Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I've done a little searching already so I know that this topic has been covered quite a bit in recent posts.

Ideally, I'd like to replace my airbox on my bone stock 1977 CB550 K with individual air filters (cone style) on each carb. I love the look when the air filter box is removed, but I don't know if I want to deal with the carb jetting issues that come with it. Even though I do have to clean and rebuild my carbs, I'm just not sure it's worth the hasstle. If you've done this job, what is your thought on it? Is it worth it if I've already gotta get in there and rebuild everything?

On the other hand, looking on some of the bike parts websites, a K&N OEM replacement filter is around $70 (!!) but from what I can tell, that's going to be the best bang for the buck with the least amount of headache. Does anyone have any experience with the K&N? Is it worth dropping the cash for?

Thanks, everyone!

-----------------
1977 Honda CB 550 K

·
Registered
278 Posts
You should understand exactly what the job entails before you do it. If you just swap the air filters, but keep the side covers, battery box, and electrics that are hidden in there, it's not too difficult a job.

Whether you have to rejet will be trial and error, unless you can find someone else with exactly the same configuration at your elevation that has done it. Otherwise, more air means more fuel, so you might need to rejet. It's not fantastically difficult - it can easily be done in a day, the trick being to just do yourself a favor and buy a range of jets and needles rather than guessing, ordering them, and then discovering that they don't quite do the job.

I'm fairly certain that $70 filter is a non-disposeable part, so it is worth it if you intend to keep your bike long enough to require multiple air filter replacements.

Pods won't noticeably improve performance without carb and exhaust modifications, so you should ask yourself whether the aesthetic improvement is worth the hassle. For me, yes, but for you, perhaps not - you said you HAVE to clean and rebuild your carbs - I typically say I GET to.

A

1 - 3 of 3 Posts