accuracy, i just have to have a speedo, and it would be nice to know that i was within 5mph of accurate. if my stock honda gauges were fine i wouldnt even mess with aftermarkets, but since they are screwed and I can go down in size and improve looks, i figured why not.

really, im just trying to match the stock accuracy or better with smaller aftermarket gauge units. im not racing this bike, so spot on accuracy isnt necessary for me.

a tachometer is an option, so i may or may not put one on. Id like to, but the speedometer is the main concern.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
I would suggest you run both a tach and a speedo, without a tach you would never run the rpm's these motors love to run at. 7000 to 9000 rpm may sound wrong until you get used to it. Run a stock tach in the center position like we do on the racers and use a cycle speedo for your mph. The one to get is SIGMA brand, make sure it is the one that goes up to 120 mph as the other only goes to 60.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Summit makes a cheap electronic tach that works (sort of). It tracks perfectly with the stock tach until 5K RPM where it just kind of hangs. I'm still running points and I think that trigger signal is too sloppy at higher speeds. I plan on installing a Dyna S soon, and hoping that will fix this issue too.

My $10 bike speedo has held up for a couple of years now. I think it's still on the same battery. Both of these gauges combined weigh a fraction the stock tach.

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
I've got replace my Scitsu for this year..it's been through three crashes and the needle feel right off on the last race. But I'm not going to pay $250 again for a $50 tach. So I gotta come up with something else too. I need it to read 14,000...which will be hard to find. Last digital tach I tried would lag behind a second or more.

I've heard Daytona make electronic analog tachs.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
261 Posts
quote:tsfistb,
what you got in them forks?
nothing special in the forks, just pre-load adjusters.

that summit tach redlines at (or at least has numbers printed to) 11K RPM. For $30 it may be an option for some of you already running digital ignitions. I don't know for sure that the points are the problem, but it seems pretty likely.

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Evil set me up with a used Scitsu....but I bookmarked that page...still need another tach for the little 50. Some cool stuff on that site.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
Shindy Daytona tachs.
http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?productId=p171984
You can find them much cheaper than Dennis Kirk, but use it as a reference. Get the Shindy part # and search.

My old one hooks up to a 9volt battery. Very nice when you have a magneto race ignition. Looks like these need 12volts.

Anyways, that's a start. let me know what you find as I need one too.

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
Oh, and my old Daytona tach has an adjustment for sensitivity. Just keep turning it down until it reads clean up to 11K.

Wish I could remember where I bought it...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Im personally liking the Vapor. In fact im pretty sure thats what im going to get. Any help on what kit i need to get? They dont exactly have one listed for my 360. Haha

Thanks for all the suggestions and help, its much appreciated. Its not quite over yet, but it may be. ;)

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
THe Vapors are not bike specific. I have the other version of the Vapor on my DRZ400. Actually, the kit for the DRZ would probably work fine for a 360. It mounts to the handlebars.

Give them a call. Tell them what you're mounting it on, and the diameter of your handlebars. They'll have something that works.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts