Cafe Racer Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Suzuki Intruder 800, Honda Superdream 250N, Sanya SY125-11
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
Very new to the Cafe Racer scene, i picked up a very cheap 125cc and wanted to tinker with it and decided it was so ugly that i want to turn it it into something better looking.
the bike is a SANYA SY125-11, yeah i know!
well i had two options, throw it in the bin or use it to practice for future projects so here goes the dilema.

it has some weird Air Induction system and i was wondering what to do with it as i want to install a pod filter where the big old filter box was but what are all these tubes and do i need them?

This bit sits under the tank on the right side, A goes to the main Airfilter Box, B goes to the inlet valve of the Carb, C goes to the cylinder head.
do i need them, what will happen if i block the all off? can i get away with putting a mini pod filter on Point A?

This is where the C pipe goes below:

and of course i have a breather pipe that goes into the engine from the main air box, can this be replaced with another mini pod filter?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm not familiar with the model but just going by the pictures.
If pipe c goes to a gallery that ends up in the exhaust port, then it's a form of air injection for emissions and could be deleted, but not if it doesn't go to the exhaust.
The hose in the bottom picture is probably part of the crank case breathing which you must keep
Just my thoughts needs confirming

·
Registered
1979 XS750
62 Posts
GT Alex is right. They are all just vent hoses. That said, not many guys here are a fan of “pod filters”

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not familiar with the model but just going by the pictures.
If pipe c goes to a gallery that ends up in the exhaust port, then it's a form of air injection for emissions and could be deleted, but not if it doesn't go to the exhaust.
The hose in the bottom picture is probably part of the crank case breathing which you must keep
Just my thoughts needs confirming
Thanks GT Alex, so do you think the hose on the crank case can be replaced with a mini Cone filter?
Also, i guess you are right about Hose C as this would be an exhaust connection as it is literally right behind the outlet so i guess i could plug it up.
but what about Hose A that goes straight to the main AirFilter box? would i need to replace this with a Mini Cone?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GT Alex is right. They are all just vent hoses. That said, not many guys here are a fan of “pod filters”
Thanks, so what do you guys do about getting rid of the big ugly AirFilter box which takes up so much room?

·
Registered
100 Posts
If c goes into the exhaust you can make a small blanking plate to go on the head and pipe a and the vacuum pipe b and the valve and the bracket can all go.
You will probably need an oil baffle before the mini cone or you will always be cleaning up oil.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If c goes into the exhaust you can make a small blanking plate to go on the head and pipe a and the vacuum pipe b and the valve and the bracket can all go.
You will probably need an oil baffle before the mini cone or you will always be cleaning up oil.
Thanks, what is an oil baffle?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Like small can with offset inlet and outlet the air and oil puffed into it slows and the oil falls from suspension and runs back, sometime there is wire gauze inside.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Like small can with offset inlet and outlet the air and oil puffed into it slows and the oil falls from suspension and runs back, sometime there is wire gauze inside.
Where can i find one that would fit the little 125 Alex??

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
Thanks, so what do you guys do about getting rid of the big ugly AirFilter box which takes up so much room?
Well on a really nice motorcycle, the airbox is also what you would sit on because it also forms the sub frame, it holds on the rear fender and you use it to hold on the exhaust system too. Best made of thick formed plastic, it will also be your inner fender to protect the rest of the engine.

... & that's your fuel vapour recovery system in the photos above.
? what's the current fine in Britain for tampering with your vehicles pollution control devices, or are you building a race bike?

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
"and of course i have a breather pipe that goes into the engine from the main air box, can this be replaced with another mini pod filter?" not well it can't.

It's a 125cc single cylinder engine, it moves as much air through that vent pipe as the engines displacement, except the air coming out contains additional blow-by gasses, water vapour and unburnt fuel residue and the best place for all that to go is into your airbox, which has a drain on the bottom and a large volume of reasonably still clean air to draw from.

... want to know what happens if that crankcase breather filter plugs up when you are tearing down the road? It involves a whole bunch of engine oil in the wrong places and smoke followed by mechanical noise.

·
Administrator
31 Posts
Hi All
Very new to the Cafe Racer scene, i picked up a very cheap 125cc and wanted to tinker with it and decided it was so ugly that i want to turn it it into something better looking.
the bike is a SANYA SY125-11, yeah i know!
well i had two options, throw it in the bin or use it to practice for future projects so here goes the dilema.

it has some weird Air Induction system and i was wondering what to do with it as i want to install a pod filter where the big old filter box was but what are all these tubes and do i need them?

This bit sits under the tank on the right side, A goes to the main Airfilter Box, B goes to the inlet valve of the Carb, C goes to the cylinder head.
do i need them, what will happen if i block the all off? can i get away with putting a mini pod filter on Point A?
and of course i have a breather pipe that goes into the engine from the main air box, can this be replaced with another mini pod filter?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
All that stuff is EURO3 emissions requirements. You can remove it all. I did on my little Chinese 250 Cafe Racer.

Where it bolts into the exhaust port, you can either blank it off with some flat steel/aluminium as someone mentioned, or do what I did.

I don't have a drill press to precisely drill a blanking piece, so I cut off the pipe leading into the EP about 6mm (1/4") long. As the pipe is quite thick and is steel, I tapped it with a metric tap and then cut a bolt short enough to be flush with inside of the bracket. I then applied high-heat resistant epoxy to the thread and screwed it in.

Note: Remove it from the engine if you are going to do this.

This process means that it can't be reversed, as it can by manufacturing a blanking plate. It was just easier for me.

One hose also ran from the vacuum switch to the carb, I just blocked that off at the carb with some fuel line.

Finally, I simply placed a little filter on the tube leading from the crankcase, and removed all the other stuff.

I'm not sure why guys here don't like pod filters, but I have been using them since the early 70's.

The white foam under the CC filter is just to stop it rattling on the plastic toolbox.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts