Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Ken -

Some years ago I was not too far from where you're at. I spent a year up there as a Gov't rep for the FAA as some Microwave Landing Systems were installed at airports. Started in Nome, ended up in Homer but hit a lot of villages in between over the course of a full year, including St Mary's/Mountain Village, which if I'm not mistaken is probably not much more than 100 miles as the crow flies from Hooper Bay. Spent about a month in St. Marys, in the winter. Boy was it cold and dark. 30 below or so and up to 60 knot winds for a lot of it. Not as windy as out on the chain or on St. Paul Island, but pretty close. I remember driving the FAA snowmobile out onto the middle of the frozen Yukon River. Spooky - especially when the ice shifted a bit and made a lot of noise.

I was in Unalakleet during the Silver run - that was great.

Cheers -

Michael

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Hi Michael,
Yup, that is where we're at. I have spent plenty of time in St. Marys and Pilot Station. The Yukon can be like the freeway for snow mobile traffic in the winter. It is pretty cool. Out here on the coast, I have snowmobiled out on the Bering Sea. Kind of a unique experience. I am looking forward to not spending another winter out here. Minnesota won't be a lot better, but will be shorter.

My brother is moving to the Salem,OR soon, so I may be out your way for a visit. If possible I will try and get in a race at Portland, If I can talk him back into racing too. I think the 160 class would be fun and I could build a bike and leave it at his place.

Ken

1 - 2 of 2 Posts